It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing meat without growing animals

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Simple approach.
Make it cheaper than meat that was once an animal.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
MEAT FROM A CLEAN STERILE LAB = YUK!!!!

OFFAL HOSED OFF THE FACTORY FLOOR = YUM!!!!

I guess some people will eat anything.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I guess it could be canned, like Spam!

Don't cut your tongue, licking the lid!

[edit on 4/25/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
We are nothing more than sentient, thinking animals. That's what makes us more violent and brutal than any tiger or lion ever could be. We have the capacity for cruelty, which they fortunately don't possess.

Oh, but they sure do! And many carry it out, too! Observe the animal kingdom, please!

As for eating humans, I'm not much for long pig, but there may come a day when people may resort to it out of desperation and pure unadulterated hunger. Self-preservation is a powerful instinct in our species.

Where did that come from? Self preservation is a powerful instinct in all species.

By the way guys.. Plants are living things as well. How do you know they don't suffer or feel pain when you ripped them out of their nurturing soil, then slice and tear them into bit-size pieces? Think about it.

Well, everything is living, the difference is having a receptoid for pain and suffering and a functioning brain to allow for such. This here is a matter of anatomy, not a philosophical "what if".

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
In many ways it seems to be a distinction without a difference. Not merely from the same angle as is constantly argued in the stemcell medicine debate vis a vis abortion, but also from an ecological standpoint. I love meat, but from a strictly logistical point of view, there is very little escape from the fact that being able to plop a seed in the dirt and have it turn into a sizeable meal in just a few weeks is incredibly efficient- more so than this kinder, gentler meat seems likely to be.

Not that meat needs to be kinder and gentler anyway. Dolphins are the kindest, gentlest creatures on Earth, and we get plenty of their meat in our Tuna. Anything more would just be overkill. Pardon my ecologically insensitive pun.

apc

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Well yes but who's fault is it for eating crap?
Grass fed free range my friend. A happy animal is a tasty animal.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Animals kill in self-defense or for food. There are no ulterior motives such as sadism or psychological terror.

Humans have the intellectual capacity to physically and psychologically torture their victims before inflicting death upon them.

You say plants have no pain receptors or mental awareness, but do you know that for a fact? Maybe they have evolved a different kind of intelligence and ability to sense pain..

Hormonal Sentience

Acacia trees produce tannin to defend themselves when they are grazed upon by animals. The airborne scent of the tannin is picked up by other acacia trees, which then start to produce tannin themselves as a protetction from the nearby animals. When attacked by caterpillars, some plants can release chemical signals to attract parasitic wasps that attack the caterpillars.

A similar phenomenon can be found not only between plants and animals, but also between fungus and animals. There exists some sort of communication between a fungus garden and workers of the leaf-cutting ant Atta sexdens rubropilosa. If the garden is fed with plants that are poisonous for the fungus, it signals this to the ants, which then will avoid fertilizing the fungus garden with any more of the poisonous plant.

In theory even an organism with a hormonal system instead of a nervous system could be intelligent in some degree, but it would be an extremely slow brain, to say the least.

Link

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

The slaughter industry is a business, and their goal is profit. How they obtain their profit is the quick, often brutal killing and processing of animal flesh.

Chickens are often scalded to death without the benefit of being stunned first, and pigs are frequently bled out while they're still conscious, and hanging by their feet from chains.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

As I said, and I'll say it again. Yes they do! You really need to observe the animal kingdom and do some more research. Animals will purposely mame and kill, torture and destroy, and it's all psychological and no different from Humans except for the fact that they aren't Human!

Yes, I agreed that all things are "alive" and that the universe is intelligent. The difference here is the ability to feel pain in an individual species. In a macro sense everything feels pain and suffering and joy and happiness, at micro levels it's different, though they play a part in the overall. Though a plant may not feel pain, if we kill enough of them eventually the planet will suffer and we will feel pain for the repercussions of our actions.

And yes, they have "no mental awareness" because they have no brains. On the contraire I do believe that plants react to the environment around them, this is obvious and apparent through their very existence! They aren't simply inanimate dead things, nothing is. That is not what I was saying.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I prefer to know that my meat was alive at one point and that someone thought it was cute before i decided to cook it for a few minutes and eat it.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
As I said, and I'll say it again. Yes they do! You really need to observe the animal kingdom and do some more research. Animals will purposely mame and kill, torture and destroy, and it's all psychological and no different from Humans except for the fact that they aren't Human!
Cite me one legitimate source that says animals are capable of psychological torture, I'd be real interested in reading it. I know of no self-aware animals that practice sadism.

And yes, they have "no mental awareness" because they have no brains. On the contraire I do believe that plants react to the environment around them, this is obvious and apparent through their very existence! They aren't simply inanimate dead things, nothing is. That is not what I was saying.
If they responds to the environment around them, then they have rudimentary awareness even if it is hormonal in nature. They may also have a rudimentary form of a brain, but we're not technologically able of recognizing it as such.

[edit on 4/25/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
A good idea. I second the notion. I agree that humanity's biology has evolved to include animal tissue as part of the diet, and to change the diet to exclude it would have some (manageable) detriments to health.

What concerns me is how we as individuals can excuse or justify our sense of being wronged, when the things we do to other living creatures is often much worse.

I've said this before... what right would we have to complain if alien abductions were real, when we do equally horrific things to lesser life forms too?

Life has a responsibility to life, and you reap what you sow.

I'd rather treat an animal as compassionately as I can afford to. It's a question of Karma and Peace of Mind.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Plants are our friends, and they DO feel emotions-

What do you call a mushroom, in a bar, buying everyone drinks?

A 'fungi' to be around!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

This is why I don't want to eat meat anymore! I cannot stand the idea of the inhumanity of mass production.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

Well yes but who's fault is it for eating crap?

The evil economic overlords who dictate that Americans will be too poor and too tired to do otherwise.

Grass fed free range my friend. A happy animal is a tasty animal.

Very much agreed. But I fear it won't be long that I start looking at free-range and organically fed yuppies to throw in my ramen.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Cite me one legitimate source that says animals are capable of psychological torture, I'd be real interested in reading it.

I dunno about the real psychological aspects of it, but cats really seem to enjoy their prey a little too much.

apc

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
The evil economic overlords who dictate that Americans will be too poor and too tired to do otherwise.

There was an entire thread or two about that argument and it just doesn't hold up. It is far cheaper to eat nutritious and whole foods than processed frozen and fast food garbage. Opting for the latter is just pure laziness and irresponsibility because the former actually takes time to prepare whereas the drive-thru is Open Late.

But it might apply if this meat-in-a-box were significantly cheaper than real flesh. PETA will probably do everything they can to see that happen. They probably hope this creation will kill millions. However I suspect the fast food restaurants would still be where people would eat the refuge as those that are too lazy to cook a real meal will be the ones eating it.

Funny thought... does this mean we're getting closer to entire meals in pill form? The TV has been promising that for like forty years.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

I have shown, without a doubt, that unhealthy foods are cheaper and more accessible to poor folk. Perhaps this is one of the threads you were referring to...

"Let Them Eat Cake!"

I just recently bought a box of frozen burger patties, highly processed, at a cost of 62-cents per pound. They're friggin' terrible. But fresh ground beef, (which now comes in pre-packed and processed) is over four dollars per-pound. That is only one example.

You also have to consider that many poor people do not have a place to prepare or store foods.

Then there is also the fact that many poor people survive on donated foods, from food banks and such, and therefore have no choice whatsoever.

I could go on...

[edit on 4/26/0808 by jackinthebox]

apc

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
People who become poor may have some one or some thing else to blame.
People who stay poor have only themselves.

If somebody can't afford beef, real beef, they probably shouldn't be buying it.
Apples are still pretty cheap.

[edit on 26-4-2008 by apc]

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

People who become poor may have some one or some thing else to blame.
People who stay poor have only themselves.

No offense or anything, I do happen to like a lot of stuff you write, but that's a somewhat oxymoronic statement.

If outside conditions were such that it caused a family to fall into poverty, those condidtions would have to go away before they could escape poverty. It is nearly impossible to escape pverty once you are in it, for a multitude of reasons. Try getting a job interview once you're homeless.

EDIT to add: I know these things from personal experience, since I have been better than well-off in my life, and I have also been homeless twice.

If somebody can't afford beef, real beef, they probably shouldn't be buying it.
Apples are still pretty cheap.

Not cheap enough. And you can't live off of just apples.

Checking the local sales flyer this week, I see no apples, but tomatos are $2.49 per pound. Still a lot more expensive than my processed frozen meat sludge.

[edit on 4/26/0808 by jackinthebox]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join