It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Peel and Stick Tasers' (Electric Riot Shields) 'Electrify Riot Control'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

'Peel and Stick Tasers' (Electric Riot Shields) 'Electrify Riot Control'

blog.wired.com

Pretty soon, cops won't just be packing stun guns. They'll be carrying electrically-charged riot shields, zapping their unruly without unholstering their weapons. That is, if the folks at Taser International have their way.

The company just introduced the "Taser Shield Conversion Kit featuring the Taser Repel Laminate Film Technology."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Yee-haw! Now get ready to be corralled into your "free speech zones" via "electrified riot shields" you peons! People getting fried and having their hearts stopped with stun-guns wasn't enough, now we're graduating to "shock shields" to help break those evil crowds of protestors up!

The kit "features a peel and stick perforated [f]ilm, power supply and necessary conversion equipment. This laminate becomes electrified providing a powerful deterrent to protect officers and keep suspects or rioters at bay." What could possibly go wrong?

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Just need someone to come up with a hand held EMP weapon that could combat these in an instant.

CX.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I like that thors shield technology. too bad it's only for cops. I'm thinking the material they make the taser proof clothes from is actually pretty simple to replicate privately. we should arm the populus with these items of clothing, make the evil tasers useless, and yes tasers are evil in my opinion.

too bad the only solution to a cop abusing a taser is to respond overwhelmingly to the police thuggery called tase first ask questions later. there is a reason the primary use of a taser is for pain compliance. seriously don't tase me bro didn't deserve 500,000 volts through his heart,brain and other major organs. those cops were abusing the tech it was plainly evident,they need to be fired for crimes against humanity.

seriously the last dip that used a stun gun on me went to the hospital for multiple abrasions to his face, due to some grinding of his cheek againt a stucco wall and gad to get his jaw wired shut. and you know what, the punk deserved it.

tasers make me disgusted and so due the people who abuse them. ok my personal diatribe and rant against taser use has been vented. i feel better now.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

If this kind of escalation keeps up cops will need more than this--peaceful protesters who get zapped repeatedly with high voltage may not be so "peaceful" for long.

Every new weapon, every new bit of military training for police, every step we take toward the full Police State, is a step toward violent insurrection. The People, once they fully realize the extent of the threat, will not sit idly by for long.

Bob help us all when the whole thing blows.

Edit: If the cops start using this crap every protest should be done in the rain. See how well it works then!

[edit on 5/13/2008 by The Nighthawk]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
good call nighthawk and nice post op

shouldnt it be obvious that something is wrong when they keep having to arm authorities more and more against us, the People?

You can bet your a$$ an EMP is the way to go. They are not that difficult to make either...

Edit to add:

Anyone viewing this should know that I do not know how to make one nor do I want to learn.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by jmilla]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is getting ridiculous. Taser technology has been proven again and again to be bloody dangerous.

I can imagine, if these are put into general use, people being penned in by walls of police and just being zapped to death.

What's wrong with water for 'keeping us away' in a riot? At least people can get away from that. If you get zapped and fall, the chances of seizing and being trampled on are quite high.

Truly pathetic.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Those sound pretty neat, actually. I'm wondering how well they'd work in the rain, though. I imagine they'd be damn efficient the next time a pro sports championship team's home city decides it's time to start flipping cars and busting into storefronts.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Those sound pretty neat, actually. I'm wondering how well they'd work in the rain, though. I imagine they'd be damn efficient the next time a pro sports championship team's home city decides it's time to start flipping cars and busting into storefronts.

And Burdman chimes in with the pro-Authoritarian response! Seriously, dude, it's almost like clockwork with you. What are you, the reincarnation of J. Edgar Hoover?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmilla
good call nighthawk and nice post op

shouldnt it be obvious that something is wrong when they keep having to arm authorities more and more against us, the People?

It's baffling, especially considering crowds themselves haven't really changed, and most of the protests where one will see this kind of hardware are of the peaceful variety.

The more weapons they develop for these operations, the less likely protesters are to remain peaceful. Weapons of such ilk are designed not just for their utility, but to openly threaten the populace. The People, when threatened, will either fight or flee, and I think the number of potential fighters is growing with the escalation in force by the authorities.

If I was paranoid I'd say it's almost as if the authorities want riots to happen........

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Or the next time an outraged populace decides to march up to capital hill to protest the endless corruption and lawbreaking stop, or the next time the populace gathers in the streets in protest of jury-free aquitals of cops killing unarmed people...Lots of "neat" little uses for these fascist control tools I suppose...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Nighthawk
And Burdman chimes in with the pro-Authoritarian response! Seriously, dude, it's almost like clockwork with you. What are you, the reincarnation of J. Edgar Hoover?

No, I actually do think the concept of these taser shields is pretty neat. And no, it's simply different political spectrums between yourself and me. There are types of authority I despise and, to be really honest with you, I'm actually not a big fan of the cops. Hate the ATF, wouldn't urinate on an FCC official if they were on fire. You pick your battles, dude. You pick your battles. I really don't see this huge Orwellian cacotopia that some of you envision forming around the phantom rumor of a police state. I think a great many wolf cries around here reek of fear mongering for no apparent reason.

I might know what the difference is and why I really don't give a damn about tasers, taser shields, etc. I don't get protestors. I don't see the point of it and I think the only thing civil disobedience does is make the rest of us, who are actually trying to get along with our day, turn a blind eye to whatever you're protesting because we think you're acting like an ass. You want to know the real truth about my attitude? The first thing that popped into my mind when I read the article was "I wonder if these shields are bulletproof?" I think that way about a lot of this stuff because, if it ever comes right down to it, I will never be involved in any sort of peacefull protest. If there's something I'm riled up about enough to protest, it will be done in a significantly less than peacefull manner.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

No, I actually do think the concept of these taser shields is pretty neat.

Until they're used against you.

And no, it's simply different political spectrums between yourself and me. There are types of authority I despise and, to be really honest with you, I'm actually not a big fan of the cops.

Then you should be with us on this.

Hate the ATF,

The ATF probably shouldn't even exist. They sure as Hell can't do their jobs right.

wouldn't urinate on an FCC official if they were on fire.

As a former radio personality I'm with you on that.

You pick your battles, dude. You pick your battles. I really don't see this huge Orwellian cacotopia that some of you envision forming around the phantom rumor of a police state. I think a great many wolf cries around here reek of fear mongering for no apparent reason.

What you're seeing as "wolf cries", I'm seeing as legitimate issues in modern law enforcement. When I see people getting a taser in the gut for the crime of talking, and cops blowing away unarmed people without any consquences, and more and more police agencies being trained in military tactics, engaging in "no-knock" searches, etc., I realize the police state is largely already here. The police are beyond the control of the populace they are charged with serving and protecting. They have become a different class of citizen above the rest of us. Is that not a Police State?

I don't get protestors. I don't see the point of it and I think the only thing civil disobedience does is make the rest of us, who are actually trying to get along with our day, turn a blind eye to whatever you're protesting because we think you're acting like an ass.

Wow. Just, wow. Do you honestly think that? Is there, in your mind, any such thing as legitimate, peaceful protest? Was MLK "acting like an ass"? Do things have to get to the "shooting back" level before you'll get involved? Do you realize that if it gets that far, it's probably too late to stop the fall?

You want to know the real truth about my attitude? The first thing that popped into my mind when I read the article was "I wonder if these shields are bulletproof?"

Yes. My understanding is, this is designed to be used with existing bullet-proof riot shields.

I think that way about a lot of this stuff because, if it ever comes right down to it, I will never be involved in any sort of peacefull protest. If there's something I'm riled up about enough to protest, it will be done in a significantly less than peacefull manner.

That's sad. Basically, what you're saying is you don't care until there's violence. Is it because there's no issues you care enough about to protest peacefully, or because you want an excuse to shoot people? Seriously, I'd like to know your honest answer for that.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Erm... that's grim, really grim...

But... what if the cops are standing together shield to shield and one copper accidently triggers his shield to stun mode but it connects with the other shield, wouldn't some sort of short circuit occur?

Also would citizens armed with buckets of water hold their own against these facsists?

What about a hose pipe?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Trust a security manufacturer to turn an item of defence into an item of offence - however "Non-lethal" it's made out to be.

As for the idea about hose pipes - it sounds too good to be true, and i find it unlikely that this particular design flaw will have been overlooked.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Neither, it is because I simply don't see peacefull protesting as making any difference whatsoever. It's also because the only "peacefull" protests that actually have had an effect have been the ones where a small handfull of protestors go from peacefull to opportunistic (ie: smashing windows for looting, crushing a totally innocent truck driver's head with a cinder block). The effect these incidents have had on me, personally, is to make me actually hope for the opposite of whatever the protestor's goal was.

There are also many times when a cop is purely trying to do their job and takes crap for it, often from the same people who are complaining about what we're currently discussing. Let's take, for example, the protesting "Don't tase me, bro!" kid in Florida a while back. You do not have a right to be a nuisance or be a public spectacle in an otherwise quiet setting. The kid went from normal tone, asking his question, to suddenly shouting and flailing around, making a scene. His rights were no more violated than the rights of a convicted fellon are violated when they attempt to buy a handgun.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Neither, it is because I simply don't see peacefull protesting as making any difference whatsoever.

Waht would it take to change your mind?

It's also because the only "peacefull" protests that actually have had an effect have been the ones where a small handfull of protestors go from peacefull to opportunistic (ie: smashing windows for looting, crushing a totally innocent truck driver's head with a cinder block). The effect these incidents have had on me, personally, is to make me actually hope for the opposite of whatever the protestor's goal was.

The people engaging in such activities do the rest of us a disservice. Hundreds of thousands protest peacefully without violence or vandalism. Unfortunately the mainstream media, owned now by the PTB, keep it fairly quiet, regardless of the numbers, to make sure average folks see only the jerks and not the strength of peaceful assembly. The MSM wants people to think peaceful protests either mean nothing, or always turn violent.

There are also many times when a cop is purely trying to do their job and takes crap for it, often from the same people who are complaining about what we're currently discussing. Let's take, for example, the protesting "Don't tase me, bro!" kid in Florida a while back. You do not have a right to be a nuisance or be a public spectacle in an otherwise quiet setting. The kid went from normal tone, asking his question, to suddenly shouting and flailing around, making a scene. His rights were no more violated than the rights of a convicted fellon are violated when they attempt to buy a handgun.

On this I vehemently disagree. See, I studied to be a cop some while back, long before I went into radio. At that time (mid 90s) using a taser on a non-violent subject was called exactly what it is: Brutality. That kid may have made an ass of himself, but he was asking valid questions, and he was not violent. His only offense was talking too loud and not giving up the microphone--hardly something I would consider worth being zapped with tens of thousands of volts. What happened to that kid was no different than what happened to Rodney king, or any other person the cops beat up on to vent their rage. The fact they used a taser on the kid instead of beating his brains out with nightsticks makes no difference. He was brutalized, plain and simple. When I was in the LEO training program such an action was unthinkable, and we were strongly cautioned against such use of force. Tasers were meant to be an option for taking down a violent subject with minimal contact, not a weapon to torture people into compliance. Had I or my professors (who were ex-cops and active prison guards) been in Florida for that event we would have talked the kid down and gotten him out without using force.

Now it's the other way around. Police are using force first, talking later if at all, and the "justice" system lets them get out of it scot-free. I know many an officer who came up the hard way and knew a different way of doing things--and believe me, a lot of them are disgusted with the current ideology of law enforcement. They know when a cop engages in any form of brutality it makes all cops look bad. Trouble is, brutality is fast becoming standard operating procedure.

[edit on 5/13/2008 by The Nighthawk]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Just need someone to come up with a hand held EMP weapon that could combat these in an instant.

CX.

I think a full sized super soaker is the end of that project. I don't think that design folks think these things through.....

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
You never know, some enterprising scientist or garage tinkerer may come up with some kind of 'personal force field' which will neutralize all casual attempts to violate personal space, making simple crimes of personal violence obsolete.

How it might work, who knows, but it could make assault, rape, tasing, handgun violence and similar coercion a thing of the past.

Naive, I know; countermeasures are always not far behind, but you get the thought.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This just in, protesters have discovered a breakthrough way to use the electrified police shields against the police.

A new product, named Salt Water, can be aimed and sprayed at the police shield, causing electrical shorts, and stray current into the bearers hands.

Here... I blogged about it.

Pack your spray bottles people... this should be FUN!

[edit on 13-5-2008 by johnsky]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join