It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have money, survivalist knowledge, and you want to buy some acres. Where would you buy????

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I plan to buy a 100 acres property in northern Quebec, build an underground house, so I don't have cold/hot weather problem.

Also all that with solar panels, maybe i'll build a well... depends, I may just collect the rain water... in winter, I'll just take snow inside.

For food, I've got 2 years of food, good for 10-15 years.

And of course, I've got guns.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I don't think living away from the coast is necessarily the best option but definitely on secured high ground just in case. West of the great dividing range is very drought prone btw. So like 100m or so elevation i'd say is future proofed for hundreds if not thousands of years of water levels rising. give or take the odd tsunami

The coast gives you ready access to a relative abundance of sea life. A lot easier and healthier to catch fish than mammals, plus im vego and i guess id resort to fish before other meat. The other thing is the ocean is a wide open escape route in times of peril.

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Within the U.S. - east of mountain ranges, within the shadow of them if possible.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
West Virginia. Specifically the northeastern portion near MD & VA.

The plains states may be fine for some, but for me I'll take the West Virginia area. There are tons of reasons, but I'll list a few of the less obvious ones.

If order is to be restored it will happen either in California or Washington, D.C. first. One of the very first things a new president is going to want to do is restore the seat of power for the nation. This means the majority of federal effort will be directed at the MD/VA/DC area. Far enough away from WV to be easily avoided (think NWO kind of thing), yet close enough to get aid/assistance (global warming, natural disaster, asteroid impact situations).

Game is plentiful and the state is still largely rural, with major population centers within reasonable distance (Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburg, Philadelphia to name a few). In addition there are numerous rivers, streams and springs as well as plenty of workable farmland.

Intersection of I-70 (going e-w across the U.S) and I-81 (going N-S) has strategically placed West Virginia, especially the northeastern portion, as a distrubution hub. Within 20 miles of where I sit there are the following distrubution centers:
Orgill - provides many items to the retailer
Tractor Supply - Basically a farm store, has everything from combine tires to work clothes.
Staples - office supply, maybe not the best thing to be near in a sitx, but better than writing on bark or cave walls

There is a KMart distrubution facility within 30 miles and I know there is a WalMart facilty somewhere near.

And ... how many people are thinking rural west virginia as their bug out destination? Not many, till now anyway.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Good lord, you people and your old school tech lol.
I would buy some land in Wyoming (easy to get lost out there) near some mountains or a very, very secluded place, that or the desert.
I would have no livestock, I would only live off veggies, I've been a vegitarian before and it's pretty easy for me to live of green things.
I would power my house though with a self powering generator, they're easy to build and they will power a house for about 5 years until you have to replace the magnets and some of the wireing.

-Jimmy

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I 'm not sure how everyone feels about prophets, but Edgar Cayce had visions about what you asked in this post. In the book "The End Times" by John Van Auken, It was said that Cayce believed : much of the west coast, the Carolina and Georgia southern coast, and new England coast of US will be changed, damaged... Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York will be destroyed by earthquakes.... great salt lake through southern portions of Nevada to the southern coast of Calif.-- powerful earthquakes will cause an inundation. Montana- one of the breadbaskets of the world...most serious earthquakes happen in southern hemisphere...Europe- be physically changed quickly...greater portion of japan go into ocean...safety lands: Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Virginia, southern Canada, Montana, Nebraska. Pretty scary. Cayce and Nostradamus have predicted several incidents that have come true. Maybe the date was off a little but still... I believe they just had the 'gift' and I keep everything they said in the back of my mind. It could become helpful in the future.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Yeah I remember reading the whole deal about Edgar Cayce saying the whole topography of the US and the rest of the world will change, practically overnight.

But you mention: Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Virginia, southern Canada, Montana, Nebraska.

Those are some cold arse states if you ask me....and I reside in Illinois now. Honestly I was looking at NW New Mexico, Arizona Mountain ranges, or somewhere else that has alot of wilderness and is mostly warm. I mean I know Arizona gets cold in the winter....but it's no Chicago Blizzard thats for sure

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Often it depends on which side of the quake you're on.
In the 7.1 quake of 89 in California the inland mountain ranges
moved up 14 inches. I was near the epicenter when it happened.

Quakes are a great way to shake things up.
A quake or volcano will be happening soon on the west coast.
Check the USGS earthquake maps-things are starting to rock and roll.

I'll take a quake over a volcano or deep freeze without electricity anyday.

I own half a mountain on the upward-thrust side of California quakes.
So I'm not too worried about big quakes having experienced them.

BTW-I've lived a few years without electricity.
People who have never done it will be in for a big surprise.
it's not for everyone and some people are too spoiled and can't make the sacrifice.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
You'll want to an area that gets at least 20 inches of rain/precipitation a year but no more than 30"-35" max. More rain=more humidity= equals very uncomfortable weather. Cold and damp winters and hot and wet summers make non electric life miserable. If your nomadic, winters in the desert southwest and summers in the mountains will be alot cheaper than electricity or fuel.

Look for access to good soil, some form of biomass for cooking fuel and a site near a natural water source but not right on it. Like they said in Jurassic Park III, that's where the predators congregate, both animal and human. Small springs are the best.

I prefer the central southern states, AR,OK, TX, SW MO, maybe NE LA. The NE AL and W GA regions aren't bad either. Everyone seems to think the mountains will be good places to survive but I've got my doubts about that idea. They're a good place to escape the heat of the lower elevations but they tend to have very poor soil and suitable space for building houses and barns is at premium.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Electricneo

Hey Electricneo, ya wanna sell a small piece of that mountain?? I know its true about we all are use to electricity, but in a way, I will be glad those times come back(if and when they do). There was problems back when there was no power etc..., but not like the problems today. I have been wanting my own mtn. for along time and start learning how to live without all the luxuries we have now(as long as I have my loved ones with me). I'm going to have to learn how to make Jack Daniels also! It's a must!!

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
We're talking 'fantasy survival here I presume?

In that case, a property that has a back garden backing onto a canal here in the UK...that way I could dig my own cutting from the canal witha lock nto the back garden for a narrowboat mooring...when the SHTF i'd be chugging off under steam power to my brave new world

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by imysbbad

Sorry Inmysbbad, I think neighbors are almost like roommates in that it's one
thing to be friends with somebody another to live with them or near them.

Luckily I have great and kind neighbors.

The people I opened my land up to have been stable friends for over 15 years.
Nothing like the test of time to see the depth of someone's character.

My communal philosophy is the following.
A person can have all the survivalist gear in the world but if a person doesn't
have basic good-heartedness and a stable mind then living with or near them
puts one's whole scenario in jeopardy. That's why I chuckle and shake my head
when I hear of these nasty belligerent survivalists with tons of ammo who think
they're going to survive alone. They'll be the first to go as soon as they doze off.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Northern Great Lakes region....U.S. or Canada...fresh water, farmland, wildlife, cold enough to keep out the weak.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Montana would be the best place in America. Least natural disasters and least amount of military installations.

For me in the UK... there is no safe place. Only my mind and destiny can save me!

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Obviously you've never spent a winter in Montana. It makes the Outer Hebrides look like a tropical paradise. Minus 20F is a normal winter temperature there. Landslides, snow avalanches and forest fires are common in the mountains, tornadoes, grass fires and drought are normal for the eastern plains.

Why does everyone believe that the world is somehow going to end in a nuclear conflagration and every military base is going to be a primary target? BTW almost every county seat in the US has a National Guard Armory in or near it.

Currently in the US, the only gov't function that can currently survive most any disaster are US military bases. Hurricane Katrina was proof positive of how badly the civilian preparations are for any major disaster.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join