It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does watching too much TV dumb us down?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Just one thing to add...

I see a few people brought up the flicker rate, and yes, 29.97 FPS does indeed hypnotize the viewer. But as for putting in subliminal images of murder in a children's show, I can say that that's impossible.

I have some experience in making subliminal videos, and I know that if you replace 1 frame in a video with a specific images, the eye DOES pick up on that.

The only way to insert subliminals is through not-very-large text that appears on the top of the screen for 1 frame.

Another way is to flash a picture for NO LONGER THAN 10ms, and televisions do NOT have that capacity.

So, there are a few issues with subliminals.

1. They are not too hard to pick up on

2. With TiVo, you can go frame-by-frame through a suspicious scene.

P.S. I made a subliminal video with the theme: "drink vodka, vodka is cool"

Tried it out, and it ACTUALLY WORKS!

Only...

Airing something like that on TV will PROBABLY not work.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Excellent post Rhino

And truth777, I agree that the television isn't capable of clearly transmitting images by the millisecond. But a 1/24 frame anomaly in a 24fps film really isn't that noticeable. I won't use the FightClub reference because everyone knows that 'they don't know what they saw' is a lie. People know.

But it's still possible to imprint them with sutble imagery and words - especially when frames 'blend' during playback. Again, I know this is easier to catch on digital media because we can tick through the frames... so the idea of catching things on Tivo is valid.

And I admit, the idea of putting murder images in children's t.v. was out there
But a blended image in a single frame is seriously all it would take to subtly warp a childs mind.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
Excellent post Rhino

And truth777, I agree that the television isn't capable of clearly transmitting images by the millisecond. But a 1/24 frame anomaly in a 24fps film really isn't that noticeable. I won't use the FightClub reference because everyone knows that 'they don't know what they saw' is a lie. People know.

But it's still possible to imprint them with sutble imagery and words - especially when frames 'blend' during playback. Again, I know this is easier to catch on digital media because we can tick through the frames... so the idea of catching things on Tivo is valid.

And I admit, the idea of putting murder images in children's t.v. was out there
But a blended image in a single frame is seriously all it would take to subtly warp a childs mind.

Actually, I tried messing with 30 FPS video, and the individual frame anomality actually is VERY noticeable.

There IS a way of making effective subliminals, but I do NOT want to divulge the secret.

Let me say that it will be QUITE obvious that the video is subliminal and will ONLY work upon consent.

It is VERY hard to stick a sub into a regular video; it will just get exposed.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

And one more thing...

Is it legal for me to show my subliminal "drink vodka vodka is cool" video?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Also, I believe warped images do not work as well as a text flash...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
There is not really a need to insert any clandestine images.

The TV itself makes people more suggestible by hypnotizing the viewer, then the MSM news and the suggestions of advertisements are less distinguished from the viewer's own cognitive thoughts. The blend of images creates more confusion, then the scroll at the bottom of the screen clarifies your thoughts by telling you what to think.

"Aren't you hungry?" "Just do it"! "Did somebody say McDonalds?"

Sadaam Hussein has WMDs" "the best way to help America is by continuing to go shopping"

What happened on "Lost" is important to me

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWRHINO
What happened on "Lost" is important to me

But what happened on Lost is important to me.

If anything, the show this season has provided a nice example of what kind of things people with power and money can do and get away with.

That and it's just really cool.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I only watch tv on the weekends, and even then it's a minimal amount. Everyone I know is always relaying what a commercial said, and what a TV show said. Some of my friends get up early and stay up late to watch TV everyday. Television truly has taken over the US society, outside my family (We're computer addicts, with no time for TV)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Working in TV myself, I can say that it is entirely possible to slide one frame of video into a 30 frame set.. only if the the 2 "bookend" frames are adjusted for the insert. It would still be able to be picked up if you were looking for it, it will just be off centered between the frames. Hard to see but the eye picks it up.

In the thousands of hours I have edited all the favorite shows people complain about (yet still watch and keep alive) I have yet to come across a clandestine ad operation going out over my network airwaves... believe me I have looked.

But then again.. maybe I am just another mindless NAB disinfo agent..

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The bad thing about TV is that it has a lot of power over the people that watch it. People that watch TV are would want to do what the people on TV are doing. How many of you have seen kids talking about how some people beating up some other people in a movie and thinking that it was cool? How many of you have seen a James Bond film and wished that you could do what James Bond did in real life?

What I am saying is that TV has too much power over people. Most people watching TV don't even realize that they are watching TV. They may not follow a plot of a TV show but they're sitting in front of the TV because their eyes are literally glued to the screen. I believe that TV induces a trance state into its viewers that transforms their mind into a dormant state where they are unaware of their time and place.

Television is used to keep us under control. There are people who would rather than go out in the real world would watch TV all day.

Television does not make someone smart. Don't be fooled by these educational programs that teach you. You can learn better by reading a book than watching TV.

I bet there isn't anyone here who would actually say that TV shows are more informative or intelligent than books. TV shows make us feel insignificant. If we read books we will gain knowledge.

Now I don't watch TV regularly and I have been feeling more positive about my lifestyle. I have stopped watching faux news. I am thinking more on a regular basis. I have had less violent thoughts. I am more conscious of myself and others. I respect everyone around me... and... I respect women more. When I watched TV I would always fantasize over certain women. I guess that's because I would always pay attention to the female on the show rather than the plot itself. I don't mean to offend any women on here but that's what my feelings towards women were when I watched TV regularly.

I do believe that there are TV shows that try to suggest that women are mere sex objects. However, they are actually, like, real people. They talk. They show emotion. They have any kind of personality. People like to try to produce shows where they stereotype women as being sex objects.

I believe TV needs to be watched in moderation. People who watch more than three hours of TV on any given day need to get a life. They need to get outside. They need something to do with their life. TV isn't a drug. Watching TV is a habit. It can be broken. However, most people don't realize that yet. That's why many people still watch TV,

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

The only kink I can find in your theory is the change in the way the masses are starting to watch "TV".

In the past years we have always had to watch what the "network" crams down our throats when they see fit. With the ever expanding presence of the internet now.. its not so much the case.

Daily the Nielson ratings drop off a percent from the public watching their favorite programs off the web, instead of off their local affiliates' airwaves.

With the choice of content broader for consumers to watch.. people are able to access that which interests them more.

TV will not exist the way it does now in 10 years.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
ok i don't know about the 30 fps thing but subliminal messages can be put in in forms of color patterns and suggestions as and example I can give but one that is not verry optional any longer is the the lighting of a cigarret ...Trust me Iam quiting and its going ok, gone from 20 pack a day to 10 and now 2 smokes a day...but I watch anime from the 80's and 90's on my computer but the series where for television originally, and no matter what series i chose there is always one lighting up and when that happen i JUst GOTTA HAVE ONE and it usually per 6th episode some even every episode..
Now since smoking is bad they have stoped putting it in the newer series. Before I began smoking it was just a "cool guy with a smoke " nothing more... now as I smoke myself its GOT DANMIT NOT AGAIN and then battle with the desire to want another smoke and its all becourse of the sound... click click.. light inhale exhale ahh... that is what does it but as earlier mentioned if your brain is more suggestiable due to the frame timing then i would say it makes sence overall...but then again now i have been writting about smoking I kinda feel like smoking

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Okay... the way that people watch television may have changed within the last 10 years or so with the internet but that still does not change the fact that they are letting TV control their lives. A lot of their life is centered around television. They don't read books. They would rather watch their favorite TV show, a reality show that they just happen to watch, or American Idol. I know a few people that couldn't do without TV. The more I notice how many Americans depend on TV for surivval the more I feel for them. I think they should read a book or two. Maybe, TV isn't all that bad, but, they shouldn't only do TV and nothing else but TV, which a lot of people unfortunately do.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Okay... I don't see why this topic has been on the top of the board for the last ten hours and no one has replied. I didn't plan on killing the board... for this long... but I am NOT going to make any concessions about my argument here and now. I feel that I have proved my point well.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join