It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah's Witnesses?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
These room of the side, I could hear children getting spanked for getting a scripture wrong.

This Kingdom Hall was in Zion, Illinois

Uh-huh. I haven't been involved in decades but those rooms are for parents to take their children so that they can still listen to the service while the kids don't disrupt it. You know how hard it is for kids to sit still for a couple of hours? It's for the benefit of all. "Spank their kids for getting a scripture wrong"? Pfft. Propagandize much?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Those side rooms are usually mostly glass so you can see in as much as see out. I found Witnesses to be very good parents, paient and understanding. The trouble with kids comes along when those kids are old enogh to make up their own minds, but even then they are still considered members with the same caring as if they were still active Witnesses.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I am sorry if that is what you think. Was it a Jehova Church you are speaking of?

And sorry, the kids were screaming, "Mommy, please don't hit me" when I was there.

It also didn't help to see a parent walk out of the room with a belt in their hand.

I can only say what I saw, and it you disagree, then we can disagree on that.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I wish all religions acted the way the Witnesses do.Sure they knock on your door every once in a while, but are they on T.V. telling us were going to hell (oh and by the way, please send money)? Are they sending out messages stating they're gonna chop people heads off for not believing the same as they do?

No, all they do when you say your not interested is politely say "thank you" maybe hand you some literature that your more than welcome to just throw away, and leave. They aren't asking for anything more than an ear to listen to them.

Personally , although I don't subscribe to their beliefs, I have many Witness friends and wish that my other friends were more like them.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Glass rooms are not in the Zion assembly I attended in Zion, Illinois.

While that might have been changed, since this was decades ago, it was not open to public view by the congregation.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rackham

I always read there stuff. Invite them in and offer them a soda.

I find them intriguing, the belief that only 144,000 will make it to heaven.

Sometimes they sweat......Billions of people on earth. They actually sweat, thinking they might be chosen/

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

I am going to have to not believe your eyes on seeing a belt. There is no way any parent Witness or not would do something like that in full view of a room full of people. I get the impression you are building as you go here.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Oh, and also, these kids were picked to stand up and recite gospel. It wasn't as if they were just sitting there for a couple of hours.

It was planned out well, and if the child f**** up, there was hell to pay for embarrasing the parents.

Maybe it was just me, but I saw it frequently.

I mean small children, 5 or 6 were called upon to quote scipture.

Dang.......let 'em be kids for a while!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yes, it's called the Theocratic Ministry School, or at least it was(all ages). Teaches public speaking. People are graded on various topics, like "Repetition for Emphasis." Best tool I've ever had when it comes to public speaking. That's one thing I'll always be grateful for. Speaking in front of people isn't easy, for most it has to be learned.

People aren't forced to participate, they do if they want. And they aren't spanked.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Very interesting perspective. I know a lot of them. They are good people in my point of view. I don't see how they can be described as a cult. There really good willed people. I attended a Meeting and everyone was so nice there, they are also very organized.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

No offense but, I find that hard to believe. As far as I know, the one that I have attended would probably never even think of doing something like this. My guess.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
I find them intriguing, the belief that only 144,000 will make it to heaven.

Sometimes they sweat......Billions of people on earth. They actually sweat, thinking they might be chosen/

Where are you getting this from man? 99.9% of the Witnesses have NO desire to be of the "anointed". They believe they will be on a paradise on Earth and they're cool with that.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

All children are encouraged to participate but they are not forced. The first time I spoke publicly I was nervous and would loose my train of thought. But at the end of the meeting I had many adults surrounding me telling me how well I had done. I overcame my fears in that loving environment.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Exactly, what I mean. There good people, and only trying to do what they think is right. But there could be hidden things going on.

BlackProjects,
Thats really interesting. Are you sure this happened? Because, if they were a cult, then why would the woman stay with her husband in this cult.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Relentless

I know what you mean. But for them its like if they don't knock on your door, your life will be lost.

Can you give us a link to this thread you speak of.

Witness2008,
I can really relate to you. There a great bunch of people, but I feel like I just don't cling to their beliefs. But if I was going to be a religious person. It'd be them!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MissValentine

Have you ever tried making some time and sitting down with them to talk. You can tell them when to come, they'll probably return at any time you ask. Even weeks from then.

intrepid,
I feel like they aren't that different from any other religion. Except for the fact that they do field work. I don't see why people just give this religion, or any other a try.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
simply put if you dont want them at your door hook a really big dog outside the door they never come back again. We use to have about 3 visits a day and even hubby was getting ticked when one bitched because he was drinking a beer. My hubby only drinks about 3 times a year and its one or 2 beers max. But they kept at him and at him, they even shoved there way into my home without our permission. At which point I told them I was calling the cops.

But my dog keeps them out of the yard now. They wont stop here again. They did once and they found out Lobo will kill anyone that comes to my door. They never came back again. But one of them got bit on the butt.

Hilda

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

AshleyD And Relentless,
From their point of view, there just trying to save you. To then, its like your clinging off a mountain and their trying to save you, by giving you information.
I can see how they can get annoying. Have you ever tried talking to them and telling them your not interested? I'm sure they'll stop. Right?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Trams

I think the cult rubbish is born out of the blood issue. They seek medical attention when needed but refuse transfussions. Blood substitutes were first used on Witnesses, I think their beliefs have advanced medical science. I can think of no other reason to refer to Witnesses as a cult.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Witness2008]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
|---ARGUMENTS OR BASHING??---|

It would be nice to see an actual-valid-legitimate conspiracy-criticism of the religion-doctrine in this thread instead of a sea of comments consisting of nothing less than "JW's are teh sUxOr because they evangelize." Does this thread have a point or is it just to criticize a bunch of people as a whole??

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join