It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, this Anon character makes ATS less of what it was.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Examine the cookies in your browser and you question will be answered.

Haha. I am not paranoid about cookies, and I suppose the people that are paranoid would change the properties. Still kind of funny though.

Originally posted by killjoy45
The best conspriacies are discovered from leaked information. Example:If you had proof that the CIA was mind controlling GWB to get him to do what they want. would you register a account and post it? hell no you wouldn't.

Ummm...whereas if you did NOT register an account you would feel perfectly safe using your home or work PC to mess with the feds via an anonymous ATS post?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
why even have a membership if there's not one needed to post here . and there's no accountability for their post's when they are not a member of this community. also it only invites confusion and anarchy to a generally civil community . there for we are all being lessened as a member's of a special group of people. VERY VERY OPPOSED TO ANONYMOUS POST'S ..........

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What I hate is going back to a thread because it sais an anonymous user has made a new post. Then you go back to the thread and there aren't any new posts. Since the anonymous posts have to be reviewed first isn't this way too much trouble than it's worth? All that extra work just to make sure the anonymous user's point is topic appropriate and a valid argument.

If they provide information you are taking their word for it unless that information is cited. That's dangerous isn't it? That information could be someone else's college thesis paper or whatever. It's a loss of accountability in a way. I'm just saying it's one way people could abuse this privelage provided to them so that they can post without having to register, meanwhile not having to be held accountable for that abuse.

Sometimes when registered users make posts that break the rules here, they get points deducted. Sometimes in the thousands do they not? An anonymous poster can post whatever they want and it doesn't matter. Yet we who are registered should lose points if we make the same argument?

-ChriS

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Geeeesh...Goes to show you how dumb you can be,,I had no idea that that poster was a bunch of differant folks. Some times I thought the person liked the topic then another post showed up on the same thread and it was an oposite position..I was getting real confused...I surely do feel like I just fell off the turnip truck!!
Zindo

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
All that extra work just to make sure the anonymous user's point is topic appropriate and a valid argument.

That is the main issue I would have with formally sanctioned anonymous posts. I'd like to know what controls, if any, are in place to lessen the impact of bias or prejudice. It seems intuitive that the anonymous poster feature could be used to steer discussion or topics in particular directions.

Heck, for all we know...the anonymous post function could be part of a social engineering experiment...and we're the lab rats. It's feasible.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

That thought probably occurred to other users.

I don't see many people responding to that account, either, so it could be that quite a few have it on ign.

Myself, I don't plan on responding to anyone posting that way, nor do I bother reading those posts, though I don't have it on ignore right now.

Maybe the Mgmt will discontinue it, but I'm not hopeful.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Here is why the Annon poster is STUPID:

ALL ATS MEMBERS ARE ANNON!!!!!!!

What the hecks the point of making an annon post to .. what .. keep your annon post private? lol..

It's redundant, and for a while I thought it was the same person just posting a lot.. then noticed no info for it.

I don't like it.

I didn't like the Annon board before either, it was an excuse for the most ignorant of users to post the most ignorant content. Now we have annon on the board?

What ever...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RockpuckWhat the hecks the point of making an annon post to .. what .. keep your annon post private? lol..

Don't you visit forums where you are not registered? Aren't there times when you really want to post something, but don't want to bother signing up, so you just skip it? You might also not want to be responsible for what comments or flaming you might do, or you might be paranoid on some boards.

(Anonymous posters may believe they are unable to be tracked; they're wrong, of course.)

The benefit for ATS as a site is different. (You can figure that out, yourself).

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Oh stop being babies. It's a great new addition and it adds tons of new experience and flavor to ATS, not only that but will bring in more members.

It is your duty as experienced ATS members to teach the the law of the land.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think you should only be "allowed" 2 or 3 ANON posts till you have to register. It shouldn't be something you can continually do. Maybe it is like that for all I know, haven't heard much about it.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
... It's a great new addition and it adds tons of new experience and flavor to ATS, not only that but will bring in more members....

If 90% of the traffic is non members and now a non member can post a reply, why would it bring in new members. I have seen posts that stated a person signed up so that they could make a post. Does not seem like it will get more people to sign up necessarily.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

No I don't visit other forums, and if I did I would enter my e-mail address for a free account!!

IF I see another thread dragged up from 5 years ago because of some Anonymous twit I swear I am going to scream!!!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Because they will gain confidence and want to become a member. Sometimes people like to feel out the water a little bit before they enter the lake, you know? Sure maybe not ALL Anon's will register, but a few of those constantly lingering one's might just say, "hey... I can just go ahead and create a membership now, I like this."

And by the way, WHAT is so bad about this? I really don't get why so many of you are making such a huge stink, it seems like you almost just want something to be angry about. It hasn't effected me at all and I enjoy some extra input, whether it says anaon under it's title or member.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
No worries, it's really not a big issue.
For the first time in the years I've been a member here I put an account on "IGNORE".
Just block all posts by "Anonymous ATS" and you'll never see another post by someone not logged in as a member.

To me, this defeats the purpose of "Free Speech." After all, think about all of the "anonymous" protesters in the movie "V" & the similar "V's" that showed up in Washington D.C. last year? Even the Washington Post heard what they were saying. How can all voices be heard if anyone is ignored?

However, I do agree to the point that Members can come to be known better that the Anon posters...It's easier to understand the basic philosophies of those you know, compared to knowing that any Anon post could be a different person each time. Also, the time-lag between Anon's post following behind Members' responses gets a bit confusing...Sort of like time-jumping during the middle of a conversation.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Badge01

No I don't visit other forums, and if I did I would enter my e-mail address for a free account!!

Nonsense. In addition, just because I tried to -explain- why someone would post anonymously doesn't mean I agree with the concept.

I wasted about 5-10 min today clicking on threads which turned out to be as yet unapproved Anonymous-ATS postings. Some are still unapproved from several days ago (which is probably understandable, given the backlog).

Just about ready to click the 'ignore' button on that account.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Have to agree with most here. There really is no point to being anonymous when in reality we are all anonymous but with a screen name. Get rid of it.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Just change the anony account to guest account and be done with it.

I don't want to loose the valuable input from lurkers just because of the stigma attached to the name "anonymous"

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

I do believe some of these posters may in fact join after getting their feet wet. I still think that the majority will not. I bet there will be some permanent anonymous posters who lurk and post hiding behind the basically nameless anonymous label. Guess that is OK if that is how they want to participate in a discussion forum.

I am not totally against the idea of the anonymous poster. These people will not be part of the community in the real sense but that is their call.

Edit: change 'view' to 'participate'

[edit on 5/20/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
While I agree with the OP's sentiments largely, I must admit that from what I've seen so far, the Anon's posts do not seem to be disruptive...
Maybe, we'll get a few Whistleblowers who would otherwise avoid signing up and get some key information on an important event.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
No worries, it's really not a big issue.
For the first time in the years I've been a member here I put an account on "IGNORE".
Just block all posts by "Anonymous ATS" and you'll never see another post by someone not logged in as a member.

To me, this defeats the purpose of "Free Speech."

Nope, that's not what defeats the purpose. The purpose of "Free Speech" is defeated by having the posts cleared by moderators who may have a particular opinion or ideology. Putting the account on "ignore" does nothing to impede the post creation. Makes no difference really....I doubt the ownership of ATS has been sworn to uphold the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. They make the rules.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join