It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diplomats: Iran assembling centrifuges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Diplomats: Iran assembling centrifuges

news.yahoo.com

VIENNA, Austria - Iran has assembled hundreds of advanced machines reflecting a possible intention to speed up uranium enrichment, diplomats have told The Associated Press.

ADVERTISEMENT

One diplomat said more than 300 of the centrifuges have been linked up in two separate units in Iran's underground enrichment plant and a third was being assembled. He said the machines apparently are more advanced than the thousands already running underground, suggesting they could be the sophisticated IR-2 centrifuge that Tehran recently acknowledged testing
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
These guys truely must have a death wish.. Cheney visit to middle east warns Saudis to be ready in case of nuclear fallout, Russia's mentioning US plan to nuke Iran, this is just more drum beats that an attack is coming.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Old News mate, theyve got nearly 3000 centrifuges already.

Its just a question of whether they refine the grade high enough for weapons or not.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Centrifuges themselves aren't proof of anything.

The same centrifuges used to produce weapons-grade fissionables are also required to produce nuclear reactor fuel, which is Iran's avowed goal.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Centrifuges themselves aren't proof of anything.

The same centrifuges used to produce weapons-grade fissionables are also required to produce nuclear reactor fuel, which is Iran's avowed goal.
Yeah, but it sounds sufficiently scary to those who don't know any better!

Remember all the ruckus over the yellow cake in Iraq during the start of the war.

[edit on 4/3/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Claptrap xmotex. Try talking about something where you know what you're talking about.

Iran has reactors which only need fuel enriched to about 2% U235.

IAEA inspectors in 2006 recovered Uranium from an Iranian centrifuge enriched to 70% U235.

IAEA inspectors also recovered 600g of Plutonium separated by Iran from undeclared spent fuel at the Heavy Water research reactor at Tehran.

China has exported about 5 tons of tributylphosphate to Iran for precipitating Plutonium from Uranium.

Tell me xmotex, what peaceful use has Plutonium got ?

Why does Iran need to enrich so much uranium ?

Why does Iran refuse offers of already 2% enriched Uranium from Europe ?

Why xmotex does Iran need to enrich Uranium to 70% U235 ?

You haven't a clue what you're talking about.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If it's on yahoonews, then you know we are all going to die.

Expect war next week.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Claptrap xmotex. Try talking about something where you know what you're talking about.

Iran has reactors which only need fuel enriched to about 2% U235.

IAEA inspectors in 2006 recovered Uranium from an Iranian centrifuge enriched to 70% U235.

You're talking about residual levels of uranium that were recovered from black market equipment that was purchased from Pakistan. Iran has already cleared this with the IAEA and they have accepted that reasoning as valid. The issue in that regard is now closed.

IAEA inspectors also recovered 600g of Plutonium separated by Iran from undeclared spent fuel at the Heavy Water research reactor at Tehran.

China has exported about 5 tons of tributylphosphate to Iran for precipitating Plutonium from Uranium.

link?

Why does Iran need to enrich so much uranium ?

To be indendent. That's why!

Russia, the US and Europe have all betrayed and attempted to sabotage Iran at one point. Why should Iran trust them?

Why does Iran refuse offers of already 2% enriched Uranium from Europe ?

Because Europe cannot be trusted. What happens if Europe decides not to supply the uranium: they can hold Iran to ransom at their own will. What happens if the US pressures Europe not to supply when they get pissed off?

Irans political climate is determined by a need to be independent and self-sufficient. Why should they rely on Russia, Europe and America when at various times in their history that have either annexxed territory, abandoned signed contracts or supplied weapons of mass destruction to their enemies to be used on Iranian civilians.

Why xmotex does Iran need to enrich Uranium to 70% U235 ?

You don't either.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Euroche]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

As evidenced by the post above, you shouldn't talk

Iran has been saying for years they want to produce their own nuclear fuel, not buy it from someone else. In order to do that, you need centrifuges.

The "weapons grade uranium traces" thing was debunked a while back, as Euroche points out.

Funny thing about the centrifuges coming from Pakistan.

Do you know who funded Pakistan's nuclear weapons program?
Our "buddies" in Saudi Arabia.

I wonder what they got for their investment?

Maybe something to put to put on top of those Ghauri IRBM's in all those silos near Al-Sulaiyil...

There is a nation in the Gulf with a radical Islamic government that in all likelihood already has nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles... and it's not Iran.

[edit on 4/4/08 by xmotex]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

sy, you seem like a really level-headed guy, and for the most part I agree 100% with your posts, but on this topic I beg to differ with you, if not on the facts, then the general principles.

Nobody has proven that Iran is trying to make weapons grade Uranium even after numerous inspections. If there was anything to find, I'm sure they would have found it by now. It's kind of like the WMD Iraq was supposed to have before the beginning of the war. They still haven't been found after 5 years of searching and occupation.

If I were in Iran's place, I'd want nuclear capabilities too. It might be the only thing which can prevent Israel and the US from attacking them. They don't want to fight us, they just want to be left alone.

You've surely noticed how the US gives North Korea a wide berth. It's not because of diplomacy, it's because they have a nuclear deterrent. They're a small country like Iran, but we let them alone.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
An update..IRan begging to be destroyed
www.salon.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
What amazes me most about this is that the UN Security Council has already told them that they are in violation of their agreements, and yet nothing is being done about it. Why the heck not?? Isn't the UN able to defend it's own resolutions? If not, then I suggest new leadership is needed.

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
What amazes me most about this is that the UN Security Council has already told them that they are in violation of their agreements, and yet nothing is being done about it. Why the heck not?? Isn't the UN able to defend it's own resolutions? If not, then I suggest new leadership is needed.

TheBorg

That's because they know they are a crock of #.

The UNSC is a joke and its resolutions actually go against the agreements that Iran has actually signed. If you want to know why they don't enforce the resolution it's because some members of the UNSC don't want too. They are only going along with it because of US pressure at the moment.

If the US has a bad recession it will all fall apart. The UN action against Iran is basically the US's bitter campaign against Iran.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
so what's the problem? Iran wants to have nuclear energy. we have it here in the United States. We have tons of nuclear plants here in california. what's the problem?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

The problem is that Iran has, on more than one occasion, threatened to wipe Israel "off of the map". We here in the US, including CA, have never threatened any such action.

Based on this, it should be no wonder why the US and UN have the feelings that they do about this.

My $0.02.

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

should we be shocked or somewhat supprised that someone would mention Iran threatening the Zionest regieme

then again like most members like your self Zionest means Israel and all jews

i mean Israel is just the little saint in all this and never has Threatend any of its neighbours or attacked any

just my 1p

[edit on 10-4-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

I think it's been proven many times that Iran never threatened to "wipe Israel off the map" and anyone that's been on these boards for as long as you have, must have seen the real (verifiable) translation of Ahmadinejad's statement.

The Bush administration has also made many threats of military action against Iran, by a.) invading and occupying their immediate neighbors and effectively surrounding their country. b.) adopting a pre-emptive nuclear strike doctrine. c.) declaring the Iranian Military a "terrorist organization". d.) promoting trade sanctions against their country. e.) blacklisting Iranian financial institutions. f.) continuously threatening warfare by adding the tagline "we refuse to rule out the use of military force" to every demand. g.) endorsing presidential candidates who openly call for warfare by singing "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran..."

And of course, even a veiled threat by the US carries a lot more weight than other countries, because the US has proven it WILL use weapons of mass destruction against it's enemies.

[edit on 4/10/2008 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
It really is baffling how so many people, intelligent people, can't understand why a Nuclear Iran presents a very serious threat to the region and beyond. Why do we choose to ignore Iran's own stated goal to destroy Israel? Why would we believe Israel should allow Iran to gain the means with which to accomplish this goal?

The US action in Iraq has certainly played right into the hands of Iran and groups like AQ, this is true. That does not, however, change the fact that the world cannot allow an extremist regime like that of Iran to have nuclear weapons.

And if the rest of the world feel they can allow then Israel most certainly cannot.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

extremest Regieme?
could you tell me what moral ground you have to say that?
on my why Israel should have Nukes even so its known to have 200+
and the US with a couple thousend and known to use them.

also considering the extremist regieme of Iran hasnt attacked a Nation directly.

so what moral ground do you base your assertion on?

edit:

to add Iran has maintained that they arent after Nukes anyway

[edit on 10-4-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

In your post above you forgot to point out that the US not only used nuclear weapons but did so against civilian targets.

Also that the US and Israel are financing and training other terrorist organisations and opposition groups to the Iranian leadership and encouraging them to carry out attacks within Iran.

As for the rest, spot on

At this point in time, there is only one Middle Eastern state constantly poking it's neighbours in the eye and stirring things up, then crying "victim". They are also not above stealing land and killing unarmed civilians, something the Arabs are berated for endlessly. This state is also in breach of numerous UN resolutions yet it suffers no sanctions or other harsh treatment. In fact, it is now verboten to even criticise this state openly in public as it's "hate speech" and in some places can carry a jail sentence.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join