It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Fired Today, For My Bumperstickers!!!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Just wanted to add this. I agree, it not a 1st amendment issue, rather a self expression issue. The employer acted the way they wanted to, and by no means wrong in the eyes of the law. In the eyes of the op however, what they did was wrong, and I agree. If my job ever fired me over bumper stickers, I would have some very strong words for them. And not because I am rebelious, but my car represents a little bit of my personality, and to fire me over bumper stickers is basically firing me over my personality. If they don't like me, then I don't need them. Go somewhere you are wanted, and where people get you. If you can't, then you have to stick it out and follow by their rules, as much as that might suck.

I think they may have drawn a bad impression of you because of your bumper stickers, and fired you because of it. Not for what your bumper stickers actually said. Therefore, its an attack on you, not what your bumper stickers read. Open your own daycare, and take all their clients! Call it the 'The Gay Old Pedophile's Home for the Children' and watch them roll through the door.
Best of luck to you.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I think you got off easy. If you drove that car with those inflamatory stickers in "Cowtipperland" where I live you'd probably get shot.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have had my T-Shirts torn off of me, pens stolen, cars vandalized, etc. etc. etc. for having similar types of messages on them myself. I just stopped advertising there. I use the blogs and forums now to express myself.

BTW, I loved all of your bumper stickers! Especially the "Gay Old Pedaphiles" one! Did you get that one based on what the Young Republicans did back in the 1970s and 1980s?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad Larkin
Just a quick point concerning the OP's post:

I wish you'd all stop this "How could this happen in AMERICA or all places" bull#.

You are no longer the "Land of the Free", live with it or do something about it.

You really think this is an AMERICAN issue?

You actually think that joking about pedophilia around children, anywhere else in the world would be OKAY?

I wonder what some of our members from other countries would have to say about this. Just curious.

And your "land of the free".......should allow an employer to fire ANYONE for ANYTHING. See how that works?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
- The reply where you mentioned that people you had talked to on the phone were also shocked to learn you lost your job due to this.

To this I say, well, if those people were friends, they were probably just trying to sympathise with you, because that is what friends do. If any of them actually believe you were in the right, then I think you need to find a new group of friends.

Yes, that is what friends do, but did it occur to you that maybe her friends actually do agree with her? To say that she needs to find new friends because they don't see it YOUR way is unfair.

I do not know the OP at all other than through what I have read here, and I do agree that she was wronged. She was not even given the opportunity to remove the sticker!

I understand how the use of the word would be inappropriate at a daycare, BUT many have taken it out of context. Besides, her car was parked in an area where no parents could have seen it.

- You also mentioned that your neighbor thought it was a good idea to make your vehicle a freedom of speech example.

What kind of neighborhood do you live in? Also, do you think your neighbor might have also been sympathising with you, since you live right next door?

Do you suppose maybe the neighbor really did think it was a good idea?

You are either very thick headed and stubborn, or you are seeking attention which now seems to include plans for the media.

I am leaning more towards you wanting the attention. Either that, or you are also just plain clueless.

I think the OP is none of the above. She is just trying to fight for what she believes in. If more people in this country did that, maybe the country wouldn't be in the condition in which it is in.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustangshelby
she was wronged. She was not even given the opportunity to remove the sticker!

Besides, her car was parked in an area where no parents could have seen it.

Get a clue people - Once the stickers were read - it didn't matter if they were removed or not. They were a direct reflection of flaws in OP's character that were missed in the hiring process:

1) A lack of common sense.

2) Negligence & disregard of how it could affect the business & its employees. Even if she wasn't parked where they could be seen that day - it bothered the people working there and created a conflict on the first day. No doubt over time some patrons would have become aware of it. Yeah, she could of removed it, but it's best to pull weeds before they sprout seeds and begin to takeover the garden.

3) Combative behavior - Anyone with similar stickers know they create conflict - you're free to create conflict in your own backyard or even public space, not other peoples businesses or private property. She has proven this now by fighting a battle and attempting to save face that will undoubtedly result in failure and potentially damage a business that 90% of responders believe was protecting itself from the OP's damage in the first place.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

I agree that its not a very good message to put on your car, and I also agree that she should have thought twice about putting it on and driving to work, but on the flip side of that coin, what is appropriate these days. I think there is more to it than just the bumper sticker, maybe someone had a grudge, and found a reason to fire her. In this day in age, people say and wear and think alot of diffrent things, was "gay old pedophile" refering to the political party such a horrible atrocity. I think not. They saw the sticker, thought about her character, and fired her. If they really valued her as an employee, they would have worked something out. So maybe its not her car, but her as an employee and the sticker just tore it for them.

I think it goes beyond a stupid slogan.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustangshelby

Yes, that is what friends do, but did it occur to you that maybe her friends actually do agree with her? To say that she needs to find new friends because they don't see it YOUR way is unfair.

Not really because, birds of a feather usually flock together. It actually frightens me that there might be a group of people out there that clueless.

I do not know the OP at all other than through what I have read here, and I do agree that she was wronged. She was not even given the opportunity to remove the sticker!

Removing the stickers doesn't mean her attitude and mindset would be any different.

I understand how the use of the word would be inappropriate at a daycare, BUT many have taken it out of context. Besides, her car was parked in an area where no parents could have seen it.

How can the word pedophile be taken out of context? There were other employees there, who have rights too. Why should they have to look at that crap?

Do you suppose maybe the neighbor really did think it was a good idea?

No. Honestly, for all I know the neighbor might be scared of her being right next door. If that hunk of junk with a bunch of stickers like that was in the driveway next to me, I'd be scared.

I think the OP is none of the above. She is just trying to fight for what she believes in. If more people in this country did that, maybe the country wouldn't be in the condition in which it is in.

I don't agree the country would be better off if more people showed a severe lack of judgement.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitesatan
Why is freedom of speech such a big problem. There are many problems dealing with freedom of speech. Why can't we just follow the constitution as it was written. What has this country come to. If you cant follow the laws then why are you living here. There are rules for a reason and violating them is wrong.

She exercised to right to free speech, and now she has to face the consequences for exercising that right. It's amazing how many people don't realize there's another side to the coin. All freedom of speech does is protect you from prosecution from the government. It doesn't allow you to do or say anything you want without consequence from the private sector.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with politics, conspiracies, freedom of speech, etc.

You have the word ''pedophile'' on your car at a DAY CARE CENTER. No offense meant towards you but you have to have a certain amount of common sense in a situation like that.

Recommending legal action is ridiculous in my opinion. Chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. Lawyers have more important cases to work on, unless they work for the ACLU of course.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
reply to post by enchantress62

Originally posted by enchantress62
Wow! Why don't we just pull the OP out into the street and publicly flogg him/her! Come on ppl this person is obviously young and hasn't learned that freedoms come with a price.

The scary part is she may not have learned the correct lesson here. As she stated, she has a child and has already had one other incident involving her politics at her child's school.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

To me the scary part is that so many ppl want to attack her, call her names, critizise her intelligence, and generally make fun of her just because she might have made a bad judgement and not agreed with the outcome. I mean we are talking about a bumper sticker here, not some lude act she was caught doing in the daycare bathroom or something. I can see why the daycare manager was mad, and I can see why she got fired, but we the public can also give her our opinions without attacking her self esteem, or is it that for some, verbally assaulting her is a fun thing to do? hhhmmmm

I'm not directing that at you personally jsobecky, but I've been reading some of the post's in here and Wow! it's almost like watching a young woman get publicly stoned! Only the weapon's are words.!

[edit on 15-5-2008 by enchantress62]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm going to cover up my "Question Authority" bumper sticker with one that says "I support the whole evil plan". That will get me a raise.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonhb
Yes, offensive in a work environment ,especially where there's kids. I have had pro- bush stickers on my car and the police never gave me a ticket when pulled over. maybe try working on your politics?

Be a republican, break any law you want to, and no punishment? Lots of people are doing it. I might give it a try. Don't worry, I'll just rob banks of people who have a different culture.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It sucks you got fired.

You have the right to express your political views.

BUT:

It upset your employer, who:

Has the right to hire or fire whoever they want.

I used to have some offensive stickers on my old car, but I think being a political dick is kind of a dick move. If I were an employer with the right to hire or fire anyone and saw stickers about how stupid liberals are, or f**k obama or soemthing I would be offended you know. I may not have fired the person, but the thought would of gone through my head.

Point is, you have to deal with what you put out there.

If you call someone an asshole, they might not think you the nicest person around. Or if you talk badly about who they like in politics, its not going to change their mind or make them cross the political line, it will do the opposite and create a bigger divide.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

In most states, unless you are working under a collective bargainng agreement, it's hire or fire at will. I don't think they should have fired you but I don't think you have a leg to stand on legally. I think they have every right to fire you even without a reason. Again I don't think they should have, but I do believe it is the employer's right. Consider it a learning experience.
Jim

[edit on 16-5-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
You are free to have your opinions. The day care clients are free to have theirs as well. Some of them may me Republican. Your bumper stickers are just as offensive to them as a bunch of anti liberal ones would be to you. And to say Republicans are pedophiles at a day care no less will drive away business. Wherever you work you can't offend the customers! The day care would have also gotten rid of you if you had a sticker that said Liberals are pedophiles. It's not about your politics.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Just like to add to the OP your new stickers, well...

They will do you no justice.

Take advise of the majority here and move on and perhaps take them off. Find another way to express your self?

Perhaps buy a guitar?

Join a sporting team?

Do a pottery class?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by enchantress62

Originally posted by enchantress62
To me the scary part is that so many ppl want to attack her, call her names, critizise her intelligence, and generally make fun of her just because she might have made a bad judgement and not agreed with the outcome.

Yes, but think of it this way: ATS is a microcosm of the outside world. The treatment she gets here is indicative of what to expect in the outside world. Indeed, it has already proven to be true: she was unceremoniously fired.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Id like to make a point about the ethics of an employer being able to fire an employee "at will".

Now while I agree that an arbitrary firing is an unpleasant thing to have to go through for the employee, who will it hurt in the long term?

The employer may well have fired a very qualified person from the job for arbitrary reasons. You see, discriminating against someone based on what they are- be it on political ground or even race or nationality, leads some employers to not consider a highly qualified candidate.

Thus the business is left with sub-par performers, since the best performers were discounted. This means that in the long term, that business will suffer.

Thus I would defend the ethics of having "at will" laws because in the end, the free market will decide that an employer making arbitrary and unfair decisions will lose valuable workers and be left with a sub-par team.

That said, however, I must reiterate that the employer was correct in this instance. The bumper stickers cost him/her business; and hinted at unprofessional behaviour from the OP. Sadly, she had to go. Sadly also, the daycare centre may have lost a good employee as a result.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

You go for a job with all those bumper stickers on your car and wonder why you have trouble????

Are you totally clueless and lacking in judgement?????

Firstly, they're not funny, and they look totally unprofessional and inappropriate. The fact that you'd leave that GOP bumper sticker on your car when you got a job in childcare shows you have poor judgement. No wonder you got asked to leave.

Your bumper stickers don't even make sense. They contradict themselves. You've got one bumper sticker stating that you hope every embryo grows up gay. And then you have this bumper sticker calling the republican party gay pedophiles. So, putting those 2 bumper stickers together are you really saying that you want all embroyoes that to grow up to be gay pedophilic republicans, ie every single person that gets born????

Actually if I was a gay person I'd be incredibly offended at the slur that gay = pedophilia. And yet you call yourself a liberal and I presume you support the gay cause. So why would you think that's funny?

And can I ask, why is it to express your political views you seem to need to be as insulting and spiteful as possible? That doesn't sound very mature to me. Those bumper stickers are not edifying to you.

As for wondering about legal action for being fired. Sheesh, you were only hired for a few hours, just learn from the experience and move on. You exercised poor judgement. People make mistakes, it's not a reason to gain financially from it.

And for the record, I am not republican either so don't think I'm coming at you from that angle. I'm just raising my eyebrows at how clueless you've been about this.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join