It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck and Cover: It's The New Survivalism: New York Times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Duck and Cover: It's The New Survivalism: New York Times

www.nytimes.com

Survivalism, it seems, is not just for survivalists anymore.

Faced with a confluence of diverse threats — a tanking economy, a housing crisis, looming environmental disasters, and a sharp spike in oil prices — people who do not consider themselves extremists are starting to discuss doomsday measures once associated with the social fringes.

They stockpile or grow food in case of a supply breakdown, or buy precious metals in case of economic collapse. Some try to take their houses off the electricity grid, or plan safe houses far away. The point is not to drop out of society, but to be prepared in case the future turns out like something out of “An Inconvenient Truth,” if not “Mad Max.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well, it turns out all us "conspiracy nuts" might not be so alone in our thinking after all...Looks like a lot more folks are starting to see the writing on the wall of the proverbial sh** hitting the fan soon...Nice to see a mainstream publication actually giving things like this coverage.

People need to be ready, we are in for a long haul of hardship with the way things are going and are headed to...

“I’m not a gun-nut, camo-wearing skinhead. I don’t even hunt or fish,” said Bill Marcom, 53, a construction executive in Dallas.

Still, motivated by a belief that the credit crunch and a bursting housing bubble might spark widespread economic chaos — “the Greater Depression,” as he put it — Mr. Marcom began to take measures to prepare for the unknown over the last few years: buying old silver coins to use as currency; buying G.P.S. units, a satellite telephone and a hydroponic kit; and building a simple cabin in a remote West Texas desert.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
looking at the history of the new york times and also weighing in the factor of corporate media consolidation, one could wonder if this is actually a message in disguise as a different message. Perhaps a discreet heads up from the author to the middle class american?
I just got back from the grocery store...one of the cheapest in the area, and the prices are ridiculous. Despite knowing in advance that this was coming, I wanted to believe that it wouldn't or coudnt happen. I wanted to believe I was wrong.

But really there is nothing to fear except fear it self. Even if our economy crashes, the whole world isn't. You can relocate your assets to other countries and get a foothold before the NAU is established and be able to prosper.

Right now is the time to pick what you want to be in life. An Employer or an Employee

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Wow it is interesting....I always thought we here were the few who wanted to stock up....either we are ahead of the game here or really smart or who knows maybe both

You know I just thought of this the government wants us to spend spend spend buy food buy gas buy stuff and yet prices are going up and the government says its because we are buying to much stuff.,.....so survivalists are the bad guys because we arent out blowing money.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
When "IT" crashes, nothing will have crashed.

It's all in our heads.

Do you still have your two hands? Do the buildings and machines which produce the supplies of the things we use still exist?

Does the earth still exist? Does the sun still shine?

Nothing will have changed, except in our minds. Whatever is in our minds can change as soon as we start to think differently.

In our minds, we believe money is needed for our economy. The problem is that in this country, by law, there is only ONE source of money, and everything else is "counterfeit".

Essentially, we have put all our eggs into one basket.

If one part of the ship springs a leak, the whole ship goes down in the sea.

The money they manipulate this economy with is not gold, it is paper. Is there a limit to the supply of paper? No, only a law that says they can use it as such, and WE cannot.

An economy NEEDS options and alternatives. Competition. Monopolies are dangerous, fiat currencies are dangerous, because the situation we see today is what can happen.

Imagine if every dog in nature had the same DNA. If ever a disease evolved which could kill a single dog, all of them would be dead. This is why nature always works toward diversity. It increases the odds of survival against all the threats against it. If something is vulnerable to a threat, other things survive it.

Our money system is a monopoly, and vulnerable because of it. If it collapses, we all collapse. This is an immense power to wield over so many.

This is why we must create alternatives. Commodity currencies, community currencies, pledges of hours, city registries of talents and materials. We can get back on our feet so long as we can get the money men's hands from around our throats...

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ianr5741

This is a great post man. Star for you.

So do you think we should start stock piling precious metals as a different form of currency? I wonder if the dollar and economy completely zero out, if we'll start to see trading and bartering of merchandise like the days before there was a paper currency.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have an idea. Get your training and lock and load. I'd rather go out with condrite on my hand than a throat slitted sheep.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You know, if everyone "stocks up" on food, ammo, supplies, whatever, is there going to be enough for the people who first came up with the idea, who have been living the self reliant survivalist lifestyle for years? There is only so much land in "safe" locations, only so much game on that land, and only so much of it is arable.

If you really do believe in situation x, you had better hope that no more than a few others do as well, or else all your planning will be for naught when you have to spend all your time fighting off executives who read this in the paper rather than surviving! lol

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

I’m not a gun-nut, camo-wearing skinhead. I don’t even hunt or fish,” said Bill Marcom, 53, a construction executive in Dallas.

Still, motivated by a belief that the credit crunch and a bursting housing bubble might spark widespread economic chaos — “the Greater Depression,” as he put it — Mr. Marcom began to take measures to prepare for the unknown over the last few years: buying old silver coins to use as currency; buying G.P.S. units, a satellite telephone and a hydroponic kit; and building a simple cabin in a remote West Texas desert.

It's good that he is making some preps, but I'd say he's still going about it all wrong.. He's still hoping he'll be able to use phones, GPS units, etc. All modern conveniences that will be obsolete when the crunch sets in. He'd be best to buy a couple of firearms and lessons in how to use them, stockpike a few months of food, learn some basic survival skills, learn how to use a regular compass, and invest in heirloom seeds rather than a hydropic garden.

At least he's doing something though, and not burying his head in the sand.

[edit on 4/8/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted this yesterday. It is amazing how people just seem to like your threads better.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
It's just a matter of luck and timing. There's so many posts being made, a lot of good ones like yours get buried on the 2nd and 3rd pages where very few bother to look.

new topics

top topics

join