It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Costs Rising Fastest in 17 Years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

The government itself is setting us up to totally rely on them. I have never been one to seek aid from them either, always worked, and always fended for myself. But i would think about it instead of going hungry.
You have paid taxes and you are ENTITLED. Why should you be homeless and not eat? You're cutting your nose off to spite your face, imo.

Seriously, think about it- Its just a matter of survival now.
Good luck.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Simple facts here.

The percentages posted are really small 4 to 5%????

It should be more like 40 to 50%

Grains have more than double their prices in the past 3 month, even tripled.

Gas to transport grains over $4 a gallon.

Added pressure from Bio fuels grain will go up.

The value of a Dollar is very weak.

Processing energy costs are up.

Inflation is on it's way and it will be double digits.

All the while the Democrats and Republicans give lip service to the 100's of billions of dollars the Oil cartel are making each quarter.

Oil Cartel says: "It's due to the weak dollar" the prices are high. What? then why are they making such a huge profit, if our dollar is so weak?

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Simple facts here.

The percentages posted are really small 4 to 5%????

It should be more like 40 to 50%

[edit on 16-4-2008 by Realtruth]

That was something I meant to address in my OP...They must be "generalizing" with some items here...I know in my area that all dairy and grain related products have risen at the very LEAST 40-50% over the past year or so...So it is easily 10 times what is reported in this article. I don't eat red meat, so I can't say what the prices look like there. But most items I have eaten steadily have risen nearly 50% over the past year or two.

[edit on 16-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Maybe that explains why Wal-Mart has like a few hundred cash registers but they're never all open, even during the holidays.

In martial law.. choas.. economic collapse...

Do you REALLY think people are going to line up at Wal Mart check out lanes when their family is starving?

I would LOVE to see my local Wal Mart employees keep 200,000 people at bay.
Especially when almost half will be armed.

DG had it right.. it would all have just a very sad ending..

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Look forward to a violent and ongoing problem that will tear and destroy most nations on earth within a very short time.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
If you do not get the world with global warming, you certainly get them with food problems.

Do you think because global warming never worked, they may use this now, to show the world that we need to solve this together.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
Look forward to a violent and ongoing problem that will tear and destroy most nations on earth within a very short time.

Here is what is retarded about the entire issue of economic collapse and chaos theory.

The people at the top will still win, because they will profit from selling arms to the idiots fighting each other.

We only need to look back in time and what is transpiring now with war.

Ask yourself the questions. Who is supplying the war efforts? Who pays for it?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Agreed. they are all the same people, and the poorer less educated countries are always the ones who fall into the trap. Sad state of affairs.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Yeah man.. Tell me about it. From working in a large scale kitchen I know that most our stock has gone up so high. We just go to Sam's club to get most our stock. ITs the SAME price as having like American foods, Delta foods inc, bring it on the trucks.
Back when I first started cooking, when you bought food from those INC. you paided a fraction of the cost. But now its the same amount of money to buy it from a store. Sad really.. Becasue all our dinners are near Ten threw twenty bucks for a plate of food!!!
Dinners normally cost us about 3.00$ per plate now. When at one time I could do a good dinner @ kitchen cost about 75. cents to 1$.
ITs almost doubled!!! And I dont see prices getting any better soon!

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
It could depopulation attempt, or it could just be another old scam. For a long time, commodity prices were low, and many family farms went out of business. Now, the prices go back up, and the corporations can take their profits. They can profit until other people start competing with them, and then drive the price back down, drive them out of business while they move on to the next scam.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Do you REALLY think people are going to line up at Wal Mart check out lanes when their family is starving?

Depends on how it all goes down really. My grandmother had to take wheel-barrows full of Marks just to get bread before Hitler came to power.

I was thinking more aloong the lines of a government-santioned monopoly really. Martial-law gets declared, and in their is a clause that makes Wal-Mart the only legal retailer.

For some reason the "reply" key wasn't working when I posted, but my statement/question was actually in response to this post by RabbitChaser

[edit on 4/17/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Even though my grocery bill is up on almost all expenditures I don't think we've seen it hit the meat prices hard as of yet. Here is the reason, it seems that producers ( can't call them a farmer if they work for ADM or any of the other agribusinesses) are taking stock to slaughter early because it costs so much to feed them. Once excess stock is worn off the price of beef will rise like other commodities. This is going on with pork and chicken as well. The name escapes me but one of the major poultry producers just culled a huge amount of chickens due to feed price. This chickens can be replaced almost as quickly as they are culled. Pork takes a bit longer but production can be ramped up pretty quickly. Beef will take the longest to replenish after this soft commodities bubble pops.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I don't know why the news is not reporting this every day! Our local Kroger is up almost 50% on their meats and cheeses today, less on some items but overall it is all getting to be more than we can possibly pay for a week's worth at time ( my grocery buying habit) I am cutting back more and more, but I don't know how to keep stretching my food dollar much more than we are already doing!

sty

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Sorry to hear that.. Just wondering: if you have some land around your house (suburbia) maybe this time of the spring is the best to start some agriculture.. it helps ! Potato are quite easy to cultivate and they are productive enough . I started to cultivate mushrooms , they require a smaller space - and a standard garage would do it (do not have a car in the garage )

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So many food threads and so little to eat... figured I'd throw up this here

Global food crisis looms as Asia's rice bowl empties and world price soars

THE crisis over rice showed no signs of easing yesterday as the price of the world's benchmark jumped 10 per cent in just one week, fanning fears that millions across Asia will struggle to afford their staple food.
"There's been a popular misconception that the world can produce as much food as it likes. Well, it obviously can't. And Asia can't feed itself at the moment," Gerry Lawson, the chairman of Sunrice, a major Australian rice producer, said.
Increased food demand from rapidly developing countries, such as China and India, the use of biofuels, high oil prices, global stocks at 25-year lows and market speculation are all blamed for pushing prices of staples such as rice to record highs around the globe.
Soldiers guard sales of subsidised rice by the state National Food Authority, and the government has filed charges against 13 people suspected of hoarding.

The global turmoil is such that the US secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, yesterday said the United States hopes to announce fresh steps to alleviate food shortages around the globe. "The rapid rise in global food prices is an urgent concern," she said.

Up 10% in a week... no one exporting... there is nowhere for this whole global food crisis to go, but downhill... and the steeper the hill... at least that'll be less time we all have to suffer.

[edit on 4/19/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Something else just dawned on me, after reading through this thread.

Wouldn't an unsound economy, with high fuel and food prices encourage those who needed quick gainful employment to sign up for the military?

Is this an unspoken form of draft?

Think about someone who may be on the fence about joining the military.
School? Army? School? Army? hmmm..
Would the state of the economy tip the scales in favor of joining the ranks?

Am I reaching here?

BTW a dozen eggs is averaging 4 dollars around here now.
months ago the price was about 1.10.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

This is why my brother joined the Army years ago, because we were poor. I joined the Navy, but washed out at MEPS because of bad legs. Now I'm homeless.

EDIT to add: I haven't had a regular job since last Summer.

[edit on 4/19/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
How are you doing jackinthebox?

What is the overall job situation in your area?
Are you able to get any type of assistance?

How do you eat? especially in this inflationary economy..

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It's going to be fun when gas gets up to 20 dollars a gallon and oil is like 6 times the price it is now. What will happen then? How many people will die? It's coming pretty fast. I'm convinced that our U.S. government won't do anything until gas hits 20-30 dollars a gallon anyway. Nothing can compete with big oil enough to lower the demand. What we need is a new economic policy that allows fair competition in the world market for companies wanting to compete with big oil. We also need to actually be able to pump something other than oil in our engines (which largely hasn't happened yet in the U.S.). Will it ever happen?

Everyone talks about alternative energy and alternatives to gasoline and you see commercials about it all the time on TV. The problem is that so little action has been taken that a vast majority of americans don't have any choice but to use gas instead of something else. People will continue to struggle and the price of oil will continue to rise until people start dying and the government realizes it should have done something sooner. The price of oil rises prices across the board. Big oil is both a blessing (because of our demand) and a curse (because high oil prices increase the price of everything else in the market).

The food crisis that is beginning now is only going to get worse. It is largely caused by these 2 factors that I know of:
1- High oil prices globally
2- Global ethanol production depleting the corn stockpile around the world?

That's what they said on bill maher lastnight anyway.

-ChriS

[edit on 20-4-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

How are you doing jackinthebox?

Eh, survivin'.

What is the overall job situation in your area?

Official unemployments rates are continuing to rise, but of course those numbers don't include the people who fall off the rolls after six months without finding a new job. I think it's about six percent right now, but I remember seeing the headline that it had risen more than one-percent in just a few months.

There is also a severe lack of any meaningful employment too. Jobs with benefits or that pay more than minimum wage I mean. Most places won't even hre full-timers anymore.

Are you able to get any type of assistance?

Possibly, but I think I'll risk going to prison before I bother to try to get any welfare assistance after what they did to my mother when I was a kid. After my father left we fell on hard times for a few years, but all she got in the way of help was $37 a month in food stamps for the three of us, and they're still sending her a bill for it.

How do you eat?

I try to visit people at dinner time, and I get stuff from food pantrys.

EDIT to add: But the places that give out food are running out. One place will only give you one bag of groceries every three months now. You have know where they all are, and go to every one of them. Thank god I still have a car for the time-being.

[edit on 4/21/0808 by jackinthebox]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join