It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were to move out of the U.S.A where would you go?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have thought about this before. Actually, I would love to live in England, maybe London, but since it doesn't seem safe, either, I would go to Australia. Not too crowded, great beaches, etc! I'm surprised to see other people thinking about Australia, also. It just seems like the safest to me, not too close to anyone else.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
correct me if im wrong but didnt bush and cheney just buy a ton of land in Argentina? Maybe that should tell us something.....

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

Oh darn it!!!

You weren't supposed to know that!! Dern it!!! I'm the one wearing the Gold Coat.......and now I have to silence ya!

Oh....I'm the one, when you come to Paraguay, just look for the Gold Coat....I'll make ya a deal.....but keep yer mouth shut!!!!

Carlos (ask for ME!!!!)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
For me it would be the Aegean Coast/Mediteranean Coast of Turkey or possibly Cyprus ........ I intend to take early retirement there whithin the next few years. Land is cheap to buy and the cost of living is cheap as is Solar power.

A worst case scenario retreat could possibly be The Falklands - British, remote, loads of land and the Islanders are well used to being self-sufficient-ish.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I love that so many people would choose to live here in Australia. Sadly, I doubt you'd hear Australians share that affection with the US.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The Amalfi Coast or Ireland.

God, what I would give to go to these places...

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicstorm

Hi, I can empathise with all you’ve written as I too live in the UK having moved here 14 years ago from N. Ireland (to get away from ‘The Troubles’). I have been to lots of European countries, US/Canada, Australia, NZ and a few Asian countries. For me the place that has most of the things that appeal to me would have to be NZ! It lacks the cheap cost of living that say US/Canada has (compared to the UK/Europe) and I’d prefer Wellington (my preferred city) to be warmer but the people are so nice and the feeling of being in a modern clean city with a fraction of the people is a nice feeling. I liked the climate of Australia but didn’t like the attitude of the people and the little that I do know of their government suggests that they align themselves with the US and that’s not good. (Perth had a nice dry climate and people where more friendly that Sydney but it felt,,,,, out there?). Yeah, NZ would be my place of choice if I could afford to live/retire there? I do know that I can’t afford to retire in the UK and the weather is mostly rubbish. Also we have a growing population consisting of a certain type or ‘ilk’ are unpleasant! and as far as I can tell our political system is geared to them and not me?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I would love to move to someplace where one does not need to have an air-conditioner on just to be able to breathe like it is here in the summer months and all the way into October. And the expense of having to have the air-conditioner on during those months is increasing every year that goes by too!
I shudder to think how much hotter our summers here are going to be 10 years from now so for this reason myself and my family are most definitely thinking about relocating!
Ideally, it would be purchasing some farm land in Canada where the growing season is long enough to provide food throughout the winter months.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I too yearn to be ‘off the grid’ and be self sustaining. An island sounds great, but to get one big enough to have arable soil, pasture land and it’s own fresh water would be way expensive. And you’d still need to trade with others at some point, unless you’re planning on making/repairing your own tools, cloths, etc. Then there’s the big storms and tsunamis to worry about, pirates (arrrrrr) or other invaders. I don’t think that the NWO is just going to leave people alone, no matter how remote you are. I like the idea of being inland for some reason, but remote to be sure.

Central Canada, NZ, Switzerland or even central or south America all sound pretty nice, but I’ve got the hills of SE Oklahoma in mind.

In the whole wide world there’s no magic place
So you might as well rise, put on your bravest face

-RUSH

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Out of the US? Canada would be the first choice.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by wang_ke_~]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wang_ke_~

I would beg to differ on the long growing season part and would
DEFINITELY BEG TO DIFFER ON PRICES...Vancouver, British Columbia
and area have the nicest weather in all of Canada, but it's still a VERY HARSH
environment for the average American or UK'er or Euro.

It rains a lots, it can snow and housing prices are ASTRONOMICAL
No young person can EVER afford a house here with the AVERAGE
house price now $918,000.00 Canadian dollars (almost a Million US dollars)
or four hundred fifty thousand pounds ... so we are NOT cheap!
Gas is also 5 to 6 dollars a gallon or $1.37 a litre (CAN)
Even Apartment renatsl are NOT cheap at $1200 to $1600 CAN
a month and utilities & expenses are on top of that!

A one bedroom apartment condominium can EASILY cost between
$400,000 to $700,000 CAN so that won't do for a young person.
Vancouver has become a haven for rich people ONLY
who use the place as their "Vacation" home and leave us locals
to live 50km+ away in stuffed-together subburban sub-divisions
that make even New York look spacious by comparison.

Simple groceries such as eggs, milk, butter are TWICE the price
of the equivalent US amounts plus our taxes are a LOT more than
in the US up to 55% of gross income so just to put a bit of reality into
you...Canada is not exactly a cheap place to live in addition
that even in the Vancouver area we can get -10 degrees Celcius or
15 degrees Farenheight in Winter so unless your willing
to locate and live in a sub-arctic conditions, try Northern California
or Mexico instead.

When I'm retired with some savings in the Bank, I'm moving
to the Chilean Wine Country which is stable, wealthy enough for
my standards, and the climate is decent for old bones!
And it's far enough away from the US, Russia and Europe
that major wars could be survived !!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join