It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Costs Rising Fastest in 17 Years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Food Costs Rising Fastest in 17 Years

biz.yahoo.com

The U.S. is wrestling with the worst food inflation in 17 years, and analysts expect new data due on Wednesday to show it's getting worse. That's putting the squeeze on poor families and forcing bakeries, bagel shops and delis to explain price increases to their customers.

U.S. food prices rose 4 percent in 2007, compared with an average 2.5 percent annual rise for the last 15 years, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. And the agency says 2008 could be worse, with a rise of as much as 4.5 percent.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Anyone still think the food crisis is relegated to "other" countries?

Think again.

This is becoming more serious by the day. The sky-rocketing costs of EVERYTHING are now fastly outpacing peoples earnings on a wide scale. Food and SURVIVAL are now becoming a struggle for the poor and middle classes.

Meanwhile the Fed is bailing out the billionaire bankers and printing up more worthless dollars, adding to this disastrous escalation of inflation...

Not good...

Higher prices for food and energy are again expected to play a leading role in pushing the government's consumer price index higher for March.

Analysts are forecasting that Wednesday's Department of Labor report will show the Consumer Price Index rose at a 4 percent annual rate in the first three months of the year, up from last year's overall rise of 2.8 percent.

For the U.S. poor, any increase in food costs sets up an either-or equation: Give something up to pay for food.

"I was talking to people who make $9 an hour, talking about how they might save $5 a week," said Kathleen DiChiara, president and CEO of the Community FoodBank of New Jersey. "They really felt they couldn't. That was before. Now, they have to."

biz.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
SO with my may welfare check the government is giving us...

I think food will be in order.. 600 bucks worth of food...

Good thing we can buy cool things with it... Like food... really..

We said this when they announced that new tax rebate... we will end up using it on food and gas or other necessities.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
A lot of people will not be able to spend their tax rebate on food because they will be giving their rebate right back to the government to pay some of their income tax due on their unemployment benefits. And a lot of people who don't really need that rebate will be getting a check as well. It seems to me that it would've been more helpful to extend unemployment benefits, if they really wanted to help the people that needed it most.

In the end, it all comes down to jobs. Or rather, the lack of them.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Another article of relevance to the situation...Looks like things are only going to get worse according to this article...

Wholesale Prices Soared in March

The Labor Department reported Tuesday that wholesale prices rose by 1.1 percent last month, the largest increase since a 2.6 percent rise last November. The November gain in the Producer Price Index was the biggest one-month jump in 33 years.

Analysts had expected a much more moderate 0.4 percent rise in wholesale prices for the month. However, food costs, which had fallen by 0.5 percent in February, leapt by 1.2 percent last month, propelled upward by big gains in vegetables and beef and the biggest increase in rice prices in more than five years. Those were far higher increases in food prices than expected.

Full Story:
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The price of food goes up while the nutritional value plummets.

"Let them eat cake!"

This is profiteering at its best. Not to mention that it is ultimately part of the plan to depopulate the human race.

Interesting that this is happening just in time for this...

Codex Alimentarius (Mandate That Will Starve 3 Billion People to be In Place by 12/31/09)

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well, seems only a few of us concerned about the food here.

rense.com...
In military history it's well known that if you control the food supply, you control the people. Few people know that a secure area inside Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, AR has a sign declaring that secured area belongs to Homeland Security. Wal-Mart will become the food distributor for America under a rationing program. There is no other larger food store chain that can provide the required logistics that store can. In the 1990's, the military quietly did walk-throughs of all the major food store chains around the country taking notes. Somewhere there is a document detailing what the plans are. Certainly at the very least, it will entail securing ALL the grocery stores of any size. Small corner grocery stores will be cleaned out in a day or two, and would be of no interest to the military.

That is just a paragraph from this article "Bush Replaced REX84 With
New Martial Law EO" linked above. It's just a matter of time...

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
We are two people- i went with $100.00 and got nothing!!!! This is all going to have a very sad ending.

:shk:

I dont qualify for food stamps because my husband works. Maybe i should LIE- hell why not.

I'm afraid lying will be the thing to do to survive.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Maybe that explains why Wal-Mart has like a few hundred cash registers but they're never all open, even during the holidays.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

After my father left when I was in my teens, my mother got $32 a month in food stamps for a family of three.

I am currently homeless right now for the second time in my life, but you'll never catch me standing on that county line again. You'll see me in prison before I try to get help from Social Services again.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Those with some land, would do well to start a strategy for what to plant, to offset prices at the market.

And an astute observer said, food will be more valuable than gold, because if you have gold and no food, what good did all that gold do you?

Those who doubt, til they notice that the shelves are getting lean, will freak out.

I think it is time to stock up on some storage items and beat the rush.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

At the very least start storing seeds before Monsanto dominates and you can only get their GM self-destruct seeds.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

That's true about land owners. And the same thing about food happens around the globe. I have the luck to have a small land right next to my house in the village that i live (not usa). So i plant almost everything that a house needs. I'm also in thoughts of gettings rabbits for meat ( i already have chickens). Don't think that the years that our fothers used the ground for food and exchanged the goods for some other work (not money) is far away from today. We will use tomatos to get potatos instead of a currency. Because all the currency will be so cheap to get anythink yet so expencive to have it. The problem will be bigger for those that live in big cities. They must have food in the groceries or the huge markets that will survive. Altough i can not predict the future, somethink tells me that it will not be good at all.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Its getting very expensive. To a point where its cheaper to eat at McDonalds.

No secret here, my family is on food stamps.

Heres the break down.

Mom makes under 15K a year (disablity). Has a car payment, insurance, rent, renters insurance, water, electricity and that doesn't include the typical stuff like gas etc...

Now my sisters a minor she she cant do much.

I am 20, and have been in the market for a job (even crappy ones like walmart) for over 6 months with no luck. My lack of experience at my age makes and already competitive job market even more hard. So currently I cant contribute which makes me feel like crap. Therefore my mother pays my insurance bill and I usually find ways to pay my gas.

Now what im getting at is this, I was set to ship out for the military and at the time my sister and mom were getting food stamps alone. A total of $160 a month. When I didn't leave for the military (thats another story) she added me. The amount went up $3.

Long story short, I sleep on the floor of a very tiny 2 bedroom apartment. I could pretty much be considered homeless if my mom didnt leave me with this small piece of indoor floor to sleep on.

Now the grocery bill alone for a 2 weeks (smart shopping, cheap #ty food) easily tops $120 if were lucky. We used to be able to do it for around $80-90. The markup on everything has led me to believe Ill be homeless pretty soon.

The government wont let me apply for food stamps because I depend on my mother, yet they only give an extra $3 for me (a grown male that cant find employment).

I love my country, I still think shes the greatest, but despite being born here, ive hopped on the American dream bus far to late.

The forecast for me alone is very gloomy at best, and yes its mainly due to the rise in gas and food costs. I would not be amazed if my mom has to downgrade to a 1 bedroom soon and i end up on the streets scrounging for what I can get. The additional stress on my has caused me to drop 2 college classes and fail the 2 I kept (3.8 GPA down the drain).

Something needs to be done soon. There are tens of millions of people in the same position if not worse in the states.

If I fail to find employment soon to afford food, my days here on ATS are numbered.

Now forgive me, for I am drugged (prescription sleeping pills) and cant type well. I hope yall get the point I was trying to make with my post.

sty

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I remember as a teenager - back in my country (Romania) prices would at least double every year. This happened for more than 10 years in a row. One bread used to be like 5 Romanian lei in 1989 but I remember the same product costing over 30,000 in 2001 . Then the Romanian government agreed to cut 4 figures (zeros) on all prices/values as it got harder and harder to count.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I hope the OP doesn't mind my posting this here...

I've seen a lot of threads about rising food (and other items) costs and the expected unrest it could cause so I thought it'd be a good idea to keep a log of some basic product prices as they are in different places around the globe. The idea is for ATS members to fill out a list now and to complete a new list in a month or twos time so that we can see, in real terms, how prices differ around the globe and how they've changed with in our respective nations.

The thread can be found here.

Please help with this project. I reckon we could all benefit because it will give us a real idea (not MSM induced) of price increases.

Regards, Rapacity.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
This sucks. I just hope the BigMac doesn't go up in price too much. I'll starve to death man.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The war on food is here in earnest now, that seems clear. I just ordered the finishing touches to my stored food, and the dealer said that his prices would probably jump 25% in a month or so. I’ve also got a good supply of heirloom seeds, non-hybrid crops that you can grow from seed every year, and I’ve put in a garden to get used to growing for subsistence. My Potato’s are already 18’ and starting to bloom. Just planted the Corn today, and I’m going to try the Indian method of ‘the three sisters’.

en.wikipedia.org...(agriculture)

Time to get busy folks.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Food shortages are already hitting US food banks, so expect prices to rise thru at least 2008.

ABOVE: BILL MOYERS JOURNAL | Hunger in America | PBS April 14, 2008

What are the motivating factors to starve millions?
Global food crisis: Kissinger's 1974 US Food Control Genocide Plan re-visited

As for that happy meal, that's largely made of yellow dent corn which is nutritionally worthless, so in sense many people are already starving. Corn fed beef, corn syrup sweetened soda, fries fried in corn oil, etc,

See the film King Corn:
Independent Lens . KING CORN | PBS

Film 'King Corn' goes to roots of food system problems

Now for some infotainment:

Darwinian economics coming to town near you....

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Step 1 - Create a global scare campaign = man-made climate change

Step 2 - Come up with crazy ideas to reverse step 1 (usually taxing people more) and propose a new "Green" Bio Fuel, thus creating an instant demand.

Step 3 - Make said Bio Fuel a mandatory requirement in some countries, thus creating an instant market.

Step 4 - Artificially created demand now needs more supply, thus pushing up the price of the Bio Fuel crops.

Step 5 - Farmers now growing more lucrative Bio Fuel crops instead of food crops.

Does anyone else think this was all just bad planning or, wearing my cynic hat, a carefully orchestrated scheme?

I have yet to see details of long term benefits of the currently proposed 2.5% Bio Fuel additive to petrol. I have seen no long term test results of the impact on engines from this additive - in fact, the Germans have just canceled plans for this 2.5% additive due to over 2Million+ cars in the country being unsuitable and likely to suffer engine damage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join