It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huckabee jokes about Obama ducking gunman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

"That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak," said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. "Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor."

The irony is that Huckabee immediately follows his quip with:

"The concern that I have is that there is a growing sense that people do not understand that the future of our culture and civilization depends on people who understand that a democracy can not operate in a moral vacuum. The reality is this. If we want less government and we want less expensive government, the quickest path to get there is for us to live more honestly and more ethically."

I'd say he unabashedly failed his own test. Don't you?

It really is pathetic how vacuous the Republican leadership has become.

What a bozo.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by loam]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hmmmm.....Maybe it's because I'm from Arkansas as well, but I thought it was funny.

He's giving a prepared speech, something happens so he ad libs a line, it just happens to be the one line that's probably going to get him in tomorrows headlines.

He's still running for Vice President ya know

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm sorry, i just don't get that.

Let me be clear about a few things first: I support the second amendment and I don't support Obama for the presidency.

Now, with that out of the way, what's funny about a 'joke' where someone is aiming a gun at a presidential candidate...and a black one at that???

Moreover, this wasn't made by Joe-Blow in the street of Arkansas, but by one who has the national stage as a political leader.

You really think that's funny? Is that what we want as a representation of our national political discourse?

And the joke itself is even more preposterous in the context of an NRA speech whose position has always been the RESPONSIBLE use of firearms.

Why is aiming a gun at anybody funny???

Finally, what should someone do when a gun is pointed at them? Stand their ground???

This is so pathetic from so many angles, I can't stand it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Lighten up my friend, the guy ad libbed a line he thought the audience would appreciate. It was the NRA he was speaking to.

It had nothing to do with Barack being black, it had to do with his politics.

The Huckster is a Southern Baptist minister who got elected to leutenant (sp) governor and then got to be governor when the guy who's running for mayor of my town right now was thrown out of the Governor's office. (God I love being from the South)

I think your taking this way too seriously.

Still, enjoy. I've always loved your contributions to the boards and I'm sure this one will be a great trip as well.

Just ignore me. I'll go sit in the corner and watch for awhile.

Love and light,

wupy

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If I recall correctly (from several appearances on the Colbert Report), Huckabee has a tendency to run his mouth like this and say stupid things from time to time. He's a say-before-you-thinker, if you will.

I'm sure the guy didn't mean to raise any alarms or piss anyone off, although his remarks were inappropriate at best. It's common for some orators to get caught up in the laughter or rabble and say something they wouldn't normally let slip - Micheal Richards, anyone?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
loam,

Why did you have to throw "and a black one at that" in to the equation? I don't think for a minute that Huckabee was saying anything about Obama's race. I think it was a poke against an opposing party's candidate that obviously has expressed more gun control...that makes sense. I see no reason to bring Obama's race into the issue.

Now - do I think it was humorous? No...his attempt at ad lib failed, but I don't think he meant anything evil by it...he just needs to stick with the script.

[edit on 5-16-2008 by Valhall]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
With all due respect to mrwupy, I didn't think his ad-lib was funny at all. I doubt you can call me a gun-control advocate either, based simply on my screen name and avatar.

With the worries that have surfaced about Obama being assassinated and the present climate of gun control, Huckleberry's remark was both ill-timed and ill-advised. I would be willing to bet good money that any political aspirations he may have had just went up in smoke. He harmed his own reputation, but worse, he harmed the image of gun rights advocates everywhere.

I wonder how long before the NRA publicly rebukes him?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

My interjection of "and a black one at that" is an acknowledgment that in Obama's case an 'additional' risk is present and makes Huckabee's comment all the more irresponsible. There is no denying history and the political climate of certain segments of our society. Does that make sense?

mrwupy: I don't think this is something to lighten up about. I think the 'joke' utterly distasteful.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I didn't laugh, and I laugh at anything.

I've seen Eddie Murphy perform a show where he gave his impression of the first black POTUS's Inauguration Speech:
Eddie quickly approaches the podium, bobbing and weaving, steps up, says a few words steps down, moves around in a serpentine fashion, steps back up, utters a few more words quickly, etc...

I laughed my a*s off.

I think Huckabee made a weak attempt at an ill-conceived version and butchered the delivery, so it wasn't funny to me.

Just so I'm clear also, I believe all people should treat everyone as they themselves wish to be treated. I know it is in very poor taste to those who feel that certain things cannot possibly contain humor..., but I plead innocent to pre-meditated intent to cause anyone harm, maybe I'm crazy, but I find humor finds me, in strange places sometimes.

Edit for symptoms of being crazy

[edit on 16-5-2008 by FewWorldOrder]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
He harmed his own reputation, but worse, he harmed the image of gun rights advocates everywhere.

I just read your post.

Exactly.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It was a bad joke at a conference where there are probably lots of guns on display. Getting a gun pulled on you at an NRA event is not necessarily a bad thing, if you know what I mean.

Nonetheless, such humor doesn't really strike a chord with most NRA members, because we take so much flak from the press and the liberals that anything that smacks of irresponsible gun-handling gives us the creeps.

But, it was an off the cuff remark to a sudden noise in the background that did no more than garner a few nervous chuckles.

There will be a lot more gaffs to exploit before November gets here.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
mrwupy

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Originally posted by loam

Now, with that out of the way, what's funny about a 'joke' where someone is aiming a gun at a presidential candidate...and a black one at that???

How do you know the gun was black?

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
How does this affect me??? Oh...it doesn't.

join