It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grand Theft Auto stop using New York!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I am sure this has been done to death by now, but how many people are sick and tired of New York? Grand Theft Auto has so far been in New York"Liberty City" Miami"Vice city" And LA"San Andreas"

They had True crime in new york, they had Mafia, which was obviously supposed to be new york. Now we have GTA4, in, New York. New York has been done to death. Why not Vegas, or Boston, or Chicago? those cities are rarely, if ever, touched by game makers. Gimme the Irish gangs in boston, or Chicago(I really really wanna run through my old neighborhood in Chicago with a bat and a flame thrower in a gta game)

Anyone else sick and tired of new york always getting the spotlight in games?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
LIBERTY CITY is like there baby, R* have stated that they wanted to redo Liberty City to do it more Justice.

If you don't like, don't buy...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

That's the thing tho, i love liberty city, i just think it's about time some other major cities get a nod from R*. I will eventually get gta4, cause I always buy the gta games eventually(when prices go down) I just wish they would try different locales, since it seems nearly every video game company has a hard on for New York.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think the main reason for New York is it's size and familiarity. But I'd personally love to see a GTA game set in Chicago, that would be much better. Not only is there a ton of history from the 1920's to work off of, Chicago has so much culture that could easily be made into a truly amazing game. Hell, the Blues Brothers alone would provide countless jokes and references to make a spectacular experience.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You'll have to keep eyes out for L.A. Noir, A 1920's (or around that era) detective game set in L.A. made by Rockstar...

Not Chicago but it does show that they do look at other cities even if it's not for GTA.

I don't really think every city suit's the antics of a GTA game anyway, But if a single city can inspire an entirley different story and game from R* then thats fine by me...

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
GTA5 Cambridge.

Ride around (on your bicycle) the idyllic streets of Cambridge toting your spud gun at any passing Girl Guide or Boy Scout.

"Drop litter on the pavement" never knowing when the cctv will see you and the Anti Litter Brigade give you a £80 on the spot fine, dare you take the chance.......................

"Ride The Bus" Do you have the right change, if your blagging skills are high enough you may get away with a free ride. (Blagging Skills require level 4 or higher).

"King Chav" For this you need to be by the age of 13 a total retard, dependent on cheap cider and weed and wear the chav army uniform, (tracksuit bottoms and top, white trainers and a Burberry cap.............oh and a stupid grin" Manage to attain all the above and you will be the god/JERK of GTA5.

My guess is that is why GTA is played out in New York etc.

Wolfie

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They did a GTA London on the PS1.
That would be cool to see again.
We've already got The Getaway though I guess for that.
A japanese GTA would be cool.
GTA Tokyo or GTA Kyoto or something.
Maybe they will in the future who knows.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Well, the prior incarnations of Liberty City, were not well modeled after NYC.

Rent the game and then tell us whether you feel it is Liberty City, or New Liberty City.

This one will have as much in common as III had with the pre-3D one.

They have already said they will have new cities ... it will be in the form of DLC, comparable to what Vice City and San Andreas was to III.

No, not the exclusive DLC (for each console, actually), but separate DLC, from the gaming boards I have been lurking about. There is an article somewhere, but I didn't save the link.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I would love to see a GTA Toronto. or GTA Detroit with the crime rate these two places have, it would make an interesting series, GTA Toronto would probably focus on the gangs of the Jane and Finch area of Toronto.

GTA Detroit would probably focus on gangs around 8 Mile Road.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
San Andreas did include a San Fransico, and a Las Vegas.... so Las Vegas has been done by GTA.

I think a GTA Rio De Janero would be sweet. Or GTA New Orleans (pre-flood, althought that could be the final mission!)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypr2008
I would love to see a GTA Toronto. or GTA Detroit with the crime rate these two places have, it would make an interesting series, GTA Toronto would probably focus on the gangs of the Jane and Finch area of Toronto.

yeah because torontos gangs are as hard as any american ones i guess shooting teenage girls in public on boxing day makes you a big macho man

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Grand Theft Auto V: Vatican City.

The ultimate theft, and immediate 6-star crime, is jacking the PopeMobile.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Sounds like a good idea to me;

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
NEW YORK CITY............The Greatest metropolis ever built.

I am still amazed at it. There is no other city that epitomizes the urban setting than this great city, where great people live and work.

It is truly the center of the world.

Even though there are so many games exposing the criminal aspect of NY, the fact of the matter is NY is really very safe. Partly because the NYPD spares no thought in pumping anybody even slightly suspicious with lead.

But thats what keeps the city the best place to be.....

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypr2008

I don't think GTA: Toronto would sell very well, it'd bore the pants off everyone

GTA: Montreal wouldn't do too well either, it would be far too heartbreaking to drive around messing up one of the single most beautiful places on Earth.

I'd like to see a GTA: Australia. Using Australian cars and monuments and really having a go at the Aussie culture, sort of like that they did in The Simpsons and South Park. I love the stereo-typical Aussie in American shows like that, they're a crack up.

Also GTA Paris would be awesome simplyn because I want to drive around Paris.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

Bwahahahahaha!!! That's Brilliant! Did you put that together?

Oh man, someone's gotta email that to R*.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I have an idea.

Play real games not ones designed for console kiddies.

Someone had to say it.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Yes stop using New York, use jersey...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
I have an idea.

Play real games not ones designed for console kiddies.

I realize what you said is probably a joke, but my favorite games of all time are Civilization, Sim City, and MOO2, and yet I still own a console. Why? Because I've got real-life friends who occasionally come to visit my house and don't want to sit and have to learn the intricacies of a network or hotseat PC strategy game, or just don't feel like sitting in an office chair for hours on end. Sometimes, my friends and I just like to chill out on the couch, feet up, and wail on each other.

And very, very rarely, a single-player gem like GTA comes out.

I think the days where consoles were simply dismissed as "useless kiddy games" probably went out the window when home video games as a whole became a multi-billion dollar mainstream industry.

Family friendly games like Rock Band get the whole family and friends, even completely non-tech-savvy ones together for a good time, doing something they might always have daydreamed themselves capable of. Wii has managed with games like Bowling and Fishing to get Geezers into gaming in a way that hasn't been seen since Age of Empires (oh yeah, you know that super-1337 dude in AoE who kicks everyone's butt? Betcha dollars to donuts, he's a retiree).

PC games remain my favorite for solo interaction, I won't lie, but consoles are no longer some trendy toy that just the gaming equivalent of script kiddies go use. They are an interactive family entertainment unit that is capable of bringing multiple people into the same game, on the same screen, on the same box. Try doing that with a PC game and see how well it goes over.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
2 guys who have the game early (provide proof) and talk about it

so yes it should be the best game ever, but xbox360 seems to have a horrible blur

you fanboys never learned, blu-ray > HD-DVD

but on the ps3 it's supposed to be amazing

top topics

<<   2 >>

join