It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Rationing Hitting US Stores?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I feel some of this situation and an upcoming problem is the 'just in time' inventory mentality. This may help companies with cash flow, etc. but any interruption of the supply chain or people's perceived need to obtain more than usual will cause big problems.

I also don't think all the profit from rising prices is going to only the oil companies. Some one else is increasing theirs also.

[edit on 4/21/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I never gave it much thought before... but perhaps some groups really are hoping to cull the population... this could be a prep for it. One would assume they'd aim for world war to do this, but it would seem most attempts to spark the powder keg have all been stifled so far.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
There was a big article in I think Newsweek or Time magazine about the increase in food prices. I saw it in a doctors office on April 17 so it was either April or May issue.

But here is an article from the AP on Yahoo.com about the food inflation rising fastest is 17 years

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I've seen people discuss the situation and call it like it is ... a capitalist market correction ... and I've seen people say that those who are flippers and speculators shouldn't be bailed out .... but I haven't seen anyone be 'indifferent' to people who have lost their homes (as long the people buying weren't over-extending on purpose).
Not to be argumentative, but your own post demonstrates the indifference I was referring to.

You can call it a capitalist market correction, and the individuals flippers and speculators, but what it really translates into are a lot of people in this country are now homeless because of unscrupulous bankers and morgage companies. The lending institutionsare being bailed out by the government even though they were basically committing crimes, but all the blame seems to be put on the buyers for some reason..

Obviously a lot of people were desperate to own homes, and weren't financially savvy enough to realize they were getting set up. Haven't you ever bought anything you really wanted, but actually couldn't afford? A lot of people do it whether they admit to it or not. Why do we have so much bankruptcy in this country otherwise?

[edit on 4/21/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by loam

I'm amazed that FOXNews and CNN are focusing more on the riots and violence, instead of the potential humanitarian crisis that is about to hit Africa when we can no longer provide food aid.

Maybe those people in Africa (and elsewhere) should try practicing farming instead of genocide while we support them with food. Or maybe that is their way of implementing population control.

Marie Antionette (Queen of France) once offered a possible solution when told that her people lacked bread. She said, "Let them eat cake..."

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

That does seem to be a reasonable take on that situation. It think we are seeing it spread into most parts of our lives now. People really need to decide where to spend their money. It is the only 'weapon' we have against business. Of course many markets are limited because of mergers, etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Marie Antionette (Queen of France) once offered a possible solution when told that her people lacked bread. She said, "Let them eat cake..."
I'm sure when food becomes scarce here in the U.S. we'll hear a similar statement being made regarding us too!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Some of the comments here make me sick.

This is what my Mum had to survive on in London during World War 2, from 1940 onwards when the UK introduced real food rationing.

(per person per week):
Butter or lard: 4 ounces (113.4 grammes)
Sugar: 12 ounces (340.2 grammes)
Raw bacon or Ham: 4 ounces (113.4 grammes)
Eggs x2
Cooked bacon or Ham: 3.5 ounces (99.3 grammes)
Bread & Vegetables ... join a queue and hope for the best.

Most food shops were only open 2 or 3 days per week because of the sheer lack of produce. Look at the lack of food there. Try making that last a week. It's a task most of us couldn't possibly contemplate.

Oh aye. There was that other business going on too ... what was it called again ? Oh yeah. The Blitz. My poor bloody Mother, the things she had to put up with. Mine is the luckiest generation alive in so many ways.

Rationing ? Most of you wouldn't know rationing if it slapped you right in the face. To hear Americans complaining about rationing because they can't buy their usual bag of Uncle Ben's boil in the bag rice ... or because the price has "gone up" ... when half the world goes hungry every night is absolutely disgusting.

You should hang your heads in shame.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Charity

They had rationing in the United Statess as well during WWII, and I doubt most Americans fared any better than the average Brit.

If the US starts feeling the crunch of shortages, you can bet the UK will too. As our dollar declines, so does the Euro. If we meltdown all the World will be following in short order.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Um, I think you misread the meaning of that quote. Not putting you down, but just re-read the circumstances of that quote. You'll realize it was an insult to the French people... however it's also speculated that she never actually said that, and it was seeded into the news back then as a way to spark an uprising.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The Wall Street Journal is now picking up the story.

It occurs to me that with coverage on Drudge and the WSJ, that alone could drive the speed of the crisis. Kind of like preparations before a big snow storm.

I think we will see real hoarding behavior this week.

Like I said previously, this could get scary fast.

EDIT:

I posted this article in the rice thread. I wouldn't read this one in the dark:

US Food Riots Much Closer Than You Think

[edit on 21-4-2008 by loam]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charity
Some of the comments here make me sick.

Rationing ? Most of you wouldn't know rationing if it slapped you right in the face. To hear Americans complaining about rationing because they can't buy their usual bag of Uncle Ben's boil in the bag rice ... or because the price has "gone up" ... when half the world goes hungry every night is absolutely disgusting.

You should hang your heads in shame.

When my parents got married, their wedding gifts consisted mostly of gasonline ration cards, so that they could go on a honeymoon from Chicago to Wisconsin. My Mom would never throw away a piece of tin foil, and that included the foil from a chewing gum wrapper. We recycled everything. She learned that while she was young, and it was required.

With that said, the man I am living with, is old enough to remember when they had rationing for other necessities, like shoes. He went barefoot for a lot of the year unless his older brothers did not wear out their shoes first.

Do you live in the US to make this assumption? Granted some of us might enjoy something frivolous like boil in bag rice, but some of us have heard from our elders what it is to appreciate a luxury. Some of us learned by way of carry over.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

It is indeed a scary read if all the facts are accurate. I had suspected as much myself, but really didn't want to believe how vulnerable as a nation we had become.

[edit on 4/21/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I haven't seen any signs of rationing or shortages here in Western Washington... yet. I have seen clear signs that people are buying larger amounts and making fewer trips to the store, however. This is probably due to some of the highest gas prices in the nation outside of California. I've noticed a slightly higher food bill but I've written that off to having a 2 year old that eats quite well, little in the way of cheap processed foods and plentiful amounts of fresh, organic meat, milk, and produce. That adds up quickly.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

My thoughts exactly. I opted not to post the story so as not to feed into the fear but with all of the other sources now reporting it, it's bound to happen.

Hurricane and snow storms also drive gas availability. I'm sure that's next. Last summer there was an article where someone said gas would be at 125 to 150 by summer 2008...and people just laughed and laughed as they thought that was sooooo crazy. We'll see.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I would also like to add that few things would be as effective at making a large population totally compliant as food rationing. People will be apoplectic about feeding their children, conforming to whatever new rules might be established and possibly resorting to vigilante justice and snitching for rule breakers.

Since this is a conspiracy site, put on your tin hat and connect the dots between this story and the many others floating aound regarding martial law, concentration camps, "Homegrown" terror, growing threat of Fascism and Bush not stepping down.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
...and I think this is VERY interesting if you wonder what the Gov't is wondering about:

cryptogon.com...

You just know they have a Plan A, Plan B, etc...for any contingency. They are putting out feelers to read the pulse.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Now *that* is damned interesting.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Nonsense. There is no food shortage in the U.S.A.. There is increase in the cost of food as well as anything else but no shortages. All it takes is one fool to start a rumor and off it goes.
Vote for Ron Paul for President.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I don't know about food rationing but I have started fattening up my neighbors dog just in case.

$1.99 a pound for Zucchini!!! Usually ya can't give that stuff away. Thank goddess I garden.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join