It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMP attack, How to survive?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
One of the main problems --- and this applies to any Sit X scenario, but especially EMP --- if and when you get any news of what happened, will you be able to trust that news. Chances are, you won't know what hit you and it could be weeks before any truth emerges. I think having two strategies at the ready would be your best preparation and they are, obviously, be ready to shelter in place if you cannot leave your location for whatever reason and be ready to bug out with your essentials if you must leave your home for any reason. I know that's stating the obvious, but the fact is... you have to prepare for either reality and don't believe the first wave of "news" that you hear. It may just be propaganda.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
As far as faradyne cages go;
wouldn't an old, microwave oven be effective?

Place small electronics in oven (lined with foil), close door, and cut the top prongs (not the bottom ground prong) on the electrical cord. The oven (better be) pretty well RF shielded from all axis and would be pretty easy to procure at your local thrift store.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Depending on the power level of the EMP pulse, and the frequency of it, it would take a hell of alot more than some old microwave oven to protect electronics from an EMP attack.

A faradyne cage....HAHAHA!! Thats funny!! Lets hope your not building it that ends up to be more helpful in allowing the EMP pulse from getting into it...like building it so that it ends up being just one huge resonating box that not only lets the EMP through, but helps to bounce the EMP around inside the cage and amplify it at the same time!!

Heh, faradyne cage....the best laugh of the day..thanks!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
While doing a little more research on EMP, I found a great tutorial:
The EMP Threat and How to Deal With It

[edit on 23-11-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I agree with the Resonance Box theory. I am under Maser
Microwave attack, patent 60011991 and I have to
create an anti-microwave helmet and an anti-microwave shelter
that works. Prior to have found out how to protect myself I
used the widely recommended TIN FOIL *SNIP*
and which encourages people to take the wrong safety measures
and end up committing suicidal attacks. The proper protection against
and E-BOMB attack is to stack the walls of the room with plastic bottles
filled with salty water, for a small room, a TON of sodium chloride and
two tons of water will suffice, nothing short of that could absorb the
radiation that would resonate in between the Tin Foil walls built up.
I have a book written on this issue:

*SNIP*

I explain the situation on my blog:

*SNIP*

Whenever you leave the shelter don't forget to wear cotton clothes
impregnated in GRAPHITE and platic glue, which does reflect and
absorb microwaves.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by patent60011991victim]

[edit on 2-4-2010 by patent60011991victim]

MOD EDIT: Removed personal website and spamming of personal book.

[edit on April 2nd 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
First let me admit that i didn't read every post in this thread, so if any of my post duplicates or repeats other adressed thoughts...my appologies.

First - A massive EMP attack on the USA would not only cause major chaos within it's populous.......but would cause major trickles of economic devistation to ripple through the world economy itself. I think that is a major reason why it hasn't been seen yet. A terrorist probably wouldn't care......but another government body would really have to plan and suffer the risks of this coming back on them.

Without looking at every link that has been posted in this thread.....my rational thinking for survival of a society would probably tell me that these would be the priorities of getting through this disaster:

Communication, Transportation, Backup power for hospitals and emergency.

Communication - People need to know what to do, where to go to get help, and what the situation is. They need to be able to contact family members to insure safety. Government needs to communicate within itself to organize the populace, aid, and military.

Transportation - Aid and water needs to be transported, Government needs to organize, and people need to get home or to loved ones or to locations where they can obtain water and aid. National Guard and military need to get where they need to go to establish protection and order.

Back up power - Millions could die in hospitals without backup power. In an environment of chaos millions could be injured and in need of immediate care. Think Haiti, except....with a populous of a 1/4 mil or more.

I don't think it would be out of reality, or technilogical ability in this day and age for the government to develope a device, chip, or simple security that takes care of these critical items. A saftey box that could be bought by a good chunk of society obtained in a large portion of homes. These contain a protected emergency radio or phone. Chip for generators, or standard chips for cars. Maybe these are EMP resistent chips or contained in this protective box. All 300million people in the US would not have to have this....but if just a 1/4 or 1/2 had this protection.....word spreads and help is extended to the point where order and stability can be achieved.

Chances are one or more of your neighbors would have communication and transportation. Your town or city government would have all three along with major logistical locations within that town, city and location so that communication, transportation, emergency back up power and order can be kept to reasonable levels. Police stations, National Guard, local city governments and councels, as well as state bodies can function and communicate with large portions of public which then spreads the word and flexibility with chunks that aren't serviced.

So i don't think it is out of reach for the USA in this day and age to get themselves somewhat protected and prepared for this. The government should think about this and take steps if they haven't already.

The Lions Phalanx

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
No one has brought up the book “one second after” ? Everyone should read it and you will never think the same again. I believe almost 30% of the area the book was based off died in about 40 to 50 days. As a country we are way too dependent on electronics and electricity. If there were a few electronics you wanted to survive you can use a basic metal trash can with a lid for that, it’s as good as anything out there.
Keep in mind the sun is waking up again. A CME as it has done before can do just even more damage-on a world wide scale…..

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
In the event of a national emp discharge,

1. barricade my home, or possibly group up with my neighbors and develope some type of defense

2. raid local area for goods. it could be scavenging, hunting, and trapping

3. try to reach out to the rest of the town, set up farms, wells, and collection of precipitation

4. begin working on local radio stations for means of some type of communication

MAINTAIN STRUCTURE AND ORDER

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Initially, you would think it was a powere outage. Then, it would seem local - just your subdivision. Without info, you wouldn't know it affected the entire state or country. Cities would get hot or cold, then hungry and restless. Most of America would be waiting on the gov't to fix the problem and show up with food and water.
After a couple of hours, it would get ugly guickly. People would certianly be upset when all the cars didn't run, or they were stuck without working gas stations.
People who could make it to the store would buy everything in site, that night looters would steal the rest. Now, it's just survival.
I don't know why you are all so worried about computers. Even it you got yours through it, there would be no connectiitiy. Who would you talk too?
In case of emergency, what channels could still be working and what would you need to access them?
So, when there's no water, the car won't start, the grocery store is empty and CNN is silent...
This thread should start with that senario - that's what EMP would do.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
Ok everyone, lets suppose that a massive EMP attack has occurred and it covers the entirety of North America.

What's the source of your EMP? What sort of attack?

Are we talking high altitude nuclear devices? One or many?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
As anyone brought up the fact that no faraday cage can protect against super high frequency EMPs ? If the wavelength of the EMP's pulse is smaller than the holes in the faraday cage (even micron thin holes) the pulse will pass right on by. Your best bet for storing data is to take a small laptop and alot of batteries and store it deep underground (in a multi layer faraday cage), as far as you can feasible reach, then fill it in, adding wire meshes as you go up. Dont forget the spider effect either, EMP's can theoreticly travel ALONG wires, so if you shield your pc case but its plugged in to something that gets nailed...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I apologize, I haven't read through the whole thread, and I may be repeating something.

I have an old work truck, and I have rigged an industrial style switch to the power side of the battery. When this truck is parked, the power supply is killed and when I throw the switch, I also ground the latent power to the frame.

This will protect all the trucks electronics in the case of an EMP, and all I have to do is wait, and then give it the power back, and I will have an operational vehicle.

It is a big inconvenience to do this to your everyday vehicle, but it is perfect for one that is parked a lot. The other option is to get a vehicle old enough that it still has "points." If it has points instead of an electronic ignition, then no precaution is necessary, the EMP won't affect its basic operation.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Actually, you can build your own mini EMP device. You can ask an electric geek out there.

These mini EMP won't deliver consistent pulse like big serious ones. But they're good enough to cause disruption to anything .. "intermittent disconnection" to cell phones, wi-fi, radio controlled rc cars planes.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
How long does everyone think it will take before people start getting restless? My plan it to get to our safe place by bike. I figured it would take us upwards of a day to get there this way, and that is traveling through mostly countryside.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join