It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMP attack, How to survive?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I wonder if horses would get used again. That is before we had to eat them.
Ammo would not cook off, and matches would still work. So I would be fine............I am sick of tv, and this computer thing is not far behind....My first stop would be the pharmacy like Rambo. after that I would work things out just fine.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by goukilock

As far as the power grid goes, Which parts would need replacing, and which would be ok? Would the actual power lines get fried? I kinda think they would have to start over completely.

Not to mention the fires that would be caused by the overloaded power grid.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
One other question, what are the chances that nuclear power plants would be affected in such a way to cause a meltdown(s). I don't know, but I'm guessing that they are hardened to withstand an EMP, they should be anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Q: I have an old flatpack chest of drawers that I want to use to store all my survival-related electrical hardware in (laptop/data storage/2-way radios/shortwave radio/etc) as an EMP-proof faraday-safe

What size mesh and wire-material would be the best choice to fit-out the drawers with?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Often, when this topic comes up, many people seem to be worried about protecting devices such as a PC during an EMP event. Keep in mind that if you are in close enough proximity for your PC to be affected, that your local power and internet grid will also very likely be toast. So even if your hardware was safe, you may not have power to run it or connectivity even if you did.

In an EMP scenario, loss of computers, televisions and other "comfort" electronic devices will be the least of our problems.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
Is military hardware hardened to withstand EMP?

At my knowledge militaries protect their critical electronics against EMP attacks, because atleast US army has dedicated EMP bombs in their arsenal. Allso there is unconfirmed rumour that US blasted EMP-bomb over bagdad when invading irag 2003 to destroy iraqi communications equipment and aa-radar. not sure about that because it should have been guite easily noticed, because it would have allso fried up all civilian electronics in town. unless it was very small and well targeted.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by hopea

Originally posted by downtown436
Is military hardware hardened to withstand EMP?

. Allso there is unconfirmed rumour that US blasted EMP-bomb over bagdad when invading irag 2003 to destroy iraqi communications equipment and aa-radar. .

I suspect you are right about that, it makes sense to do that.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
what about ammo?

Will an EMP set a stockpile off?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihavenoidea

No it will not.

It won't damage anything other than electronic devises that have any kind of circuit board, other than ones made of Germanium.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

On the Nuclear Power Plants.... Should there be an EMP, Im assuming that the Power would go out immediately.

The Control Fuel Rods are engineered to "Drop Back Down" into place, by GRAVITY , shutting off the reaction in such an occasion.

If the Power plant has backup power that functions, and all the electronics are NOT fried, the Tech's can handle a "controlled" shutdown. Otherwise its gravity and hope nothing 'melted' and wont 'slide back into place'. AKA Chernobyl....

Blitzkreigen.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
An EMP blast wave can be generated by exploding a Nuclear weapon 300 miles above the continetnal target airspace.

For example, an EMP blast 300 miles above the US would cause damage to most of the US. Electrical devices rendered useless.

Food would spoil, travel and communications would come to a crawl.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harman
reply to post by hinky

Thanks
. A simple faraday cage can be made with tin foil. Very nice

Goldarn it,you beat me to it..

Question is though..What would you put in it.. Your TV?PLAYSTATION?/PHONE?
All pretty useless stuff afterwards anyway.

I'd put in a portable generator/guitar and a huge AMP...
Then when the world goes silent all you'll hear is..

KERRRRANNNNGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Ah,yes.. it will be a beacon of hope sounding out for hours on end...[

[edit on 27-5-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
REPOSTED FROM "possible EMP Block"
Why use Paint?

Metallic Window screen, especially COPPER if you can find it, is a bit more effective. Tin Foil works as well.....

The Paint will do nothing for the WINDOWS... even for WIFI.

The EMP shield needs to be 'continuous' and all seams 'bonded' together.

Even a hairline crack or hole will allow EMP to enter your "cage" and destroy your equipment.

If you REALLY need to protect something from EMP, I suggest a Military Metal Box , or crate ( such as what MISSILES come packed in ).

They are continuiously welded at all the seams, and have an O ring between the hinged lid and the bottom of the "crate".. Where this O ring is, you need to fabricate a "Window Screen STRAW" all rolled up neatly, to SMASH IN BETWEEN THE LID AND THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX TO MAKE A COMPLETE BONDED SEAL. Think "Electrically Conductive" between the crate top and bottom, even scraping or wire brushing PAINT off to complete the seal.

THEN seal this seam with metal airconditioning tape. ( after you pack your electronics inside as detailed below )

When you put your electronics inside the box, put a layer of rubber, or even cardboard Down first, to insulate the metal bottom, top and sides from any 'spark gap' electrical contact with your electronics.

Then remove all antennas from your electonics, remove the batteries, hard drives, memory chips AND POWER CORDS from each item.

Wrap each item in rubber or cardboard FIRST. THEN wrap each item in aluminum foil, being sure not to RIP the foil anywhere. Now re-wrap that in another layer of cardboard, to protect the inner foil. NOW re-wrap all that with another layer of FOIL including a short, stranded 10 gauge BONDING WIRE attatched to each 'outer' layer of foil.

Set each piece of electronics carefully inside the crate, and connect EACH bonding wire from each piece of electronics to every other piece of electronics in the "crate".

You have now insulated each item internally from EMP and you have also created a "field" for any stray electrical pulse to EVENLY distribute throughout the ENTIRE inside compartment, ontop the OUTER layer of foil.

********* Here is where the DEBATE starts ***********

1. DO I GROUND all the internal electronics, with their outer layer of foil, to a WET earth ground, outside the "Crate" ? ( including the outer surface the "crate" itself)

OR .....

2. DO I NOT GROUND the internal components to an outside source. ( and DO NOT Ground the outer surface of the "crate" )

********* It really depends on WHO you Believe **********

I personally think that GROUNDING will actually act as a Lightening ROD, attracting EMP. Its SO FAST... Much FASTER than Lightening, and MUCH MUCH HIGHER voltages that even 'lightening arrstors' for HAM antennas are NOT FAST ENOUGH to 'shunt' the stray electrical pulse to even a PROPER 'WET' deep GROUND. Even a very short distance is improbable.

I PERSONALLY go with the "FLOATING GROUND" theory, like the tires of an auto insulating it from the street.

I personally BOND each component on the 'outer layer' of foil ( inside the "crate ", but I DO NOT GROUND the internal components or even the outer 'shell' of the metal "crate" to an outside WET earth Grounding rod.

By 'bonding' the internal components, you create a 'potential' for all of the stray pulses, (that gets through your OUTER crate), to evenly flow over the entire surface area of all theOUTER foil, not just 'one corner' of your HAM or shortwave rig. This should help to dissipate the charge over a wider area internally inside the crate, to prevent damage to select areas of a single item.

DO NOT store rolled up cords inside this "Crate". Do not store wires over 30 inches inside this crate. Do not store antennas inside this crate.

As a final step, after making sure all external seams and holes in the "crate" are sealed, perhaps you could set this crate INSIDE a vehicle, like a covered TRUCK bed,

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Repost continuied: from Possible EMP block...

OK I ran out of room on the last post....

EMP protection Continuied:

BE SURE TO LABEL each piece of electronics on the outer foil sheet.

ALSO, be sure to make an inventory list of each item, its model number and battery requirements on an inventory list.

That way you dont have to remember where something is, or unwrap everything to get to your Shortwave.

You can also stock up on batteries, by reading the inventory list.

One should go niside the crate, and 1 taped to the outer surface, protected from RAIN and "moving damage".

I personally set this entire crate inside an aluminum BOAT, on a Trailer to even act as an additional EMP cage, to a small extent.

I have yet to cover the boat 'TOP' in metal window screen, to complet the second "crate" but I plan on doing that.

Think RUSSIAN 'nesting' DOLLS, or "Faberge Eggs", insulated in between each layer.

******* the GROUNDING is still debatable*****

I personally DO NOT ground my EMP crates, but I will stand corrected if shown the theory and application from a reliable source.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

Note to Moderators:

I feel that this information is important enough to re-post in this thread...
If I did not follow ATS guidelines, I apololgize as I am Ignorant as to the methods to do so properly.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Thank you for putting some of these posts into a proper perspective. When and if this EMP goes off, we will need to worry about survival first AND restoration, but survival is first. No more central A/C or heating, or lattes, we will need clean water (for drinking), food, and sources for these items for maybe a few months. The government very well might be in the same boat and only aid from areas less affected possibly a few /hundred or thousand miles away will be able to help. They of course will have to help those closest to them first as they make their way to us/you. Do not expect help even close to what Katrina viticims received, we will be wishing for that level of assistance when and if this disaster happens. Food, water, warm clothes, cash (maybe), bicycles and weapons to protect yourselves and what you have. Remember the 1st responders might not be even working, as they will be with their families too.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bamaoutlaw
ok dont laugh, but is the emp a missile or just the effect from a missile like a nuke?

When a Nuclear device is set off higher up in the atmosphier of the planet the resulting event is a EMP. EMP (ElectroMegentic Pulse) is a discharging of a wide range of light photons that fry most electrical deivce that are computer or circuit based.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ihavenoidea
what about ammo?

Will an EMP set a stockpile off?

Not unless it is kept near electircal devices that are active.

Basicly think of an arch of electirity frying every electrical device left in the open. That's basicly the effect of an EMP. If ammo was kept near electirical deviced activated at the time of the EMP then the likely hood of there being an acidental set off is high.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

So if someone had an undergound "buried" bunker - would electronics and batteries be safe?

Geographical features someone said could shield somewhat - like mounains?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
There is at least one company that I know of that sells EMP shielding. I've got the information and little samples of materials they sent me out in the car. Shouldn't be hard to find on a Google search, though.

They mainly cater to industries but will sell to individuals. They'll even send you a catalog full of information about what types are best to use for what equipment.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Keep everything important from information in writing and paper print. Computers will die.
Train your memory. You wouldnt believe how much we can remember.
And make connection with a horse ranch, cars are of little use if you cannot maintain roads.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join