It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic torch exthinguished in paris

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Olympic torch extinguished in paris

uk.news.yahoo.com

The Olympic torch has been extinguished by officials in Paris amid protests by anti-China demonstrators.

Reports from the French capital say the flame was snuffed out and the torch put on a bus.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/4/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
holy ****

France really have gone too far - this puts a mockery on the entire Olympics - a protest by the government on this scale is far too much - france should be banned for ever from hosting or taking part.
uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/4/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Has that ever happened before? I can't remember anything like it.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by -Reason-]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I don't know if you should hold the French government responsible. They extinguished it to protect it from the protesters.

This Olympic ceremony is turning into a sham though. I can't imagine what else is in store. Good call on picking China though

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Good on them. I’m glad that it has been done. The Beijing 2008 Games should NOT be allowed to go ahead, the Human Rights issues are disgusting.

But this incident has but my faith back in people (although I have never lost faith in the French).

Ah, why I love France, a country that still actually has balls! (something rare to find these days). Gotta love the French!

Mikey

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by -Reason-
Has that ever happened before? I can't remember anything like it.

[edit on 7-4-2008 by -Reason-]

That is because the torch parades are a relatively new thing, heavily exploited by China to get some useful PR this time around.

Didn't really go to plan!

Edit: To clarify - the processions did used to take place, but they used to take a direct route from Greece to the hosts. Now they Zig-zag all over the place to drum up ad revenues etc etc.

[edit on 7/4/08 by Smokersroom]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

They just extinguished it a 2nd time. This is crazy.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Seriously all this about some silly torch haha. Aliens must think were crazy.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
wow I don't think the torch has ever gone out in the history of the Olympic Games.

I also just read in Australia, organisers are planning to shorten the route of the torch.

hmmm this is going to get very interesting

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

sorry but this torch is important. Even during war periods on Earth, countries respected what the Olympics meant. To my knowledge the Olympic flame burns continuously.

it really means something if the torch has gone out.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

sorry but this torch is important. Even during war periods on Earth, countries respected what the Olympics meant. To my knowledge the Olympic flame burns continuously.

it really means something if the torch has gone out.

Maybe so.

But in the end it's still just a torch. Why go all crazy about it and try to put it out etc. Why all this trouble?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This is of historical significance - the torch has never been knowingly extinghuished before

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
In my opinion,The Olympics should never be used as a political statement arena.Yes China has a terrible human rights record,however leave the Olympics out of it.I have never liked it being used to make statements by anyone.Yet another black mark on something that is suppose to bring us together.Our society in the world as a whole is breaking down in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It also states in the article that similar scenes were played out in the streets of London, where are our Local Forum Members? Where are the first hand pictures and video clips?
Amazing, it makes me once again think of John Titor and his predictions of the 2008 Olympics not taking place.

Free Tibet! Ban the 2008 Olympics!

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

My understanding of the Olympics is that it was designed to show national superiority on a global scale. So, it seems to be a very political event. Contestants are more of a pawn than an athlete.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
sodom

so, the torch is out, the end is near???

an predictions about a torch and the end?

sodom

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
It also states in the article that similar scenes were played out in the streets of London, where are our Local Forum Members? Where are the first hand pictures and video clips?
Amazing, it makes me once again think of John Titor and his predictions of the 2008 Olympics not taking place.

Free Tibet! Ban the 2008 Olympics!

Did he really say that?

This john titor keeps popping up lol. Even thou I thought he was debunked. Odd how accurate he can still be. That is ofcourse if the olymics do stop.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Just a quick point, the olympic flame has been extinguished before:

When the Olympic flame came to the Panathinaiko Stadium, stadium of the 2004 Summer Olympics, to start the global torch relay, the night was very windy and the torch, lit by the Athens 2004 Organizing Committee Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki, blew out due to the wind, but was re-lit from the back up flame taken from the original ceremonial flame at Olympia. This was the second time that the Olympic torch flame was put out.

The first occurred at the 1976 Summer Olympics held in Montreal, Canada. After a rainstorm that doused the Olympic flame a few days after the games had opened, an official relit the flame using his cigarette lighter. Organizers quickly doused it again and relit it using a backup of the original flame.

Taken from Wikipedia: Wikipedia

Personally though I feel that this 2008 Olympics are a shambles. Just my personal view.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by boyznblue999
Just a quick point, the olympic flame has been extinguished before:

When the Olympic flame came to the Panathinaiko Stadium, stadium of the 2004 Summer Olympics, to start the global torch relay, the night was very windy and the torch, lit by the Athens 2004 Organizing Committee Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki, blew out due to the wind, but was re-lit from the back up flame taken from the original ceremonial flame at Olympia. This was the second time that the Olympic torch flame was put out.

The first occurred at the 1976 Summer Olympics held in Montreal, Canada. After a rainstorm that doused the Olympic flame a few days after the games had opened, an official relit the flame using his cigarette lighter. Organizers quickly doused it again and relit it using a backup of the original flame.

Taken from Wikipedia: Wikipedia

Personally though I feel that this 2008 Olympics are a shambles. Just my personal view.

So I guess it's safe to say this was the first time the torch was purposely extinguished because mobs of people were attacking the torchbearer.

The second time the torch had to be put out the torchbearer was in a wheel chair.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

I have to agree with you Mikey. At least the French still care enough about freedom, even other country's freedom. I don't think the Olympics should be boycotted, it's the one non-political thing that the world participates in.
Gotta love the French - viva la France!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join