It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My window keeps crashing every time I go to my E-Mail!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Now for a moment of cussing out the computer,
I hate this stupid thing!
I hate IT!!!!!

Now for the problem, every time I go to my Webbased email and log in, the window that I have it in Crashes! I have no Idea why, it just does! It keeps giving me this "IE has genrated an erorr" thing. but when I go back it loads fine.

I know my Email is being hit with that Mydoom thing (I didn't open any thing!) I know because of the subjects that they have, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. And I don't know if it is my computer or the Mail site. So could some one give me ideas on what would be causing this?

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Have you installed anything recently ?
I have heard of this happening when installing Norton (I believe in that instance the installation failed and corrupted some files).

Also, what OS and version of IE are you using ?

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiosity

Now for the problem, every time I go to my Webbased email and log in, the window that I have it in Crashes! I have no Idea why, it just does! It keeps giving me this "IE has genrated an erorr" thing. but when I go back it loads fine.

Please explain , when you FIRST open your email you get the error and then while still online you reopen IE and you don't get the error?
What OS are you running ? What version of IE?
Whats running in the background? IE on the right side of your taskbar (if Windows) how many icons do you have?

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'm Using IE 6, running windows 2k.

I haven't downloaded anything reasently.

Programs running in the background:
Norton AntiVirus
Yahoo! Messenger

The funny thing is this only happens when I go to my Email. It doesn't happen on other sites. But what happens is I have like two windows open at the same time, one of them I am browsing the site, in the other I wait for my mail to load. what happens is I get a blank screen and it says "Done" on the task bar. so I try to close the Email window, but it gives me an erorr prompt that says do you want to send erorr report ETC. So I close it, it reopens the window, I go to my mail again and it lets me in! It's just strange....

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I'm Using IE 6, running windows 2k.

I haven't downloaded anything reasently.

Programs running in the background:
Norton AntiVirus
Yahoo! Messenger

The funny thing is this only happens when I go to my Email. It doesn't happen on other sites. But what happens is I have like two windows open at the same time, one of them I am browsing the site, in the other I wait for my mail to load. what happens is I get a blank screen and it says "Done" on the task bar. so I try to close the Email window, but it gives me an erorr prompt that says do you want to send erorr report ETC. So I close it, it reopens the window, I go to my mail again and it lets me in! It's just strange....

What service pack are you running?
When was the last time you did a windows update? Or IE update for that matter?
Winsock could be corrupt.
Next time you get the error, there should be a "details" button. Click that and copy and paste it and post it here please
I'd go here and check to see if you need an update, some are very recent.

www.microsoft.com...

[Edited on 29-2-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Never Updated my windows or IE, if I do then I wouldn't be able to attend my cyber school I go to.

I have no Idea what service pack it is the guy that programed it just used the disk.

What the heck is Winsock?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Never Updated my windows or IE, if I do then I wouldn't be able to attend my cyber school I go to.

I have no Idea what service pack it is the guy that programed it just used the disk.

If you can't update you may not be able to fix your problem IF it is IE causing the problem. Why can't you update? would it change info or something or is that what they told you? Just curious

Winsockis an abbreviation for Windows Sockets, a networking API for implementing Windows applications that use TCP/IP, such as FTP and Telnet

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm

If you can't update you may not be able to fix your problem IF it is IE causing the problem. Why can't you update? would it change info or something or is that what they told you? Just curious

Winsockis an abbreviation for Windows Sockets, a networking API for implementing Windows applications that use TCP/IP, such as FTP and Telnet

They said I can't update, because they said that I need IE6 to accsess the site, and I can't change or add anything unless they tell me if I have to, they still own this computer.

And I don't think that that Winsockis is what is the matter...

also don't know if this has anything to do with it, but last summer, when all those worms were making rounds I think I cought one of them. I think it was the SoBig one. Well it attacked my svrhost.exe. I downloaded a pach, but that was like a week after I first got that erorr message. well anyway it isn't there now. but could it have been damaged some way because sometimes when I try and Cut and Paste stuff it doesn't cut nomatter how many times I hit CTRL + C! But then it works...could this also be steming from that? since svrhost.exe has to do with pop up windows and stuff.

Other then that All I could think of is an ad on the page and that serten ad crashes my window.....but I don't know....

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 02:09 AM
link   

They said I can't update, because they said that I need IE6 to accsess the site, and I can't change or add anything unless they tell me if I have to, they still own this computer.

You will still have IE6 after you update, it's the latest version that MS has so far. The difference is that it will be an updated version of IE6 with the latest Service Pack and Patches to fix all the problems they've discovered up till now. I'm sure you can see how that is a good thing!!

This is why I must now ask, what kind of cyber training school thing is it you're a part of? Have you asked them if it's ok to get the official updates from Microsoft?

They should know, unless they are completely ignorant about typical MS Software, that unless you keep your system up to date and patched your system is going to have problems. It will have glitches, security holes and a whole array of other 'user un-friendly' things that NEED attention.

You should verify if it's ok to Update your machine from the Official Microsoft Website. If they say NO, tell them you have a friend who is a certified tech and network administrator who wants to know WHY you aren't allowed to update your system. Trust me, this is a totally valid question to ask, since it's recommended that you keep your system updated for every other computer in the world, so it should be the same for you.

And I don't think that that Winsockis is what is the matter...

You're probably right. If it was a problem with winsock, you'd most likely be having other problems as well. Since you can't update either, this problem would have always been happening since winsock would be the same now as it was from day 1.

also don't know if this has anything to do with it, but last summer, when all those worms were making rounds I think I cought one of them. I think it was the SoBig one. Well it attacked my svrhost.exe. I downloaded a pach, but that was like a week after I first got that erorr message. well anyway it isn't there now. but could it have been damaged some way because sometimes when I try and Cut and Paste stuff it doesn't cut nomatter how many times I hit CTRL + C! But then it works...could this also be steming from that? since svrhost.exe has to do with pop up windows and stuff.

CTRL+C copies and CTRL+X cuts. I don't know if that was what you meant or not, so I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

It is possible that damage from a virus has been done and is causing your problem. If the virus was effectively caught and removed by antivirus software when it originally hit you, then you should be ok. If it was allowed to infect you and then removed later, some kind of damage may have been done already. Removal of the virus then may or may not fix all of the damage. All the more reason why you NEED UPDATES.

There are some additional steps I could recommend but I don't know how well you know your way around the Operating System itself and how comfortable you are with checking services and stuff. But if you'd like to try, let me know.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Three word "Get a mac"
Up until recently when really dumb people caught on you never saw those "books for dumbiees" or "an idiots guid to..." for macs that is becasue they are so simple! Strongly sugest getting one....

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
This is why I must now ask, what kind of cyber training school thing is it you're a part of? Have you asked them if it's ok to get the official updates from Microsoft?

I attend Grade school online, you know like that collage thing that keep advertsing on TV, But only for grade school. It's a local charter school.

And they have up on their site that I can't download anything UNLESS it is tottaly needed. like Paches for viruses and loop holes.

They should know, unless they are completely ignorant about typical MS Software, that unless you keep your system up to date and patched your system is going to have problems. It will have glitches, security holes and a whole array of other 'user un-friendly' things that NEED attention.

Well in the case of that happening they just take the easy way out....get a new computer....but I also have this problem where I have my extra curicular activities stored on this computer and I have no CD burner......so I try to work around stupid glitches and problems. because we can't even take it to the local computer repair shop because they won't alow it.

You should verify if it's ok to Update your machine from the Official Microsoft Website. If they say NO, tell them you have a friend who is a certified tech and network administrator who wants to know WHY you aren't allowed to update your system. Trust me, this is a totally valid question to ask, since it's recommended that you keep your system updated for every other computer in the world, so it should be the same for you.

Well for one I have no 'friends' that are computer techs that live close. exsept for the computer guy from the local repair shop wich we can't go to. So you see I'm in a rut here.....

You're probably right. If it was a problem with winsock, you'd most likely be having other problems as well. Since you can't update either, this problem would have always been happening since winsock would be the same now as it was from day 1.

What kind of problems. I have this problem where I can't clean out my cookies, when the guy programed it the physical memory wouldn't hold squat, and now it is taking longer and longer to get stuff to load! It could just be the memory, I don't really know. Because I can't even get a new video or memory card, I would have to get a new computer if I wanted more memory! :bnghd:

CTRL+C copies and CTRL+X cuts. I don't know if that was what you meant or not, so I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

I knew that alredy. I just like to use Cut and Paste instead of copy and paste....easier to remember.

It is possible that damage from a virus has been done and is causing your problem. If the virus was effectively caught and removed by antivirus software when it originally hit you, then you should be ok. If it was allowed to infect you and then removed later, some kind of damage may have been done already. Removal of the virus then may or may not fix all of the damage. All the more reason why you NEED UPDATES.

Yeah...I also had this worm that the programer guy put in when he was installing everything (He used copies). but I walled it off. so no harm there.

There are some additional steps I could recommend but I don't know how well you know your way around the Operating System itself and how comfortable you are with checking services and stuff. But if you'd like to try, let me know.

I know it pretty well. I just don't want to mess with the regstry or any vital files because I don't want to make a mistake and erase my whole hardrive!

Originally posted by samfashow
Three word "Get a mac"
Up until recently when really dumb people caught on you never saw those "books for dumbiees" or "an idiots guid to..." for macs that is becasue they are so simple! Strongly sugest getting one....

I would love to exsept the school site doesn't suport mac or Netscape. so I'm stuck with this this crappy thing until it completly dies.

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by Curiosity]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   

And they have up on their site that I can't download anything UNLESS it is tottaly needed. like Paches for viruses and loop holes.

Ok, well in this case you aren't breaking any rules then. Patches and Holes within the Operating System is exactly what you'll be downloading and installing. The process is about as simple as it gets also, so there isn't a whole lot you even need to do yourself, the system will do most of the work on it's own.

First thing is to make sure you're logged in as either 'Administrator' or an account with 'Administrator Rights'. If you don't know, don't worry, you'll find out as soon as you begin updating your system anyway. If it tells you that you don't have Administrative Priviledges, then you don't, otherwise you do.

Second, go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com...
Click where it says 'Scan for Updates'
On the Left side you'll see 3 catagories named:
1)Critical Updates and Service Packs
2)Windows 2000
3)Driver Updates
and there will be a number next to each catagory. The one you're interested in right now is the first one(Critical Updates and Service Packs) only. If it has a number next to it, other than 0, then those are the Updates you'll want to get, if 0 then stop there. Below those catagories it should say 'Review and Install Updates', click there. Then you should see a list of items to be downloaded and installed. Click the button 'Install Now' to begin the process.

Depending on what all is in the list you may have to do this more than once. Some things can only be installed one at a time, others can be done in chunks. Just let it choose what it wants and you'll be fine. Another thing is some of them may be pretty big. If you're on a dial up connection to the internet, you'll just have to be patient during the process, or you might want to try some other way to get them if possible.

If there is a Windows 2000 service pack in the list, then that will be the biggest one by far. Windows 2000 right now is at Service Pack 4. You can see which one you are running right now by going to 'System' inside the 'Control Panel'. The 'General' tab of the 'System Properties' window will tell you the Operating System you're using, what version and Service Pack. If it's not Service Pack 4 and you're using 2000, then expect it to be on the list of updates.

If that all makes sense to you, give it a shot and let me know your progress. If you have a problem, let me know that as well, good luck.

Well for one I have no 'friends' that are computer techs that live close. exsept for the computer guy from the local repair shop wich we can't go to. So you see I'm in a rut here.....

Understood. The company who is lending you this computer should really be responsible for the upkeep if they're going to restrict you from outside support. It makes no sense why they prohibit professional service unless they planned on providing it themselves. I guess they're assuming magic elves or miracles will keep everything working or something.

I have this problem where I can't clean out my cookies,

If all else fails you can do this manually. I'll explain this too but unless you need to do this right now let's wait until you try the updates first.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
Ok, well in this case you aren't breaking any rules then. Patches and Holes within the Operating System is exactly what you'll be downloading and installing. The process is about as simple as it gets also, so there isn't a whole lot you even need to do yourself, the system will do most of the work on it's own.

Awww you beat me to it. I was going to say that the "update" wouldnt change IE, just "fix" internal problems

See what happens when you snooze on the job

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Okay...I got this "Program not responding" thing when I tried to open a new window! but I don't know why, I clicked it and it loaded. the the "Program not responding" whent away....I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I just thought it was strange.

And I just really don't want to download anything right now because I have very little memory and I don't want to use it all up. So I didn't Download anything...yet....but if this keeps up I will have to download stuff.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I have this problem where I can't clean out my cookies

Ok, I'm going to take you through the Manual Way of cleaning up all your Internet Cookies and junk files. This should not only speed up your machine but clear space as well.

Step 1 Cookies:
~Rt-Click 'My Computer' --> Click 'Explore'. On the left side click the + next to your drive to expand the directory tree.
~Click the + to expand the folder 'Documents and Settings'
~Click the + to expand the folder with your 'Login Name'
~Click the folder 'Cookies' to reveal the contents in the right side of the window. Select all the cookies and delete them.

Step 2 Temp & Temporary Internet:
~Rt-Click 'My Computer' --> Click 'Explore'. On the left side click the + next to your drive to expand the directory tree.
~Click the + to expand the folder 'Documents and Settings'
~Click the + to expand the folder with your 'Login Name'
~Click the + to expand the folder 'Local Settings' You should now see 2 folders, one called 'Temp' the other 'Temporary Internet Files'. Click on each of them so that you see their contents in the Right side of the window. Select all that stuff and delete it.

Step 3 Downloaded Program Files:
~Click the + to expand the folder 'WINNT'
~Click the folder called 'Downloaded Program Files' so you can see it's contents on the right side of the window.
~Select anything with an 'Unknown' or anything else that seems strange and delete it. Don't worry about removing something important. You can remove everything in there without problems. If it is something that you need, your browser will simply download it again the next time it's needed while you're online.

This should help clean out some of the crap that you've collected from surfing the net. If you have a fast internet connection (DSL, Cable, T1, etc.) then you may also want to set your Browser (IE6) to collect and store less Temporary Files. This setting is found under 'Tools' --> 'Internet Options', then click the button 'Settings' and you'll see a slide bar and a number of storage space allowed for Temp. Internet Files. Set it to something like 5 or 10.

This won't amount to a whole lot of space unless your system is really neglected, but it may help a little.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Okay So today I cleaned out my temp. Internet files, did a defrag and deleted some un-needed documents. I also had my hompage hijacked by a site (See my "Not that!!!! not spyware" thread)!

But the strange part is that my mouse won't work....it works but it like takes alot of clicks just to go where you want it to go....is that just because I need a new mouse or what? it isn't cordless. And it isn't my scroll bar because I just used the arow keys and it worked without skipping....

posted on Mar, 7 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Get another browser and kiss IE goodbye.

Try mozilla or Opera.

top topics

join