It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy Grid of Earthquakes!! What??!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
people-
if you look at the map then they occurring in more places than JUST AMERICA (why do I always have to raise your eyes above your own coast?). The recent spate is acctually accuring right across the pacific rim. There have been plenty of statements indicating there will be another indonesian quake, as the pressure along this plate has been building for millenium.

I it a plate shifting which is creating the problem - the grid is misleading.

The global warming DOES have an effect in that the ice which is being displaced from the land areas (yes the galciers have melted) and into the oceans has cause massive pressure displacements - which it has been forecast for decades to create volcanic and earthquake events (which you can now see happening).

This is not theory but fact.

The grid is just a red herring coincidence.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prometheo
Underground nuke testing never stopped. It was only scaled-down.

This is actually not true. Unless you are referring to "criticality" experiments. But criticality experiments are like... well, for lack of a better layman's description, "nuclear testis-interupptus" - i.e. you take a system to the critical point, but not beyond that. It should be noted that nuclear reactors used for power generation are critical systems. The difference with some of these systems is that they are "bursted", albeit in a very control manner, but again this is very, very different from a nuclear test. These are very low powered events when compared to a nuclear test.

In fact, there used to be several sites across the United States where national laboratories did criticality experiments, but then there was only place left. All criticality experiments at that location have been stopped while the equipment is packed up and moved to NTS (the Nevada Test Site). Many other countries, including the United States, still design and perform criticality experiments as they provide very useful fundamental science not just in the areas of nuclear weapons or other classified projects, but also in topics ranging from Theoretical Astrophysics, to Remote Detection of Nuclear Breeder Reactors to Department of Homeland Defense Projects aimed at detecting so-called "suitcase" nuclear weapons.

I assure you though, these criticality experiments did not and do not cause earthquakes.

For images of some (very, very old mock-ups of critical assemblies, see the Wikipedia Article on Criticality Accidents. Today's critical assemblies do not look like this at all (I have seen some) and have instead been designed to be gravity driven so that in the case of an accident (such as a loss of power, etc.) the rods that stop the burst automatically drop into the assembly to disallow the chain reaction from continuing.

There are also so-called "zero-yield" subcritical tests and tests in which a nuclear test is simulated with HE (High Explosives).

What use is a simulated test? It is used to design new HE configurations particularly for low-yield, so-called "tactical" nuclear weapons (not so dissimilar from the Davy Crockett series from the late 1950s, but with a different delivery vector). Incidentally, it is precisely such weapons that have been alluded to when officials have mentioned using "tactical nuclear weapons" on Iran, not the large-scale, high-yield multimegaton weapons one might imagine (nor even the Hiroshima-sized devices).

Originally posted by Prometheoquote]Originally posted by PrometheoThey must test devices or else there's no way of knowing if they'll work... and this is a legitimate concern from the point of view of national defense (the real kind, not the wag-the-dog kind).

What that this were true. I agree that for the sake of a "legitimate concern" over the nuclear stockpile we should, in fact, be testing, but I also assure you that we are not. There are many who wish that we were.

You will note that we (meaning the United States) did sign the LTBT (Limited Test Ban Treaty). However, we, like many other nations, reserved the right to do such tests at any time in the future, but to date we are not and have not (the language of the LTBT also known as the CTBT (Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty) was such that a pledge was made to discontinue testing in outer space, in the atmosphere, in the waters and underground). In particular, the United States signed the CTBT but did not ratify it

The last U.S. shot was in 1994.

Woody

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkUK

So seeing as Al Gore is obviously a great man and advocate of climate change, maybe you would care to explain why, if he is so concerned with climate change, does his own home consume at least TEN TIMES the energy useage of the avergae American home?

I don't see it as hypocracy at all. In fact he has been purchasing carbon offsets in excess of his consumption. Even some airlines now offer this option when you fly to offset your carbon footprint. Now if we could just get everyone else to start doing this where available. You can also buy alternative energy like wind from your local power authority!

The way the GOP and the spindoctors on Fox news and ditto heads on Rush took the right wing talking smear points and ran with it was typical Carl Rove play book...I say good job Al for putting your money where your mouth is!

Also did you realise that when Reagan took over he immediately had the solar panels on the roof of the White House that President Carter had installed taken down? Yep... Alot of sugar in the Cool-Aide apparently!

[edit on 7-5-2008 by skyshow]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas
The grid is just a red herring coincidence.

Right.. and the fact that they were using HAARP at high power before but not after the first 4.7 quake is just a coincidence.. along with the Indiana/Illinois earthquake, the earthquake that caused the 2004 Tsunami.. (it was on 3 times more powerful and longer than the other 2).. and not to mention the Columbia Disaster and 9/11... all just pure coincidence. Nothing to see here.. move along.

BULL SHIZ!! They are inducing earthquakes and if WE THE PEOPLE don't speak up soon they may do some really bad stuff to us. Attitudes like yours is why they get away with this.. it is so unbelievable that they would do this that even if there is some good evidence indicating foul play people still think everything is ok. But it's not.. I don't want to die.. do you? Let's friggin speak up!! Call your Senators and bring this to their attention.. I donna.. do what ever you can. Anyone have suggestions?

Peace

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
Look at this people, and tell me what the heck is going on!!

standeyo.com...

I have never seen anything like this, and I have studied earthquake activity for the last 10 years!!

Replaced 'All Caps' in title.

Please read The Use of ALL CAPs

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/5/08 by masqua]

You think maybe some Nukes blew up on accident, since they are very old ones out there

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
another 3.8 just NNW of reno 5KM from cold springs NV.

Source: hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
quake.usgs.gov...

still shakin here in reno...... I dont understand why these shakers have to happen in the middle of the night....... 1 night of peaceful sleep in months, and last night was the strongest since the 4.7

something is happening, and experts are confused.....

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by damntheptb

Is there any way that you could get a video camera set up, and hit record as soon as you feel shaking? I would really like to hear and see what is going on!!

How long have you lived in Reno? I know there have been lots of earthquakes around there over the years, but have you ever had anything like what is happening now happen before?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

Is there any way that you could get a video camera set up, and hit record as soon as you feel shaking? I would really like to hear and see what is going on!!

How long have you lived in Reno? I know there have been lots of earthquakes around there over the years, but have you ever had anything like what is happening now happen before?

the quakes are only lasting a second or 2, and since it is middle of night, im not totally aware of them, till they are gone.... the 1.5's and less are nothing more than a clunk(imagine a steel pipe going into the ground a few feet, and above ground a few feet, now hit a hammer on the exposed pipe, and that initial "clunk" is what we get.) if they are 2.5 or 3.8 like last night, there is the clunk, and a shudder that shakes for a few seconds, then it is gone.
The 4.7 we had had my wife and I on the bed covering our daughter up, and it was like we were on a waterbed, bouncing left and right... it lasted for at least 10 seconds, then lingered a couple more, slowing down to nothing.

I have lived here in reno for 8 years, and I have said before, that I have felt earthquakes in NY, and CA, but nothing like these... maybe its because I am less than 2 miles from most epicenters....

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I am curious. Honestly, how worried are you? Do you feel safe staying in Reno?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Im only worried that if a big one hits, i wont be anywhere near by daughter (who goes to daycare right up in epicenter areas)
my wife and i commute, she takes the car, since she works the furthest away, but outside of doing 90mph, it would take at least 20 minutes from time of quake to get to her, and then depending on damage, we would have to locate the children if they had to evacuate the property (gas main right through front parkinglot)

I can deal with ANY catastrophy, its the not knowing when, and with constant little quakes daily, its un-nerving

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It sould be interesting if the USGS would post a picture of the reno area with the INSAR satelite much like this picture showing the Three sisters caldera rising up inches:

[IMG]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4931/threesisters010802ll1.eb74f41474.jpg[/IM G]

If anyone finds some recent INSAR images of reno please post

-Kdial1

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

So then you personally are not worried or giving credence to the volcano ideas being discussed here? Just worried about a big quake?

Unfortunately all the survival skills and planning in the world won't save you at ground zero of a big volcanic eruption, especially a super volcano. It's like saying having a bomb shelter will save you from a nuke. Depends on your proximity to ground zero. I am not saying these Reno quakes are leading into something volcanic, just saying sometimes the best preparation is 'getting the hell out of dodge'. Keep us informed on anything new in your area

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Well that is why i dont worry about a "super explosion"... since i live at the epicenters, if it were to go, so would I, and maybe i will have enough time to kiss my a** goodbye....

I am not afraid of things that would be beyond my control, just fearful of things that are in my control, yet have no control over.... IE- if a big quake hits, and the roads are damaged I might not be able to drive to get to my daughter... I work for a heavy equipment company, so i guarentee that even if the roads are damaged, or packed by freakin' out people tryin to leave the city, I will drive a backhoe off road to get to her...
That is my ONLY fear....my daughters safety, that is why i hope that "when" a big one hits, not if, that I have my daughter and wife by my side, so we can control our own situation...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

So then you personally are not worried or giving credence to the volcano ideas being discussed here? Just worried about a big quake?

I feel in my heart that all this activity is not just plates moving... we have hot springs all around and even an old one less than 5 miles from the quakes... I do not know what will happen or when, but I cannot shake the feeling (NO PUN INTENDED) that this is all leading up to something major...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

A deep earthquake swarm in late 2003 at Lake Tahoe, California (Richter Magnitude [ML]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Not sure if someone mentioned this, because this thread is huge so far, but Area 51 is in Nevada, I could safely assume that construction and additions to Area 51 have been going on for decades... With that said I can safely assume this is underground construction...

Someone who lives in the area should see if there are any places where all the dirt is coming out or being offloaded... Maybe the type of construction they use doesn't require removal of dirt at all? Who knows...

The only thing that came to mind after looking at the photo's is, underground construction, part of Area 51 or another installation in nevada... I would imagine drilling underground would cause it's own quakes and could possibly trigger others... Notice the tightness of most of the quakes and then a few scattered around the edges... This would be my educated guess..

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
For those in the Reno area, this website has some info. They also have a current map with the town and streets (I don't know how to copy it here) of all the earthquakes. If this website was posted before, sorry, I did not see it.

Take care and keep safe!

This ongoing earthquake swarm is a timely reminder that western Nevada has a significant earthquake hazard. Residents of the area are encouraged to check our guide on Living with Earthquakes in Nevada at our Earthquake Preparedness page . Protect your self, Drop, Cover, and Hold On!

www.seismo.unr.edu...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by damntheptb
I feel in my heart that all this activity is not just plates moving... we have hot springs all around and even an old one less than 5 miles from the quakes... I do not know what will happen or when, but I cannot shake the feeling (NO PUN INTENDED) that this is all leading up to something major...

I know some folks there, and I hope for your sake and theirs it's not a super volcano about to go. Not to add gasoline to the fire but y'all do live right on the edge of the Ring of Fire, and it's been, what, 28 years since the last major explosion (Mt. St. Helens)? Before that, what was it, Shasta about 100 years ago?

Weird stuff going on, and a number of theories about it. I hope for your sake the theories (everything from shadowy government/terrorist activity, to global warming-induced seismic activity, to the wrath of God upon Nevada) are wrong.

BTW, do you post on MarketWatch with that avatar, or just a common avatar?

Be safe...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
You haven't seen anything yet........Just remember, in one hour everything you ever knew will change.

The prophet Isaiah warns us that in the last days God is going to “turn the world upside down.” He declares, “Behold, the Lord maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down” (Isaiah 24:1).

According to this prophecy, sudden judgment is coming upon the earth, and it will change everything in a single hour. Within that short span, the whole world will witness fast-falling destruction upon a city and a nation, and the world will never be the same.

Few believe but many eyes will open......and few know the remedy..and won't take notice until this goes down..

Romans 10:9 just in case.

reply to post by 2ndSEED

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join