It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World language?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Just a question, I have:

If tomorrow, every people on planet earth was speaking, reading & writing the same language and there was only that language... (does not matter which one, have your pick: English, Chinese, French, German, etc.).

How long do you think, it will take for re-creating several differents languages like we have now?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If we are made from numbers, why can we not speak in numbers? Did you know that Greek, Hebrew, Sanskrit and some others correlate with numbers? And did you know that the occult mystics would "check the math" of names and such to make sure they were true within regards to what got put into sacred texts?

I think no matter what language we speak, in time, I dont know how long, but in time, we will evolve to be able to speak in purely numbers. Speaking only the truth.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychedeliack
I think no matter what language we speak, in time, I dont know how long, but in time, we will evolve to be able to speak in purely numbers. Speaking only the truth.

Maybe with time, we will evolve so much, that we will not even need language (telepathy), isn't what people who claims to been abducted by aliens says, that those aliens understands each other without talking?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PopeyeFAFL

Well, given that we are just a biological form based on numbers, I would imagine speaking in numbers would probably mean psychic communication

I believe we had psychic communication before we created written language, things got a bit out of hand(confused languages), and now we are finally at the point where written language is beginning to explain all the discrepancies within itself along the way. Maybe we are already in that evolved state, we just dont live it.

There are silent retreats you can go to, its pretty amazing the communication you can develop in a community that has taken a vow of silence.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
English is already the unofficial "world language".

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PopeyeFAFL

Well, to take a stab at your question. We would see very slight dialects arise within decades of the one language. Assuming people all over the world have preserved their history, culture, etc., it would not take too long at all for slight dialects to arise to account for peoples different experiences, cultures, religions, etc.

The rate at which this would occur might be slower due to the rapid and prolific means of communication today. It took the U.S. about a century to develop its own brand of English away from the British version. It may take longer now.

It would probably still take centuries for full blown differing languages to arise. It took about a thousand years for the romance languages to arise from Latin.

Of course all this assumes we can agree on what a different language is. Often times this is a political question, and not scientific. For example "Norwegian" and "Danish" are, for all practical purposes, the same language, but due to intense national pride, the nations of these two groups have chosen to call them different.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I don't think we would go back to more than 1 language. The reason we have so many now is just a reminence before globilazation, where people had there own areas and had verry little contact with other civilasations. Once we go to a 1 world languge there is no going back (unless we lost globilazation)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777

I guess, you are right, but at the same time, people from other language who use English for commerce, by necessity or to browse the Internet, also try to keep their mother tongue (I know, since my mother tongue is French (Quebec) and to maintain a vibrant French speaking Quebec in a sea of anglophone is a constant struggle).

For instance, despite the fact that I'm fully bilingual (French-English), I prefer to see American or English movies translated in French. Most of the software I used at home are French version (at work, I prefer the English version, so to have the latest version, but my employer (an American company with a Canadian counterpart) give us the choice).

Now, if China eventually replace the USA as the dominant business power, maybe English as "unofficial World Language" might be threaten.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777

If technology was capable of providing instant and very accurate translation from different medias, like you talk to someone who speak French over the phone, but what you hear is perfect English, and you keep speaking English and that person will receive that in French.

So, if technology was capable of perfect, instantaneous translation (from various languages to any language), in written form, audio, etc.

Do you think, people will bother learning another language if technology allow you to remain in your language bubble and still communicate?

top topics

join