It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What character/behavior traits does the Education System/Mainstream Media/Entertainment Industry hop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Obedience, "herd mentality", the willingness to report your friend/neighbor/parent to the authorities, the adherence to everything "mainstream" and the rejection of everything "alternative".

In other words, what is the "perfect sheeple"?

And what tactics does the System use to achieve them?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Perfect sheeple: (In addition to what you have said, which I agree with)

1)A perfect sheeple is smart enough to follow authorities and work for you, but stupid enough not to challenge anything told by the authorities.
-designing horrible public school systems and hiring crappy teachers
-getting people obsessed about entertainment rather than important issues. For instance, while something like your favourite TV show, sport, or video game is fine, if all your spare time is spent thinking about that stuff, you won't be thinking about how, to paraphrase 1984, there is 'a boot stamping down on your face, forever.'

2) A perfect sheeple owes the powers that be so much money or have such poor employment opportunities, either because of lack of education, opportunity, or inability to get a fair wage, that they will be forced to labour for big corporations just to keep themselves at the subsistence level. A sheeple that is too busy putting food on the table and a roof over their head has no time to worry about anything else, like a slave.
-encourage loans, especially high interest loans or loans for frivolous things, like 'do not pay until 2012 for your stereo', then monthly installments adding up to several times its value, padded with lots of interest.
-set up higher education so that elites have better chances of getting into quality universities than poor people. Ever hear of things like 'legacy programs' at universities? It's how people like GWB can get into Yale over someone who actually has a brain but no influential family or money.

Probably lots more could be said, but that's my two cents for now.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

So the "perfect sheeple" has no higher education, is obsessed with TV, never questions authority, and is piled with debt.

Just a question, are we classified as "sheeple"?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well, probably the most important one, as far as 'they' are concerned, is that the sheeple do not question authority. Now, I think that most of us on ATS strongly question the authority of 'The System', but I think that very, very few of us actually act on it, so probably most of us are pretty good little sheeple. (including myself, unfortunately)

I can hate corrupt government and all that goes with it all I want, but if I just roll over and let them do anything I want, they win.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Wait, entertainment industry/ Most of the movies played these days feature rebels. Generally with a cause, occasionally without a cause, just 'cause. Generally they feature the government as incompetetent, stupid (there is a differnce) or completly evil. Or people working inside the system to make the world a better place. How muc music actually says stay inside the lines for that matter? Rap music definetly doesn't, it's fairly against it, and it's about te most popular from what I understand. And what the heck is it with this sheeple term? I get it, your better than everyone else who follows the rules, no need for name calling, thanks.
Many people do question the system. A lot of it doesn't make sense, especially when taken piecmeil. Thing is most people have other things to concern themselves with. Work, families, getting a education, either for themselves or their children. People do change, or try to change the system. Rallies, petitions, marches, generally local stuff that's not national news.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
How much music actually says stay inside the lines for that matter? Rap music definetly doesn't, it's fairly against it, and it's about te most popular from what I understand. And what the heck is it with this sheeple term? I get it, your better than everyone else who follows the rules, no need for name calling, thanks.

As a musician, I would say that a majority of mainstream music stays in the box. You tune your fm radio to any station and you will most likely hear a song that sounds like so many other songs played before it. Music can be real simple, formulaic if you will. Today a lot of music is being made because of profit in selling music.
There are a ton of people out there making music because its fun and its another way one can express themselves.
Rap music probably teaches listeners, if anything, to stay inside the lines, more than most genres, IMO. ''look at my chain, look at my top notch hoe, look at the benzo, look at the bling, look at material possessions that are only outward symbols of wealth, look look.''

STAY INSIDE THE MATERIAL REALM...

new topics

top topics

join