It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swimming Orangutans' Spearfishing Exploits Amaze The Wildlife Experts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Haha...This is totally bad-ass! The lines between ape and man thin out as time goes by...These are truly intelligent, puzzle solving beings, who I believe are more advanced than many think. Very cool to watch them evolve before our eyes and mimic our actions...

Orang-utans have confounded naturalists by learning to swim across rivers and to fish with sticks.

Naturalists were shocked to see the apes swim across a river to gain access to some of their favourite fruits at a conservation refuge on Kaja island in Borneo. Orang-utans were previously thought to be non-swimmers. The wildlife experts were equally surprised to see an orang-utan pick up a tree branch and stun a fish before eating it. Other apes introduced to the island were seen trying to spear fish with sticks after watching fishermen using rods.

Continued
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 28-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
That is very cool, however if i ever saw an orangutan tryin to steal somethin off my trotlines, he'd better run quick.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by the4bb4l4h

"if i ever saw an orangutan tryin to steal somethin off my trotlines, he'd better run quick. "

LOL

Its an ape. It has the capability to rip you limb from limb. And has recently discovered the wondrous weapon known as the spear!

Sure you wanna challenge him ?

Oh and yeah it is a cool thing to hear about this. Like the chimps with the sticks used for fishing out termites, except this is bigger.

Next thing ya know they'll be after our women!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
yeh actually i wouldnt mind, s&w 40 cal says i win

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's only a matter of time before orangutans begin stealing our jobs.

I find it fascinating that they are showing puzzle-solving abilities. At what point would we recognize them as sentient?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by the4bb4l4h

heh heh

I forgot guns existed

Man do I feel like a boob.

I wonder if the apes will use their feet to throw spears soon. That would be awesome. I read on wikipedia that they have been heard making a sound when having fun that people describe as laughing.

So if it DID manage to get you down and began stabbing you repeatedly with its many spear carrying limbs. It may laugh while doing so. How horrible does that sound!?!? We could make many movies based on this premise. Orangutans with spears that may laugh while pummeling your head into sludge. Perhaps it may even get out you half dead flaccid penis and laugh at that also! I better stop there. I could go on for days.

Oh and did anyone notice that orange (minus the E) appears in Orangutan ? I find this significant as ginger hair could be called orange. Or at least thats what I called it when I was a kid.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I for one am not so amazed as I have seen the video of birds fishing with breadcrumbs.

Does this blur the line between bird and man?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
monkey see, monkey do.

All primates are highly imitative, it's part of what's ensured their continued survival over the countless millennia.

You could probably get a monkey to play football with you, if you didn't mind having your arm ripped off when it tackles you.

p.s; Monkey, Ape - it doesn't make any difference to me if one's coming towards me with bloodlust in it's eyes.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

That would depend on what kind of bread it was

I think personally, that there are many feats performed by animals everyday that would amaze many, but go unnoticed by most.

I could list quite a few movies with highly intelligent creatures portraying their skills.

Just look at 'Planet of the Apes'.. how did they get them all to talk?

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
What the hell is a trotline? Sounds like a bathroom line in a spicy resturant.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueEyedSoul
It's only a matter of time before orangutans begin stealing our jobs.

I find it fascinating that they are showing puzzle-solving abilities. At what point would we recognize them as sentient?

The great ape is actually considered back in the mid 1900s to be qualified in society the same as a mentally retarded adult. ^_^ Pretty cool stuff, I would love to see their full evolution into a species like ours... though I'll prolly be dead by then.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by librasleep
What the hell is a trotline?

Here you go. Its a fishing technique. lol

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

As a matter of fact......ya. Oh, and btw. Bob is not crazy. Your doing the wrong drugs if you think that.......

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Very cool... Maybe the Nazis should have tried to make their super solder out of Orangutans rather than Gorillas uh?

top topics

join