It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Fears Chinese Hackers Have Back Door Into US Government & Military

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Cisco products are probably just one such security threat. I've seen drivers for various computers/peripherals 'communicate" with overseas sites....including China through proxy or directly. These pieces of software can just sit and wait until commanded to do some task, at their creators' whim. I think the US Government should look at what they have bought from China especially in terms of computer hardware and their associated drivers. How many Lenovo/IBM machines are there out there with new "updated" drivers???The good news is the government probably keeps all the juicy secrets behind locked doors and off the networks.....at least I hope they do....

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
well to be honest, if your government was not so intent on taking over the world and having your intelliegnce agents creating false documents to support war, maybe some more time would have been spent on the security of your nations data. And more over, the trillions saved on the wars would be a big chunk off money to pay for it properly and not to the lowest bidder. Only a thought.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The Chinese,have been doing this to us for years and in the name of diplomancy we have allowed them to spy on us.As an earlier poster said Dick Marcinko has been warning us about this for years.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
(please ignore this post if it bothers you or you think its just a troll)

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
The military frowns upon wireless...meaning it is not used for sensitive info much less being able to get on a base with wireless equipment.Plus the military keeps all of its Disa network equipment in rooms with Faraday Cages.Even if they had wireless it cannot get through that nor will wireless work inside.

(wipes sweat from brow) thank god, that makes me feel so much safer! lol Sorry, Im all for technology and this that and the other thing, I just cant help but see how fragile it all is, and how silly it all really is.
Sure money makes the world go round, but when I watch the discovery channel, they say its not money, but human will and drive that gets things done, if this is TRUE, then why have to go through a middle man or bank, can we not be selfless and work together? Or is that impossible with the temptation and lock down of society and freedom through money?
(maybe those people you think would not put in their share, are only those types of people because of greed)
Whats wrong with the barter system? Maybe Im a communist, maybe Im just a silly anarchist, maybe Im a realist, maybe Im a troll, maybe Im you pretending to be me, maybe Im me pretending to be you, maybe I should have never asked why, maybe Im compassionate, maybe Im obsessed, maybe, just maybe, things will all work for positive TRUTH ONE day.

So then I must ask, are these cages and special military places, guarded from psychics and photographic memories heaven bent on compromising the integrity of any law creating factors?
(ooohh, contradicting) lmao (what about gods law!?)
Blah blah, we need laws, fear tactics this and that, you know what, if there were no laws, there would be no crimes, the weak (those who resort to violence and brute force) will be outwitted and forced to surrender to divine understanding. There are only so many bullets and blunt objects, knowledge and wisdom are infinite. Do note, many of us thinkers or lovers, are well versed in martial arts as well, we just dont fight for pride,(we never fight, only dance) when one comes trying to advertise pride, they most always fail any battle, for their roots are shallow.

nip the problems at the core; all these cosmetic corrections only perpetuate the ignorance that we are conditioned into serving.

And no need to label me a lunatic, I know I am(to few), but you know what, its gotten me everywhere I need, everything I need, and the nothing I want, thus humbling those around me in person, not on internet forums where people come to act the way they dont in person, to say the things they fail to say when the time is right. Think me a hypocrite, and know I am not, I would not be here on the internet if I did not see such a fallacy in real life in the first place.

Have a little faith, and no, Im not trying to convert anyone to anything except love and truth.

I accept my military friends, I accept my corporate buddies, but why is it they come asking a tin foil mad hatter for advice in their businesses etc? Could it be because they know us 'out there' folks know a thing or two about the nature, and that we will give them advice they can choose to understand or use to understand how to manipulate others into dependence for self service.
Give to caesar what is caesars, give to the universe, what is the universes. Money and Gas are played out, last epochs model, lets wake up and learn from our experiences! (and people wonder why there is an "illuminatti" and or nwo) (if you dont learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it)
And no, Im not better than anyone, and no, I dont presume you think, I think I am. (look yes, right there, you just did)(mighty presumptuous of me dont you think) Im a piece of dust on the carpet, I am nothing, I am worthless and have no value to anything that is infinite, I am merely decaying flesh, as are you. and I love you for it. sorry for the troll, this is how I would respond to this issue in real life as well, so if it seems out of context, look a little deeper and open up your mind. better yet, just open your heart. Im not saying destroy hospitals or force people into the jungle, Im not asking for any responses, just reflections in thought; Im saying let us realize how awesome humans truly are, how far we can actually take the entire experience without enslaving our selves to the inside of the box, out of suffering and into understanding for all.
(I heard that, "this guy is off on some weird tangent") no, im not special, and you think that, I think I am, GET OVER YOUR SELF, you know what, thats all in your head, and I can prove it, imagine this is selfless, because it is. Lose the ego and others will disappear as well. (Id stay and debate, but I am not trying to troll, just voice what my heart said to say)
♥PEACE♥
the point is, next time you talk to that chipper guy or gal you think is "normal" working the 9-5, think again, WEre all around you, and when things someday fall, WEre not picking up the pieces you may think WE will, you'll realize WE've already assembled pieces that were there all along, PEACE and LOVE.♥ assimilate your SELF lmao

"if we truly understood time, we would not build skyscrapers, we would build pyramids"-your future past self

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Note the ppt emphasis on GSA. This is the potential security breach due to our horrifying systems for procurement, driven by big money lobbying. GSA negotiates price schedules with IT vendors, and then acts as a one-stop-shop reseller for DoD, both houses of Congress, etc. B/c the vendor's prices are set, their profit margin is determined by their cost. Buy a $1300 router on eBay for $250, the House Intelligence Committee is still paying $1300 for it.

And the security threat is real, although not from the Chinese. Two key points from the ppt: 1) "no vetting of vendors by Cisco or GSA"; 2) "requires 'intimate access to target system'." That's how most of the House and Senate networks operate. MS, IT vendors, and congressman lobbied all the UNIX servers off the Hill as "security risks" during the late 90's and early GWB administration, and 'outsourced' network security in the form of "commercial off-the-shelf" (CotS) software. So private vendors adapt their source code to proprietary government networks and even have physical access to servers. Talk about intimate.

The biggest crime of all is that IT security is handled individually by each department/agency, instead of the arguably the best and most sophisticated collection of computer security experts in the world: the NSA.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Well, which government is bothered about security issues whilst awarding contracts? Take a look here:

Government Procurement: Sealed Bid, Invitation for Bid (IFB)

Following receipt and evaluation of the bids, a contract is usually awarded to the lowest priced bidder, determined to be responsive and responsible by the contracting officer.

Each sealed bid is opened in public at the purchasing office at the time designated in the invitation. Facts about each bid are read aloud and recorded. A contract is then awarded to the low bidder whose bid conforms with all requirements of the invitation and will be advantageous to the government in terms of price, and price-related factors included in the invitation.

National security be damned! 'It's the economics, stupid!'

www.findrfp.com...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This is more proof that ATS is a significant place.

#

What is missing from this discussion is any definitive info on whether these routers actually contain malicious software or hardware. Has anyone actually identified a security breach?

For example, there is a big difference between counterfeiting money, and poisoning money. Both are bad, but one is much worse.

I disagree with some of the posters who say that it would be impossible to detect whether these routers had embedded trojans and backdoors. We could find that out. It wouldn't take long to strip down one of these routers completely and do a careful analysis of the hardware and software. (We are talking about the vast resources of the US government here. They do that type of careful analysis for fun, I believe.)

Were these counterfeit routers built strictly for profit? Or was there some really sinister motive here?

Edit: I don't think we will ever be told the full truth regarding this. That would be too embarrassing to certain government officials.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I would say it is more like Cisco has been infiltrated.More than likely Cisco simply changed vendors of the makers of a particular server card.As costs go up company's start looking to save money as well.They probably went with a cheaper vendor for that card....which more than likely was from China.Cisco could be in deep water for this one though. It is really up to them to test their equipment for things like that.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Yeah thats a fake! Its probably designed by the government or someone who knows how to scare people who are into all this and by the looks of it it has convinced alot of people!

Enjoy...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
what worries me is that there will be more scrutiny of this website by the govt.
Its good that this website was used to uncover something sinister but events like these forshadow members privacy

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The US government should have known that Cisco equipment is not that cheap in the first place. One rule of thumb "If its too good to be true it usually is"

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

That was one of the first thoughts I had. Typically the gov pays more than something is worth if we look at purchasing history.

These is the possibility that vendors are billing the normal price but supplying the lower cost/quality equipment to increase their profit margin. This fact might not be discovered without a physical inspection of the equipment.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

Stupid idiots!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The government does very few things correct. When they do, they proceed to mess it up. A few years ago DoD implemented PKI with the use of CAC cards, which was a brilliant move. Today, however, instead of using this secure infrastructure at the device level most routers, firewalls, and VPNs are implemented using shared passwords. In this Scenario, a fake Cisco product could collect these passwords the real Cisco products use and send them off network for some hacker to use. When is the Government going to wake up and realize security is "job one?"

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
This is definitely not the first time, When the US Navy outsourced the building of the Aegis Weapons System to Chinese companies, and they ended up copying the whole thing!

I used to work at Cisco, and always wondered about H-1 Visa employees selling designs, etc. back to their own countries companies/governments. (There used to be alot of copies of very strange newspapers from China all over the breakrooms in one of my buildings! The articles always had a very odd take on the US when I would check them out before tossing them in the trash!)

Maybe CEOs will finally realize that the miniscule amounts of money they save is not worth the hassle and the financial trouble (lets see how much Cisco's stock dips as confidence dips!!) that it ultimately brings them, besides a bad taste in American workers mouths and loss of that high reputation!

If businesses tried using a little thing called Common Sense there would be a lot less problems!!

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I think secuirty boils down to make the parts here for DoD, not in China. Period. Right there, you are reducing security breaches considerably.

The DoD should also stay out of the commercial sector as these systems are full of holes. For example, using BEA systems commercial software for an SOA framework to combine diparate applications into a web services model.

Even using the Java language doesn't meet the required security assurance level and many DoD apps use Java. Hackers are very familar with Java.

You can get good security with SOAP using the WS-Security suite of protocols, but those secure SOAP messages are quite bloated and not ideal for low-bandwidth environments like at Sea.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

I was thinking how foolish it was for you to say that the Chinese government should monitor the Chinese companies and severly punish them...
Then I saw your user name "Ichi San" or something like that, and of course, the fox guarding the henhouse and telling the hens how to let the fox guard the hens security became all too clear.

Unfortunately, I am convinced the usa tree hugging mutli-culti crowd is so sensitive and so stupid from their 60's drug induced sex crazed washout and their hatred of themselves and the US Government, that they would blindly or even knowingly compromise security, as their idea of US total world domination and control requires them to behave in an outward or even subconscious manner that undermines the USA.

My advice is to send your enemy propaganda to the appropriate US government agencies and state department and CBO purchasing watchdogs, and they will likely adopt it 100% as soon as they make sure the Communist Chinese government is not offended and approves of it 110%.

I recall about one year ago, the head administrator of US Government purchases was quietly let go, under the radar of reported news, as it was found he lied about his ties to terror organizations on his application. I don't recall if his first name was Mohammed, but it wouldn't surprise me one iota, since the tree hugging goofballs no doubt demanded as many middle eastern people as possible be immediately hired or promoted to the highest positions after 911 to "prove" that America is not bigotted and racist. So anyway, they let the guy go, and I caught it from some obscure report, then saw the government data online at one of the .gov sites in some obscure area one had to make some ridiculous way to through their tangled US .gov website.

When I used to run a trace program on my computer 24/7/365 to see who was trying to hack into it, about 90% of the traces went straight back to China on the included map. Then I heard the news reporting about Chinese government sponsored hacking.

We have a severe problem, because the naive hippy freak love crowd now running the nation has a severe inner child guilt complex, and if they dared suspect a foreign race/skin color, they would instantly beat themselves into submission and silently choke down the thought, then attack anyone else who dared speak such a thought.
Proof of that came out with a Muslim FBI guy who refused to wear a wire against a brotha Muslim terror suspect. When other FBI agents complained, they were demoted, and religious Islam FBI job shirker/terrorist protector was promoted. The government lost its case initially against the terrorist.
This is reality. Reality also says to me, there isn't a chance in Hades the gov. will clear this Cisco Router problem up. It's too big a job for them to even keep or execute foriegn terrorists picked up on the battlefield with American blood all over them. They feed them lemon chicken then let 57 Islamic States and assorted other USA hater govs to demand their release and return to their newly or recently acquired citizenship nations (while their place of birth and loyalty applauds the stupidity of the enemy).
It's a miracle things have gone so well since 911. I guess the USA is really a loved place, otherwise something would have already happened again, and again, and again.
Good luck with your infiltration IchiSan, comrade, you won't need it, it will be easy.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
how would you even begin to start a boycott china campaign? I've tried boycotting disney only to learn that i'm still supporting them thru a sister or cousin company. You can't win, it's impossible.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Funny these two Texans, the Edman brothers of Syren Technology, are back in California living high off the profits from scamming Cisco and the US Government. They need their income taxes audited at least. Why is nothing being done to stop them or punish them? Maybe we should at least make them pay taxes on their profits.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fievel3782

get a linksys and also get vista on it ultimate and change your password like every day or format it that makes it hard to becuase the pc is like new then all over again most computers go from dates anyhow

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join