It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient "animated" bowl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Da bowl of movement

The bowl itself as the star

Clever people thos' ancients

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Indeed they were!

That's a really cool find, quite important.

Thanks.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I think it's a misnomer.
If you read more of the article, it says;

Note on the bottom is a recreation of the actual sequence of the goat. It only contains five "frames," and the goat only jumps once, as opposed to the two hops taken nine frames in the animation. So, the animation exaggerates the degree of movement — as well as how one can really consider it "animation" in the first place. Looking at the bowl, unless someone put the hollow bottom on a "point" of some sort and spun it, real animation couldn't come from it at all.

To me, calling it "animation" is a presumption about its function and usage in society, which there has yet to be expressed evidence for. Creating a false animation from the pieces of it – which doesn't accurately reflect the original – simply misrepresents the discovery. In my opinion, this is irresponsible scholarship (or potentially journalism, depending on "who made the call" for terminology).

In searching for a modern comparison, would it be so hard for research to just have called it a "comic" (or "fumetti," given that the archeologists were Italian), or would that have been too demeaning for them? From my visual language perspective, the original turns out to be quite interesting. Another good ancient example of VL grammatical structures, just as I suspected.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Okay, we'll call it "kinda-of-an-animation".

For some reason I keep seeing and ancient person spinning this on a potters wheels and being amazed.

Or in the more dimmer sections of town, setting it on a post and running around it - real fast.

[edit on 16/4/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It's still pretty high-tech. Iraq and Iran seem to be filled with Interesting things!
I DO wonder how it was used.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
"spinning" on a finger perhaps (kidding) probably just an idea that occurred to a innovative artist.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Wow! That is really cool!

It isn't so much whether or not it was actually used AS an animation, by somehow spinning it, IMO; but more about the idea of progressive motion depicted in a progressing fashion.

It is very clever, I think.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Yep an unknown artistic genius - or a child probably figured it out.

Either that or its a fake.

[edit on 16/4/08 by Hanslune]

new topics

top topics

join