It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems with DTV converter boxes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well, it had to happen to somebody, I guess: Our digital TV converter box won't wake up. We had used coupons obtained online to buy an inexpensive digital TV converter box for our old analog TV, and the converter box arrived last week (here in California). We hooked it up and it worked really well. Each night we would shut off the TV, the DTV converter box would go into auto-sleep mode, and we would shut off the power stick that everything was plugged into. The next day we would flip on the power stick and TV set when ready to watch TV, and the DTV would automatically come out of sleep mode, until today that is! It will not come out of sleep mode no matter what. We contacted the manufacturer and Wal-Mart where it was purchased but there are no repair options offered so far. The DTV we used is an RCA Digital TV Converter Box, DTA800:

www.walmart.com...

Wal-Mart says they will give us a refund, but what we'd really like to know is if we will get credit back for another coupon??? Time will tell, I guess.

We contacted a group of DTV converter box users, and out of 50 who bought this model, one other person had this exact same problem happen, so we're looking at about a 1% - 2% failure rate. Here's hoping you other DTV converter box purchasers will have better luck than we did.

FYI: These DTV coupons don't cover the whole cost of the DTV unit, and you still have to pay the sales tax.

[edit on 5/6/2008 by Uphill]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
We are having the same problem! We installed it last night and watched great TV all eve. We turned the TV and the converter box off with the new remote and this AM only the TV comes on with Snow. The converter box is off no green or yellow lights. We can find not assistance by phone or online. HELP!!!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

when we conected our converter box, We lost channel 5 wptz completely. Before the box that channel came in good,

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
RCA DTA800 from Wal-Mart - In the direction booklet, I read there is a 4 hour timer that has to be changed. I can not get into the menu to do anything and half the channels down come in and the other are snowy and worse.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Yup, I'm beginning to think that some of these converter boxes are more equal than others. I did find one good web page recently set up by Consumer Reports on this topic, so start with that:

www.consumerreports.org...

Techie websites such as CNET are starting to look at DTV converter boxes in a more in-depth way. Here's a link for that:

reviews.cnet.com...

Both these websites provide one or more forums where you can explain about your DTV converter box problem and get advice. In fact, that is what I will be doing as well. Good hunting!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I have had an RCA800 for only two weeks and have had the exact same problem. Was on standby all night - yellow light on - switched it on - green light- in the morning and in just a couple of minuets the light went out, never to come back on.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'd read on another forum that running the converter box now results in picture quality about half way between what you get off the antenna and what it will be when HD goes in next February.
Which is to say, pretty good.

I get real good reception from the repeaters up on the hill about 4 miles away using an about 2nd from the top listed antennas in good reception characteristics.
Radio Shack fwiw.

When the converter box is on I get a channel with lots of hip-hop on it.
It comes in very clear, but no other channels are available.
I can't get the hip-hop channel when I'm operating the TV without the converter box.

Weird stuff....

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
my one box died the other didn't. I dont really like them, too touchy, am in the country, and get signal loss all the time,

mod edit to remove personal information

[edit on 12-7-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Uphill

mine went out and only 6 weeks old what a hunk of junk

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Both Magnavox units shut off automatically (on purpose? why?) after about 2 hours. This is annoying since the converters are located near the antenna and not the downstream sets. It's not like the amount of power saved really matters. Is there a way to make them stay on? Also a battery option would be good for emergencies.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I purchased a converter box from Radio Shack. They had only two choices and they cost the same. The workers didn't know if anything was different or if they were really the same just different brands. Kinda frusterating. I have tried several times to use it. I get some channels one day and only one channel another day. I live in the coutry so reception is weak. It seems the channels I used to get better reception are the ones I'm having trouble watching now. They say if I got good reception before using the box it should be just as good or better with the box. NOT SO....I may have to get Sat Dish just to watch the news. I figure this digital switch will cost me about $500 a year. At least with my weak anolog signal I could watch the TV. Now it just cuts in and out all the time. I have a newer outdoor antenna and I've adjusted it many times. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr typical government

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
We are having the same problem!
And I do not sort this problem yet.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Umm...these things need to be connected to a constant AC power source so that they retain the program memory that tv stations send.

Plus, these things, like many modern electronics, use a switching power supply that depend on the 60 hz AC voltage for regulation of the lower voltages, especially the "stand by" or "sleep" 5 volts that powers the microprocessor inside the unit. Without the constant AC power source, or switching it off and on through a power stick, your basically surging the unit and will eventually either lock up the power supply, or the microprocessor.

Try leaving it unplugged for about 10 minutes, then plug it back in.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
what to do with TVs with TV guide and picture in picture feature.
I cant get mine to work with the converter boxes.HELP !

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Wal-Mart says they will give us a refund, but what we'd really like to know is if we will get credit back for another coupon??? Time will tell, I guess.

It's Wal-Mart...why not just exchange it...then you've got the full value.

We contacted a group of DTV converter box users, and out of 50 who bought this model, one other person had this exact same problem happen, so we're looking at about a 1% - 2% failure rate. Here's hoping you other DTV converter box purchasers will have better luck than we did

50 is a small sample size, so your statistics are somewhat arbitrary. The chances of another exchanged unit being bad (even using the above) are pretty slim...

(the following is tongue-in-cheek)

Or, the other option is joining the rest of us in the 21st century and going with cable or an HD television....

what to do with TVs with TV guide and picture in picture feature.
I cant get mine to work with the converter boxes.HELP !

Picture in Picture requires two tuners. Some tvs have two built-in tuners, but most do not, and the PIP tuner must come from another device. What was your hookup prior to the converter box? What did you use for your second tuner?

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Has anyone experienced the same problem with their tv signal. tv commercials, repeated/recorded daytime shows, and 1960's movies all appear live. the characters in the commercials, daytime shows, and 60's movies interact in realtime with the viewer. they respond instantly and continuously to any motion made by the viewer.

any idea on how to fix this problem. thanks a lot.

top topics

join