It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Quakes Rock the West

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Multiple Quakes Rock the West

www.livescience.com

A pair of earthquakes about 230 miles (370 kilometers) apart struck Southern California overnight, just two days after a moderate Northern California quake.

Meanwhile, neighboring Reno, Nevada, continues to tremble.

A 4.4-magnitude quake early today was centered 12 miles (19 kilometers) from the resort town of Lake Isabella, which is about 50 miles east of Bakersfield in the southern part of the state.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

Stephanie Canning said she was the only one in the Lake Isabella bar where she works who felt the quake. "I was sitting there and I saw the karaoke box shake, and I felt the ground move about three times,'' Canning said.

The quake hit barely four hours after a 4.2-magnitude temblor outside of Palm Springs, roughly 230 miles away.

Lake Isabella is about 300 miles south of Reno, Nevada, which has experienced a flurry of moderate temblors in recent weeks.

Farther north, near the quake-prone coastal town of Eureka, California, a magnitude-5.3 event — the largest out West in the past week — shook the region Tuesday. That temblor was centered about 250 miles northwest of Reno.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Along with Reno and the Oregon coast and the New Madrid fault... the mid west and west are trembling. It makes one wonder what's up. Perhaps a big one is in the works.

Any word on Yellowstone?

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Look at Alaska. They had a 6.6 very early today. Counted about 12 aftershocks and counting.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Its concerning thats for sure... I am not sure which would be a greater disaster... a massive earthquake in the west... or the bush administration's "response" to it.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Oh God grover. Another Katrina like response. While Condi goes shoe shopping. God forbid.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I've been posting regularly on the Quake Watch thread about the constant quakes here in Reno. My home is within 5 miles of the epicenter so I'm finding that these quakes feel much stronger as a result, and they're not the rolling type I experienced living in the SF bay area for so many years. These are sharp upward jolts.

The experts say they're baffled.

quake.wr.usgs.gov...

In fact, we just had one at 7:18 while I was reading the Quake thread. My dogs woke me up at 6:45 this morning.

I've been mentioning how I feel a constant vibration under my feet that I have never experienced before, and for me, that is the weirdest part of all this.

Needless to say, everyone here is worn out from the stress and wondering what will happen next.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
we can look at two ways. we have more people now and more ground covered and better technology. therefore, we are able to pick up and feel more quakes.

how ever, there certainly does appear to be more activity as of late. sure hope that this does not preclude a big one!

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I wonder where all those people working on or in the 'massive underground' facilities are now? I would have thought stuff like this would be very 'threatening' to them.

Also, how does this affect our 'nuclear and toxic waste facility in the Yucca Mountains? Didn't they choose that site based on it's stability? All that shaking can't be good for the waste containers, those poor Dinei.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I believe something wicked this way cometh. Too much activity. Never seen clusters like this before. I hope I am wrong.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
We have never had a supervolcanic eruption in recorded history.

I wonder what would be the signs and events leading up to the formation of a supervolcanic eruption. Yellowstone may not even be connected.

We could have a completely new megacauldera formed, possibly in Nevada.

There is a geological record of Supervolcanic eruptions in this region.

The Yellowstone Caldera 640,000 years ago

Long Valley Caldera in California 760,000 years ago
en.wikipedia.org...

Valle Grande in New Mexico 1.12 million years ago
en.wikipedia.org...

Bruneau-Jarbidge caldera in Idaho 10-12 million years ago
en.wikipedia.org...

La Garita Caldera in Colorado 27.8 million years ago
en.wikipedia.org...

Since we have no experience with this phenomena, we may not notice the prior warning signs and could literally have the ground blown out from beneath us

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Typically, as pressure builds in the Earth's plates, a major earthquake will result once the pressure hits a sort of critical point. Aftershocks occur as a series of smaller quakes as the plates make minor shifts to reach an equilibrium point again.

The odd thing about the ongoing Reno events is that the events have gotten stronger over the last days/weeks. Something fishy indeed. Perhaps the underground activity is causing these events. Maybe high speed underground tunneling? Maybe, HAARP technology?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I thought this might be of interest.

Its about past massive Volcanic activity in Nevada.

en.wikipedia.org...

In the western U.S., massive ignimbrite deposits up to several hundred metres thick occur in the Basin and Range Province, largely in Nevada, western Utah, southern Arizona, and north-central and southern New Mexico, and Snake River Plain. The magmatism in the Basin and Range Province included a massive flare-up of ignimbrite which began about 40 million years ago and largely ended 25 million years ago: the magmatism followed the end of the Laramide orogeny, when deformation and magmatism occurred far east of the plate boundary. Additional eruptions of ignimbrite continued in Nevada until roughly 14 million years ago. Individual eruptions were often enormous, sometimes up to thousands of cubic kilometres in volume.

and this link here:
The Mid-Tertiary Ignimbrite Flare-Up
www.colorado.edu...

If this came back into cycle, apocalyptic would be a very good adjective to describe it.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
There is the possibility that stress is being relieved instead of a major earthquake developing. Some activity is better than none. Doesn't mean the big one won't happen though.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I tried to determine the accuracy of when past events occurred. The most baffling? 27.8 Million years ago. If in fact during the Oligocene epoch that followed the Eocene epoch which hosted a "burst of evolution" and who's name refers to the sparsity of additional modern mammalian faunas, during the Rupelian stage is when a major extinction event occurred, how certain can we be that it was in fact then and not in the Chattian stage that this happened? Of course, trying to determine an error margin for these claims of occurrences, mostly since we are dealing with scores of millions of years, The closest I can determine is that the error margin is approximately *27.8 million years +/- 6186 years. The following URL has data I used to for determining the error calculation hereinabove. *(www.raptureinfo.net...). So if they are off that far and still believe in Darwin, (I've enjoyed chewing gum that gives a "burst of minty freshness" when biting into the liquid center, but I've never enjoyed a "burst of evolution"). So even if they are or are not correct, it seems these quakes are increasing. I would compare it to an expectant mother's contractions prior to labor. If this is accurate, then the only outcome plausible would be that the quakes increase in activity and scale until the moment of "birth". Where, in one final, violent, painful push, the pressure that built up to explosive proportions, until the ultimate release was inevitable. *The force of this release would be astronomical and biblical. The following URL gives insight to this hypotheses. *www.poetry.com...
So, will the entire western main land break away and fall into the pacific leaving but a few islands and a multitude of lost souls? And lastly, if this were the outcome, is all the recent seismic activity a natural occurrence? Or could this be man made phenomena, deployed in secret by those in power and want to destroy any remaining resistance. Could this be the avenue in which to make a legitimate case for imposing marshal law, voiding the upcoming elections, completing the illegally spawned death sentence imposed upon our Constitution? Why did Pope Benedict meet in private with our President, and furthermore, why did he not visit the USA carrying his own staff? What was the unspoken message sent by the Pope carrying the staff chosen? Why did he pray at ground zero on Hitler's Birthday? Well, If something whicked this way cometh, I will be leaving before the Autumn People arrive.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

I grew up in NY (wayyyyy upstate, central adirondacks), and felt quakes there, lived in CA bay area for a few years, and felt quaked there... been ni NV for 6 years, these are the first ive felt here, and I have been feeling them everyday since feb. Like the OP stated, I also live right on top of the epicenters, and maybe that is why they feel so different than anything I have ever felt before... And i definitly feel the constant slight vibration everywhere i go... I just figured that it was because of the amount of quakes I have felt, but my wife doesn't notice it, even though she feels a few quakes that even i dont notice....

Its all very weird, especially since we live on top of "ground zero".......

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Yeah we've been rocking a little. The general sense is that these are foreshocks. People and some authorities are saying this might be leading to something really big. There's enough evidence to believe them...

Or the Army rebuilt Tesla's earthquake machine and they're testing it out in my neighborhood.

Edit to add:

Since the first earthquake in western Nevada follow the quake in Elko 300 miles to the east, we have had hundreds of quakes. There was some shaking yesterday and the day before, as well as a little this morning. It's gotten to the point where people are either getting used to it, or not sleeping at all. It's really weird up here right now.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by projectvxn]

[edit on 2-5-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

We have earthquakes all the time here. I dont even think anything of it anymore
But the first time, it freaked me out!!

www.aeic.alaska.edu...

[edit on 2-5-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

This is Reno dude. Nothing biblical is going to happen here. Reno, so close to hell you can See Sparks.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
With then mention of the super caldera and earth quakes I wonder if
1. we could harness the energy
2. blow a hole in the centre of it to release pressure
3. Make it blow? ( nutters are everywhere)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Personally,i fell relieved when we have frequent small quakes in the area. Pressure being relieved is generally good. Time to get worried when there havent been any quakes in a while.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join