It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Rationing Hitting US Stores?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Actually that is the whole issue with propaganda the higher the demand the prices will go up.

The whole global problem started when the US dollar went down the hill with the help of US federal reserve trying to save their own arses in the banking system.

People needs to do a memory line walk and see where we were on oil and food before the bubble market crash.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
First time poster - long time reader...

There have been several mentions of people planting gardens in response to the economic meltdown in our midst. While this is wise, indeed (in my opinion), make sure that the seeds you use to grow your plants are heirloom seeds. We are gardeners ourselves, and this is one of our cardinal rules. Why? Because most standard hybrids, like you might find in a grocery store or major chain store, will produce enormous and wonderful vegetables the first year, but then are unable to regenerate from seed the next year due to the seeds of the second generation of said plants being sterile.

I've seen this topic mentioned before on various ATS threads, but in case those of you watching this thread did not know this - this is important to know in case you need to let some of your plants go to seed for use in a garden next year.

From What is an Heirloom Vegetable?

Now, however, there are more and more vegetables that will not come back "true to type." For example, plant nearly any F-1 hybrid tomato, and go through the steps described above to save seed. The next spring, plant it, and see what happens. The seed may not even germinate, since it may be sterile. If it does sprout, the young plants will probably not have many of the characteristics that made its parent noteworthy. While hybrids have many outstanding qualities, the ability to reproduce themselves is clearly not one of them.

Short story long - make sure to use heirloom seeds if you plan on being self-sustaining from year to year.

Woody

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Is it me, or is this another piece of garbage situation, helped come into fruition, by that piece of garbage that is in the White House?

Again, here we are. Though, it's not "terrorists" this time. Another contol mechanism potentially going into place.

Troy

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
For the record, I was at a Seattle suburb Safeway store last night. Rumors of rice shortages in the Puget Sound have been greatly exaggerated! Rice supply was abundant at this particular store, with numerous bags of Mahatma, California, and good old fashioned white rice on shelves (including the usual 4 or 5 25 lb bags they always have on the bottom shelf). There was a horrific shortage of chicken Rice-a-roni, however. I was going to take advantage of the 10 for $10 sale, but, sadly, there were no boxes left so I had to make do with selecting from the dozens of other boxes in various flavors. They get their next shipment of chicken Rice A roni tomorrow morning with an expected delivery time of 3 AM. I asked the manager if he was expecting a long line of people there at 3 AM waiting to buy the chicken Rice-a-roni and if he planned on rationing it to make sure everyone at least had a chance to get some. He looked at me strangely and just walked off, so I believe he knows something he doesn't want everyone else to be aware of. I'll keep everyone posted.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Prices are up because truckers need more to haul food & other goods. Stores compensate. The trucking companies who have year long contracts can't make a profit, and may stop operating. So there is plenty food, it just may not be able to get to your local store depending on who delivers. Those who do, charge more. Those who do not, ration.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Today's newspaper from Vancouver

A dramatic spike in the price of flour over the past two months has led to a dire warning from a Vancouver food store manager.

"It's just going up, going up. Pretty soon you'll be paying $10 for a loaf of sliced bread"...

"Our supplier has told us we might end up getting our deliveries in a Brink's truck"

Foods such as milk and meat, which require grain-based animal feed to produce, are on the rise and fresh produce prices are climbing.

Rising food demand in emerging economies such as China and India, coupled with the conversion of land from production of food to growing bio-fuels, have driven food prices up around the world.

Source

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Working in the grocery business there has been a recent surge in prices on just about everything from asparagus to diapers to zucchinis. Supply, so far as I've noticed, hasn't been affected in any way. There are, of course, seasonal issues when a certain item might not be as readily available in April as it might be in say, September...

Most of the increase in food prices have been driven by not only the obvious ones of fuel costs, but also the pressure of converting corn into fuel substitutes. Having to balance these is whats driving the increases, and perhaps the inavailability of certain staple items.

I used to work for a grcoery store and I placed the orders for the grocery deptarment. Sometimes what you order simply does not arrive on the truck. So, an item (such as rice) will be sold out for a few days. Also, if an item is on sale or is in high demand we will limit the number of items a customer can purchase at one time. This is not unusual. But when this is all over the news, any NORMAL outage is reported and hyped to be something it is not. This engineer fellow sounds like a spoiled brat with an insultated life. Who needs 20 lbs of rice at one time anyway? It'll just get bugs before you use it all.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This is an important information piece. Folks, we are in the beginning, nay, make that midst, living in the destruction of Amerika. Prices are getting higher each day, Food is now becoming short, and soon "they" will instigate rationing so that people will think that stocking up is a bad thing. You had better bring in some supplies before they are unavailable. Things like dried lentils, beans plus a goodly stock of canned fruits, tomatoes, are all quite reasonable at Sams club or Wal Mart. Forewarned is fore armed. Here is a email and web site I believe will be helpful to all concerned. this guy has been thinking ahead and has all the items for long storage that we thinking people will need.
READ... www.homestylemercantile.com...

Subject: Re: Food rationing begins, U.S.
URGENT: Food rationing begins, U.S.
READ... www2.nysun.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Keep in mind there's already rationing in Amerika. There's already rationing of cold medicines under the false guise of "fighting the evil meth makers". And how is the rationing of cold medicines enforced? They force you to "show your papers".

Food rations will be enforced by forcing you to "show your papers".

(Wasn't there a book that prophecized about a future where you'll have to show your mark in order to buy or sell?)

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I am a Chef and so far they have not limited rice for us but the shortage of rice to the general public has caused local restaurants to start buying up rice like crazy. I was talking to my vender and he said some restaurants bought 50 plus bags when there regular orders are like five.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I went to my local Super Walmart (in a large city in Florida) to start my stock up of certain items. There wasn't a bag of rice above 1 pound to be found (and there were only a few of the 1 pound ones) out of a very large rice section (the section was just empty it was kind of eerie). Also ammo was in very short supply and the boxes of 500 .22 LR ammo was completely sold out. I ended up going to another place and got 2 - 20 lbs bags of rice (i'll get more the next time I go) and several large bags of dry beans.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Well I got my rice and it was plenty but then again I live in GA.

Anyway, like I said before it will be to that point that food will be in there right in front of your eyes, fresh available but . . . would you be able to afford it?

And then again this is what will prompt some to get into food frenzy and start riots.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The first round is going very well. Most are able to secure Rice and beans with no problems. The next round is wheat products and a little trickier, since ground wheat draws bugs. The wheat rust issue is pretty scary since once a continent is infected there is no viable way to overcome it. I believe we may not get much of a chance at wheat and other cereal grains at all.

Some folks have noticed they are seeing very short pull dates on the things they are trying to buy. Be careful on old foods.

Be also wary of the food value of freeze dried meals as many are only 300 calories per meal, some more and some less. Not enough energy for a full work day and folks are allowing for one meal per day. Bad planning.

You should be picking up full meal canned foods. Beef Stew, Clam Chowder, Chile, Canned tuna, etc, all with long shelf dates. Don't get scared into buying short dates on these.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
While picking up milk, eggs and bread yesterday in Publix, I noticed their supply on the shelf for white rice was very low, the big 5 and 10lb bags of rice were all gone... all brands and they only had 2 big bags of brown rice. They did have a few of the small size plastic bags of brown and white rice.

I didn't see the manager or I would have asked if he was just late in restocking the shelfs or if supply was really low.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm noticing something very odd, when going to multiple super-stores like Target, Walmart, and grocery stores. And that is that the shelves are completely stocked, sometimes rows of products that haven't been touched. I think people are not buying because money is too tight.

However when you go to the shelves like flour, sugar, rice, beans, bread those items are moving. I'm finding that on the cereal shelves the regular cold cereal is staying on the shelf and people are buying more oatmeal and cream of wheat items.

I think the smart thing to do is to stock up now, not when a problem (a stortage, hurricane, war, economic collapse) is a day away. Always have not just two weeks of extra food around, but 1-3 months of food or longer if you have the room to store it.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by darthchaosofrspw

I won't tell you where it was, because I'm ashamed of having actually shopped there, but they do have low prices on generic alergy medicine like sudafed generic...I waited in a line for nearly 40 minutes so I could show them "my papers" to get this stuff...then I whent shopping for food and they were totally out of all rice and in all the canned isles it looked like a swarm of starving wombats had whent in there and completely cleaned the place out...I've never seen store shelves so empty and disorganized with the items that were there...

Actually I've been noticing this a lot more lately in a variety of grocery stores, that the shelves just aren't as full as they used to be...expecially the mexican section and canned areas...

hmmmm?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Went to 2 different Sam's Clubs this weekend. One was completely out of all sacks and boxes of rice, the other had only 2 boxes left out of 4 shelves, one of which looked like it had been run over by a forklift, the other had broken open and spilt rice all over the place.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by darthchaosofrspw
Keep in mind there's already rationing in Amerika. There's already rationing of cold medicines under the false guise of "fighting the evil meth makers". And how is the rationing of cold medicines enforced? They force you to "show your papers".

Food rations will be enforced by forcing you to "show your papers".

(Wasn't there a book that prophecized about a future where you'll have to show your mark in order to buy or sell?)

Hmmm, one has to wonder why they wouldn't just use their powers to make any drug with sudafed by prescription only, making you have to show your (insurance & little green) papers to a doctor, then show your (prescription) papers to a pharamcist, and then show those (little green) papers to the register operator one last time. I also believe this nefarious Nazi-esque plot has been going on far longer in the United States than you may think. How many decades now has the law required young looking drinkers to show their papers to make sure they're over 21? Don't even get me started on how those jack booted thugs make us show our papers to purchase tobacco! My God, I just realized another thing... I was asked to show my paper at the bank the other day when I was trying to cash a check! It's become so clear now, driver's licenses are the mark of the beast.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join