It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing meat without growing animals

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
For the record the apples I buy are 1.49/lb. No, you can't live off them. But I'm guessing they're a lot better for you per serving than those hockey pucks. I doubt your beef comparison is directly valid but I don't buy ground beef anyway. Ick.

Regardless, poverty is not the result of conditions. It is the result of events.
Failing to recover from those events, even if it's just birth, is a voluntary act.

If this artificial meat satisfies a market demand for cheap crap, I say let people eat it. If they die, that's evolution at work. The natural balancing of populations. Too many people to feed? Too many people.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

For the record the apples I buy are 1.49/lb. No, you can't live off them. But I'm guessing they're a lot better for you per serving than those hockey pucks.

Better? Yes. Cheaper? No. And that was the original supposition that you made incorrectly.

Failing to recover from those events, even if it's just birth, is a voluntary act.

So, I suppose that all of the people who were hungry and out of work during the Great Depression were just failing to do what they needed to?

Poverty is not a matter of personal choice. It is a social condition that cannot be fixed by one person.

Too many people to feed? Too many people.

Too many people to feed, or bad management of resources? Deliberate bad management meant to increase the favorability of the elite's lifestyle, while killing of the "undesireables."

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Wal-Mart doesn't show food prices, and there is no ground-beef on sale at the Stop&Shop supermarket, so I can't prove the comparison. But here is what is on sale this week. For whatever reason, London broil usually goes for roughly the same amount as ground-beef.

BEEF

Now keep in mind, this is not Angus or free-range or anything like that. This is good ol' tortured cow.

apc

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
If a person is dependent on something and they don't do anything to become independent it is their own fault when what they thought was reliable is proven otherwise. Remaining in poverty is by choice or inaction. Sitting on one's butt crying, "Poor me. Nothin' I can do but sit here. Spare some change?"

My statement is quite accurate if the context is a valid comparison. Compare frozen bean burritos to some beans, spices, and tortillas. Or a few cuts of chicken breast to a bucket of Colonel Sanders. Processing adds cost through the processing itself and the profit at each step of the processing processes (hehe).

You keep talking about beef... beef, rather all meat, is a luxury food. Produce and grains are cheap by comparison. $10 buys my lunch for a week with food left over, though that's probably a bit inflated as that includes deli meat. During the growing season that cost decreases as I eat from my garden. But as demonstrated by the debtor society we now live in where so many want to live far beyond their means regardless of consequence, it wouldn't surprise me if people flocked to fake meat if it were dirt cheap. Dirt is likely an appropriate term, and it's what they deserve for their irresponsibility.

When poor quality food enters someone's mouth, the only one to blame is the person holding the fork. If the "elites" are controlling all this in an effort to kill off the "undesirables," they're doing a pretty poor job around here at least. If they are actually to blame its just to get people on the dole. But even that is by choice.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by apc]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Sitting on one's butt crying, "Poor me. Nothin' I can do but sit here. Spare some change?"

Please don't misunderstand me. I do believe that people should do everything in their power to take care of themselves or suffer the consequences. But no man is an island, and when someone is being deliberately attacked psychologically, economically, etc., it is not the fault of the vicitm. Is it the victim's fault who lost their legs getting smashed by a drunk driver one night? After all, what were they doing out anyway? They knew that there were drunks on the road at night.

Compare frozen bean burritos to some beans, spices, and tortillas.

Okay. One five-ounce "Tina's Beef and Bean" frozen burrito. Cost, $0.50.

Tortillas. "Joseph's Whole Wheat" six-count 9oz. package. Cost, $3.59.
Beans. "Goya Pinto" 15.5 oz can of. Cost, $0.67 x 2= $1.34.
Spices. Generic chili-powder, 2.5oz bottle. Cost. 3.49

Cost per burrito, $1.40. You will have one ounce of beans and chili-powder left over though. Spread the four-cent cost per ounce of the beans over the six burritos if you wish. In fact, we'll go ahead and call it $1.39 per burrito.

But at least you will have chili-powder the next time, if you have a place to keep it that is. You're still looking at $0.82 cost per burrito to make it at home. More than the processed frozen one. And really, it wouldn't save much time at all to make the fresh one, since you would have to microwave the frozen one for a bit longer.

Or a few cuts of chicken breast to a bucket of Colonel Sanders.

There is a lot more in a bucket of hydroponic chicken than just "a few cuts."

$10 buys my lunch for a week with food left over, though that's probably a bit inflated as that includes deli meat.

Ten dollars covers your cost of deli meats? One slice per sandwhich? No mayo/mustard? Water and a saltine to go with it perhaps?

During the growing season that cost decreases as I eat from my garden.

Thanks for rubbing it in that my former landlord now plucks the garden that I started.

apc

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hahaha! I really don't care enough to sit here and figure out portion sizes per burrito so I'll take your word for it if you actually took the time to do that. Nor do I know if those prices are representative of average. But you know, if you don't have anywhere to keep the leftovers will you actually have a microwave? If you're talking about just using the convenience store microwave, last I glanced those burritos are pretty expensive.

No usually two slices on my sammich, with apples, carrots, grapes, peanuts, whatever. Of course water to drink, if anything at all (water is usually alkaline and will dilute your stomach acids). Sometimes it's just a salad. Sometimes it's leftovers from the dinner prior. Pretty cheap eating without the dollar menu.

My carrots are coming up nicely this year btw.

>
You can have the last word on this one if you like as I can no longer find some way to tie this issue into the fake-meat one beyond what I've already stated... if people eat crap it's by their own choosing.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by apc]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

The idea of this just makes my stomach turn. We know nothing about what this type of altercation to cells might do to humans, let alone the ick factor. And to me, it seems the world is scrambling for new ways to feed the people. Strange times indeed.

www.slate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Do it come thin-sliced? I really like thin-sliced sandwiches. I also like it deviled as in devil-am. That can be good too. Mmm...fake meat.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Hahaha! I really don't care enough to sit here and figure out portion sizes per burrito so I'll take your word for it if you actually took the time to do that.

But you know, if you don't have anywhere to keep the leftovers will you actually have a microwave?

I use other people's. Sometimes they let me use the one in the break-room at the supermarket since I use to be a guard there.

No usually two slices on my sammich, with apples, carrots, grapes, peanuts, whatever.

Well, if it that produce is coming from the supermarket, you're spending more than ten dollars a week. A bag of mini carrots or some grapes will cost you three bucks here. Of course that would probable be enough to put in two lunches if I had two sammiches. (I like my sams with four slices of meat, folded/rolled like I learned working in a deli so it looks like more, and a thick slice of cheese.)

Of course water to drink, if anything at all (water is usually alkaline and will dilute your stomach acids).

Americans don't get enough fluids. I hope you are eating a lot of fruits and veggies.

My carrots are coming up nicely this year btw.

You're evil. I'm sending a wabbit for your carrots. Then I'm making wabbit stew!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Ok heres my beef with fake beef.....

the Meat we eat now an have eaten since the dawn of time has been meat from a animal that was alive.... that was birthed. If you take away that aspect an even take away the animal aspect itself then you are left with tissue....

Just plain tissue from cells that are either from a host x animal, or even a human or just created.

Where are you gettin that natural nutrition? Becuz no matter how much we study an learn, the nutritional value will never compare to that of a normaly consumed animal. They Lived. yes we havent proven that living has anything to do with the food we create or have we, we cant survive on supplements.

Ivs are about the closest thing i can think of that can sustain you for a long period of time that wasnt from a living thing. But eventualy you need a living thing to eat to live.

We Eat living things. No matter what way you look at it except for this way.
Now seeing that doesnt it make you wonder,

Are we eating energy?

So in conclusion Fake beef sucks. Will deprive you from living. And will create more side-effects that our wonderful World wants to treat you for. Welcome to the economical Matrix.

Take the damn Red Pill........................

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Trance Optic

One might compare this fake meat to the genetically modified produce that is grown in nutrient poor soil. Ever notice that supermarket tomatos taste like cardboard? It's becasue they are forced to grow too fast under poor conditions, and then are irradiated killing the last of the nutrients. People think that eating fruits and vegetables is healthy. You might as well be eating your belt with a side of tree-bark.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If they could make this meat with the texture and taste of a fillet mignon or porterhouse steak I'd start a factory and begin to grow the stuff myself.

However at best I expect it would be something more like Spam which isn't bad once in a blue moon, but I wouldn't want to eat it everyday or even once a week.

If they can make it cheaply I suppose it would be as good as peanut butter to feed the starving populations and whatnot, but it will never ever replace a good thick bloody steak that came from a Black Angus or similar for those who relish wonderful tasting food that energizes and satisfies.

Mmm I'm hungry, I think I'll go fry some bacon and slice some tomatoes & lettuce and make me a nice crunchy juicy BLT.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I was thinking about the fake meat today and it struck me that we cannot even use stem cell research to help our own human counterparts at this time, we have no idea what the repercusions are of eating stem cell generated meats, what if it caused our on cells to react, given the length of time it takes the human body to process beef? A small amount of beef in the belly that attaches itself and starts to grow inside you, only it is cow tissue......

[edit on 26-4-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

This steak's for you...

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Aw Jack, I wish I could see the video! Drives me nuts! I am at work and videos will not play on these computers, instead I get a message reminding me that I am doing something of a 'non work-related nature'! How dissapointing! So is it a disgusting piece of meat or a really nice looking steak?

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Think Matrix meat. But remember, "ignorance is bliss..."

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Even though he gave us the Matrix themed steak, I can assure you it was real when they filmed it and it looks as good as the most beautiful steak I've ever had.

Thanks, that is one hell of a juicy medium rare or rare steak there. Glad I saw that after I ate my Halibut steak tonight, otherwise I'd be chasing food all night looking for that satisfaction.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Actually this is the best what humanity can make so far. I'll be the loyal buyer of such meat.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

yum yum

gimmie some of that processed steak, i dont have anuff digestion problems already......

this stuff is 5 paces north of solvent green.....

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Who are the dogs now?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I don't think that would of worked in my BLT.

However it wouldn't surprise me if we start feeding that stuff to prisoners to lower the cost of feeding them and get these companies up and running.

I despise foods that attempt to taste or replace the real thing. Fake butter = Margarine, Fake Mayonnaise = sandwich spread, fake Ham = turkey ham, etc. Fake sugar = cancer causing nightmare etc.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join