It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumers give stores some relief but still spend cautiously

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) -- Consumers gave some of the nation's retailers a little relief in April after months of dismal sales, gravitating toward less expensive discounters and wholesale clubs but generally still shying away from stores selling clothes and other non-necessities.

Full Story

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I believe this will continue to be a trend until the economy picks up a lot more. It's especially bad news for the smaller owner/operator stores, who cannot possibly compete price-wise with the giant discount chains like Wal Mart and Costco.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The economy will only be allowed to rebound after everyone but wal-mart is out of business.

Oh yeah, a freind got her "stimulus check" the other day, it was almost enough for her to buy a sandwich for lunch, $6.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
When dollars are tight, people have to make choices about where to spend them.

If you go to costco or target, you tend to get more bang for your buck.

I agree with you that this doesn't bode well for small independent operators.

If I go to one of the stores in my small downtown, socks cost $6 per pair. When I was at costco, I purchased 8 pair of the same socks for $9.

I don't have enough money to shop at my downtown stores anymore. That's my economic reality.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
When dollars are tight, people have to make choices about where to spend them.

If you go to costco or target, you tend to get more bang for your buck.

I agree with you that this doesn't bode well for small independent operators.

If I go to one of the stores in my small downtown, socks cost $6 per pair. When I was at costco, I purchased 8 pair of the same socks for $9.

I don't have enough money to shop at my downtown stores anymore. That's my economic reality.

I always try to buy locally if I can, but sometimes it's just not possible financially speaking. It's bad when you must choose between loyalty to local businesses, or the economic survival of your family.

[edit on 5/8/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

You can pay for it now, or pay later. Buying stuff at wal-mart and the big discount boxes is like buying on credit. You'll be paying for what you buy now for a LONG time to come. Realize THAT! The discount you receive hurts us all, stimulating the economy would be boycotting all the discount stores and buying what you NEED from real peopl who own real businesses. I shop at places where i walk in, and say "HI" to the OWNER of the business. I probably pay more now, but it's not piling on america's collective debt.

And do you really need 9 pairs of socks? How many feet do you have?

My economic reality, on less than $9k/year i live happily and comfortably without ever going to any of these corporate exploitation centers. I pay all my "bills", eat organic food, and still have money left over. I'm not deluded into beleiving that because i'm american, i'm entitled to a 2000 square foot home filled to the top with useless crap. It's just not necessary and i don't expect it to be handed to me either. That's a wealthy luxury, a want, nowhere near a need. What you need is a place where wind and rain don't get at you while you sleep, that's what's meant by shelter, not $100,000 of overpriced gypsum board painted pretty.

Yep, at under $10k/year i've got food, clothes, and shelter in abundance, as well as freedom from 9 to 5 slave labor. My "job" is such an insignificant portion of my time, that if i do a long work week, i may break 20 hours doing what i love to do. I spend at least 40 hours a week doing absolutely nothing that has to do with the system. I bike and skateboard all day, without a damn care about my security, because knowledge makes for a secure future, you can have all the physical possessions in the world, but it means nothing if it all is taken. Wisdom cannot be confiscated.

True, i don't have a family, and neither will in this state of affairs because i refuse to create another life in a world gone mad. There's a word for that, CHILD ABUSE. I refuse to be the one responsible for causing another soul to enter this hell. I will not create a life in order to hand it over to the machine, period. That's just selfish to the utmost degree. I wish i could as i'd love to be able to pass on my legacy via my offspring, but i will not create a life to be fed to the machine.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies

True, i don't have a family, and neither will in this state of affairs because i refuse to create another life in a world gone mad. There's a word for that, CHILD ABUSE. I refuse to be the one responsible for causing another soul to enter this hell. I will not create a life in order to hand it over to the machine, period. That's just selfish to the utmost degree. I wish i could as i'd love to be able to pass on my legacy via my offspring, but i will not create a life to be fed to the machine.

While I'm ever so happy for you that you are surviving comfortably on your $10 K a year, you should disabuse yourself of the notion that it's economically viable for everyone else to do the same.

I'm stunned at your allegation that the simple act of bringing forth life is tantamount to child abuse. Your attitude towards life is so apathetic and self-centered. The person who is selfish is not the one having a child they love and cherish and take care of, by far. There is so much self-sacrifice involved with rearing children that it's almost hilarious to hear it called selfish. It sounds more like you just don't want to have any real responsibilities. If you want to live a slacker lifestyle, then all the power to you, but don't try to hide behind some lame excuse about how the world is not idyllic and therfore it's selfish to bring a child into it. How disrespectful that attitude is, towards your parents and towards all parents.

The world had never been idyllic and never will be. But life goes on...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Thanks for sharing that important story. I'll remember to keep myself updated what's been going on with the world economy.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Well, I enjoy my luxuries and am fine with my six figure salary. I think I am as happy as the 10K/year guy.

Irregardless of you personal bent on life, most folks live in houses, have jobs, drive cars, eat store bought food.....blah blah blah......have kids....etc. There is nothing wrong with living a normal life as defined by the current trends in America.

With a big rise in gas prices.....which we pay at the pump.....and it gets added on to our food.......and our other purchases....we end up paying for everyone elses higher gas expenses as well. You get hit by it from all sides cause lord forbid someone else should take a hit to their bottom line.

This eats up "extra" cash that people save or put aside for a rainy day. Pretty soon folks quit going out to eat, to the movies, to the mall to the local pub.....and so on. Now those places take a hit on their bottom line which in turn affects their suppliers........and it effects their suppliers....and so on. See where I am going? In the end at the beginning of all this, somone loses their job because of needed cutbacks do to loss in profits. This then heads right back up the chain till it reaches the other end and we have lots of folks out of work and unemployment skyrockets all because of a hike in gas prices.

Capitalizm is a nasty thing if left unchecked.

Lets hope it doesn't get that bad.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Buying local is all well and good, but think about it. Local stores that are viable are still getting their goods from foreign sources in most cases, not much out there is stamped "Made In The USA" anymore.

Many of the "Have's" in the US would do well to either have yard sales or donate their extras so that the "Have not's" could afford what they need in way of clothing, food, etc. (btw, this has been done by one of the major cruise lines based out of Seattle...after each cruise they donate new toiletries, shampoos and such, to those in shelters and the homeless)

Spend your money for clothing at the local thrift stores like Goodwill, look to yard sales for other items, even Swap Meets and for food, look for grocery outlet's and bargain food centers in your area.

This is how one keeps the money here in the US and boosts our economy, not buying from large stores. If enough people tried these ideas, the impact just might change some "Big Company" minds out there.

regards,

~Holly

join