It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't the search function working?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Turn off Adblock Plus to search here

This thread made me immediately think of the linked one. Not saying you two are using adblock, however, any script block is going to cause problems. Like OP found out, check your security settings like SO mentioned.

[edit on 9/4/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

Does the ad blocker ad on come with Firefox or is it downloaded separately because i don't recall ever downloading it.
i hope i don't get in trouble for this but i don't seem to see much advertising so maybe something is blocking them

Maybe someone could post a screen shot of the types of adverts that pop up

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by fLANKED

It is downloaded separately. Go to Tools-->Add-ons-->Extensions. If you do not see Adblock listed, then that is not your problem.

The ads are normally down the right hand side of the site, most of the time there is one just below the ATS "Toolbar", however, at the moment i do not seem to have an ad there.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

All good i found the ads and i dont have ad block am really amazed at the amount of ads which is barely any thanks ATS

Guess ill just keep blaming my work.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

The ATS search works fine here (w/Firefox). I guess the problem I had earlier with the ATS search, might have been some firewall setting (not in my control) at my other location...

I do have the "Adblock" plugin for Firefox installed. However, I have whitelisted all of the abovenetwork domains (abovetopsecret.com, belowtopsecret.com, etc.). I can check the status of the Adblock icon to see whether the page I'm visiting has been whitelisted or not. If it hasn't been whitelisted, I'll rightclick the Adblock icon and click "whitelist this whole site"...

I have the "NoScript" plugin installed as well. Again, I've allowed all scripts on all the different abovenetwork domains. The NoScript icon indicates whether all scripts on a current page are allowed or not. By rightclicking the NoScript icon, I can easily allow the different scripts detected on the page. When the icon is a clean "S" (with no red on it), it means that all scripts on that page is allowed.

I want full functionality on all abovenetwork domains. And I don't want to turn off the ads that keeps ATS alive...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

I was unaware that whitelisting the domains of the website meant you could view its ads. I thought you had to whitelist the ad provider since that is where the information is coming from.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Nope. No need to whitelist anything but the Abovenetwork domains (unless you want to). I can see ads just fine on ATS.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Thanks for this info because i tried doing that and didn't know what to input so I just disabled Adblock plus.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by Merlinhoot]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
maybe someone here can help with this problem?

www.abovetopsecret.com... e=1#pid4214047

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Please stay on topic.

I had disabled the Adblock Plus icon showing in my browser and added it back.
I disabled this site and the icon now is green instead of red.
I didn't come across the term "whitelist" though.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Merlinhoot

"Adblock" and "Adblock Plus" are two different plugins.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Adblocking is against the T&C, section 4b.

----

Alternative method to search in case it happens again and it's not the script blocker's fault:

"keyword" site:abovetopsecret.com

Type that in Google, replace keyword with whatever. You can use the [site:] tag with any other websites you want.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I've got Adblock Plus and it's set to allow all ads only on the Above Network sites, per the TACs.

My problems last night stemmed from the recent addition of NoScript, and getting the settings dialed in; the icons on the individual settings were counterintuitive, at least for me.

Now that I understand their system better, and thanks to my experience with the search function here, I'm a happy camper.

Sorry I had to drag ya'll into my confusion.

As a form of partial compensation, allow me to point out the following:

Firefox + NoScript add-on = The safest ride on the info superhighway.

Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3
Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0.2 -- this is to block those annoying floating ads.
Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.1.3 -- maintains a list of ad filters so you don't have to.

Be sure you disable the adblocking on our beloved Above Network sites to stay within the TACs.

Happy surfing!

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Thanks Beach!

Yeah that worked for me, until I figured out the problem.

And thanks for the tips in my previous post, I owe it all to the happy seal!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join