It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oliver Stone rushes to finish Bush film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Oliver Stone rushes to finish Bush film

film.guardian.co.uk

How different the world might look now if the US president and his advisers had settled on the phrase Axis of Unbearably Odious, or Axis of Hatred. But they rejected that and instead plumped for Axis of Evil, and the rest is history.
So begins the script to Oliver Stone's new movie, W, on the life of George W Bush, which begins filming this month and will be produced at speed. Stone, a director with a keen eye for publicity, is thought to want to get the film into cinemas before the November presidential election, and certainly before Bush quits the White House on January 20.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Can't wait to watch this movie, hopefully it wont get banned from the US. I could imagine Bush trying to stop it on grounds of national security. And Cheney hiding it in his safe.

film.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Bush's early relationship with his father is depicted as problematic at best. When his father confronts him about his drinking after he crashes his car, the younger George Bush replies: "Mr Perfect. Mr War Hero. Mr F**king God Almighty." The father also features heavily in the latter half of the screenplay, by which time Dubya has entered the world of politics.

Stone, a critic of the Iraq war, applies cod psychology to the president's motivations for the invasion, according to ABC's account of the screenplay. After the elder Bush's defeat in 1992 by Bill Clinton, his son tells him he would still be in the White House if he had toppled Saddam Hussein in the first Gulf war.

When the current president is asked in 2002 what his focus on Saddam is all about, he replies, in reference to a Kuwaiti claim that the Iraqi intelligence services plotted to assassinate his father during a visit to Kuwait in the spring of 1993: "You don't go after the Bushes and get to talk about it. Ya got me?"

Sounds like it will be a blockbuster. MIght have a big impact like the movie JFK.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
They're filming where I live(Shreveport,La) and haven't started it yet. Getting it done by Nov will be tough.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hendu

They might have a lot done already with computer animation and cut and past from old television programs. I wouldn't be suprized if theres not of filming on location.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I would expect a lot of "issues" with completing any filming for this movie especially if the goal is to finish it and get it out while Bush is in office. I predict any filming will be met with "permit" problems etc etc.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Well, hopfully legal matters won't delay it. I guess Dubaya himself can't do much to stop it even if he wanted to, but infringement of copyright could. And that's exactly what a small Danish workshop theater sees it as.

In 2005 "Mungo Park", a small theater in North Sealand, Denmark put up a show tittled "W -- the young years." Not only the tittle the copyright holders of the Danish show finds suspecious close, but also the screenplay.

politiken.dk... (in Danish)
*snippet translated by me*

"Not just the tittle, but also the plot seems heavily inspired by the dramatizing by Christian Tafdrup in our play. And we have been in close contact with theater people in Texas about exporting the play," says Martin Lyngbo.

They probably will have to hire an expensive American lawyer to win anything, and this is just a small poor theater. At least I hope Stone will give them credit.

top topics

join