It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Gasoline going to $6.00 a gallon?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
$6 is entirely possible. I remember $0.28 a gallon, kids. Hamburgers were $0.15 at McDonald's and the big Mac hadn't been invented yet....

Actually there was a point in my life during my early years of driving, I'd probably say 1986'ish, that we actually were paying $0.60 a gallon here in Colorado. I believe it lasted for 604,800 seconds.

EDIT: There was an issue with my calculations

[edit on 21/4/2008 by wyldwylly]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wyldwylly

Hi wyldwylly, looks like your right on target from what has been happening with the price of gas and diesel. Think of the poor truckers many will have to park their trucks and go out of business. this will have an additional affect on the price of food and hard goods. Rik Riley

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
you say poor truckers, I say we will be poor soon.. haha,
No but seriously, you have it right as soon as the truckers stop delivering people will panic, if they are not already by hording food / water.

I don't know why people pay for the Premium gas, I did see $4.11 this past weekend for Premium, I never buy that stuff, normal everyday junk gas makes my car go just as far and as fast as that Premium stuff does, but Diesel on the other side, it use to be cheaper than gasoline, why the change?... oh ya, greed, it almost slipped my mind.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wyldwylly

Olka. City 1972 I filled up my new corvette at 15 cents a gallon during a gas war this is simply amazing when we compare prices at $3.55 a gal. in S.W Florida today. Next year we will look at $3.55 a gal. as such a bargain. Rik Riley

[edit on 21-4-2008 by rikriley]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Also if anyone is interested I saw an r/c powered car you can order here

Cost: 10,999$ with a 1000$ rebate
Battery Life: 7 minutes (223 D-Cell Rechargeable Batteries)
Mph: 18

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Please help!

Somewhere on ATS (or someplace!) I read about an Executive Order that kicks in when gas gets to a certain $ per gallon or price per barrel - I want to say it was $125-150 per barrel.

I swear I thought it would roll back Sunday Blue Laws and things would be closed. Additionally there were some transportation measures related to school buses, etc. It was discussed in relation to the Hurricane Katrina pipeline disruption. Anyone?

I am not sure if it was a POTUS or Governor's Order. People may want to check on the state level because different states such as ( I think) FL and CA have measures in place to deal with gas prices.

[edit on 21/4/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I did find this pretty effing astounding fact:

www.csmonitor.com...

If gasoline breaks through $4 a gallon by Memorial Day, that would mean spending on gasoline would have risen by $100 billion since the beginning of the year, or roughly the size of the tax rebate checks going out," says Mr. Zandi.

Could this possible be accurate?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Grease the chain on the bike and get a job closer to home. China will be driving and we'll be biking.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bamaoutlaw
A group of Nigerian rebels who wrote a letter to U.S. President George W. Bush, stating that they attacked two oil pipelines Monday, have asked for former President Jimmy Carter and actor George Clooney to help solve issues in the oil-rich Niger-delta.
i am sure that wont help either

www.cnn.com...

That is why people are called Actors, and George Clooney knows where the better Actors money is hidden. The so called Rebels in Nigeria are hired by Royal Dutch Shell, to blow up old Pipelines and make a Huge Explosions to attract Media attention, and within the next Hour or Two, the Stock Brokers have a valid reason to raise the Price of GAS......That's Monkey Business !!!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramb0

Hi Ramb0, that little car is cute to bad it can only run 7 minutes at a time. Watch the electric car business explode in the next 18 months. Rik Riley

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

This proves to me the government has inside information when it comes to the projected price of oil. This $100,000,000,000 figure that is coming our way in the form of tax relief is no coincidence. To bad you can not eat or drink gasoline because for many it will be the choice between food or putting gas in their tank. Rik Riley

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

School busing could come to a screeching halt if the present increase trend of higher gasoline prices continue. It will become a decision to pay the school teachers salaries or busing children in from different areas. I project that children will be aloud to go to the school nearest where they live if applicable. This will be in discussion when gas prices hit $4.00 a gal. Rik Riley

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rikriley

Many, many municipalities are facing budget shortfalls this year already (and it's just April) due to higher gas prices for public transportation and city owned vehicles, as well as decreased revenue from local sales tax from a corresponding decrease in consumer spending.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

jpm good point about riding your bicycle but the Chinese are heavily dependent on our economy for their economic survival. When I spent a month in China back in 1989 the mode of travel was by bicycle or by foot. Things have changed drastically since that time. Rik Riley

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Hi kosmicjack, you are correct and look for state and local taxes to go thru the roof in the next 2 years not to mention our income taxes. These local governments will be very creative when it comes to hidden and out in the open taxes. Rik Riley

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by anti us gov

Hi anti, I knew gasoline was much more expensive in Europe then the U.S. Yes the common market countries have opened up as far as trade in those countries but here in the U.S. we cover a larger land mass aprox. 3,000 miles coast to coast and depend more so on our autos and trucks. Where in Europe they depend on their cars and trucks, but also depend more on mass transit. I assure you our mass transit systems will be utilized to the max as gas and diesel prices escalate. Rik Riley

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
$6/gal, eh? I don't see it happening. I think the $5/gal mark is the threshold for gasoline but see diesel as going slightly higher. After $5/gal, I think big oil will be taking their life in their hands as people will begin to revolt, hopefully taking the bloated protectionist federal gov't with it.

As for why diesel is higher that gasoline you are correct that it take far less refining for diesel, but the oil companies chose to raise diesel and deal with fewer complaints.

Good catch on the rebate being equal. An old GHW Bush quote is "I don't have to watch the morning news, I already know what it is going to be about." So yeah, the federal gov't is "in the know" as well as big oil "knowing" how best to spend those checks.

Europe is and will always be higher due to the "free" healthcare (that free lunch comes from those higher per liter taxes), less need (mass transit) and difference in economic factors. I knew a German engineer paid at a German rate in US dollars that made 35% more per year than an American counterpart in 1995. I would imagine due to exchange rates and the fallen US dollar to the Euro it could be closer to 50% today.

And that burger chain must have been a northern Ohio thing...wasn't in the Cincy area. But we had Burger Chef (bought out by Hardee's) and Zantego (a cheap taco chain that offered tacos without sour cream long before Taco Bell did) also saddly long gone. One local spot long gone was The Red Barn a nice buffet style with less selection but better quality than Golden Corral.

You could add generators to the free spining wheels (as opposed to drive wheels) to recharge as you drive. Think of an old style bycycle generator, except not rubbing the sidewall of the tire. Not a perfect solution, but it should extend the range quite a bit.

Did I miss a topic?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Down here in Melbourne Australia we are currently paying $1.50+ a liter!

Right across the board prices are skyrocketing. Food, elec, gas, medical insurance, you name it.
The housing affordability is now classed as a crisis point by the Govt.

Todays headline in the paper is:

"One in five borrowers losing their homes"

So the problems are not just U.S based, as the same things are happening on the other side of the world.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
LOL Ahab. I think you covered them all. No secret the gov is in on the conspiracy. There will reach a peak cost until truckers shut down and economic chaos. I vaguely remember 'the red barn'. I wish everyone could have had the opportunity to savor a real american burger, fries, and a birch beer with an iced frosted mug (not this soy junk). Google royal castle birch beer. There is some limited info. Some of my best memories childhood memories.
Wow, burginthethorn. Sounds like a systematic takeout of society globally. If we don't die nicely in there timeframe they will figure other ways to take us out. Nice governments.

[edit on 4/21/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
About Peak Oil :
www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net...

The last major oil discovery was in 1980. Now the easy to get oil is running out, and the oil left is proving to be too expensive to extract. So there will be no oil or there will be oil with a very high price
Even the oil companies agree on that :
Shell oil commercial :
video.google.com...

Research about EROEI and Export Land Model

Solution : Do what Cuba did when they lost 80% of their oil imports in 1990. Yes the evil, child eating communists from Cuba

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

Spurred into action by the collapse of the Soviet Union and the disastrous effect this had on its subsidized economy, the government of Cuba was forced to take radical steps to feed its people. The solution it chose -- essentially unprecedented both within the developed and undeveloped world -- was to establish a self-sustaining system of agriculture that by necessity was essentially organic.

And besides that they use bicycles a lot , which I would like to see more

[edit on 22-4-2008 by pai mei]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join