It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opening soon in Baghdad: Largest U.S. embassy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Opening soon in Baghdad: Largest U.S. embassy

www.worldtribune.com

WASHINGTON — A Kuwait contractor has concluded the construction of the U.S. embassy in Baghdad.

The $474 million facility is the largest U.S. embassy in the world, with 619 apartments for staffers as well as restaurants, indoor and outdoor basketball courts, volleyball court, and indoor Olympic-size swimming pool.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Amazing. The Bush administration has always been about "sending the right message"... Well here it is, Baghdad:

"Thanks to us, you have no electricity, no job and no future, you have lost close ones and your children risk their lives every day on the way to school, if they're lucky enough to go to one. Now take a load of this: we spent 600 million bucks on an oasis of luxury in your dumpy little city, just for us. Doesn't that want to make you want to become an American? You have got to admire our flair, eh?"

They might as well have built that thing in the form of a fist with its middle finger towering over the city. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect this "embassy" is far larger than any Iraqi public building.

Nihil novi - the Roman emperors always built a triumphal arch in newly conquered lands to awe the locals and show them who's in charge.

It's just too bad that even the size of this architectural debacle and the size of Bush's balls combined won't be enough to disguise the human tragedy surrounding it.

www.worldtribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Wow, I can't believe my eyes! The article is a little patchy though. First it says "delayed for years" then it says "built two years ahead of schedule".

In any case, all I can say is "wow". Don't they think it's a little too soon?!

Crazy.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Yeah, no plans for a long term occupation here. We are just building this luxurious building on the "off chance" that we have to be there for a while.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
And here is the very reason, despite their claims to the contrary, we will not be pulling troops out of Iraq, no matter who may be President come next year.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Hi mattguy404,

I thought it said two yrs AHEAD, too...But i re-checked, and it said two yrs
BEYOND schedule!

Anyway, what a terror magnet! The suicide bombers must be drooling to
visit; ONCE!

How quaint, you can go to the restaraunt, and have a window-view of the
war, with all those nifty explosions in the distance...

Shouldn't it be a HOSPITAL, instead? Or an international aid station?
Couldn't the U.S. use half a billion dollars over here, to help with OUR
country's problems?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
This is where Tony Blair lives in Jerusalem

TONY BLAIR is expected to inspect a prospective new home - known locally as a palace - when he travels to Jerusalem tomorrow on his first trip to the Middle East as a peace envoy.

He is said to be keen to take over the one-time residence of the British High Commissioner for Palestine, with its ballroom and spectacular view of the golden dome of Al-Aqsa mosque.

Blair to inspect Jerusalem palace

[edit on 22-4-2008 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Is this the same US embassy in the Green Zone where staff are told not to go outside unless it's necessary? From other reports I have read, many staff work from other "safer" locations due to constant rocket and mortar attacks.
Then there are all the reports of bad workmanship, overspend and missed schedules. I am sure it cost a lot more than the $474Million USD stated in the article.

Maybe they are just trying to paint a rosy picture.

new topics

top topics

join