It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does watching too much TV dumb us down?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediK
Another article said, "see how long you can go without it." I bet most people can't go a day without watching television.

Folks need a hobby these days to replace TV. In addition to turning peoples minds into vain mush, television also sucks the real fun out of life. Instead of WATCHING sports, go PLAY a sport. Instead of watch someone have fun, go have some fun yourself. I'm appalled by the number of people that don't have a compelling hobby or pastime that makes all the crap in life worth it. I don't live to go to work, or to do house chores, or to change the oil in the car, or to mow the yard, or whatever other nonsense that we have to deal with. I live for my hobbies, for having fun. Watching TV is merely watching other people do things. Talk about a waste of time and a limited life. Television is like Marshall Law, it keeps the slaves in their cage while they aren't at work.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I agree that T.V. is dumbing people down. But most importantly some people take t.v. as fact. Such as in the news or a "educational" channel. Thats one part of the reason people can't accept any type of true knowledge. For instance, people care more about t.v. or movies then stuff about real life. The stuff that really matters. One time I was discussing philosophy with my friend and she told me she doesn't read that stuff because it messes up her mind. I asked her why....and she said it makes her think.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Tenebrous

excellent question i was wondering this myself if we are being intentioally dumbed down or if people want this . even once legitamate news agency are no more abc news for example once had news desks all over europe and asia and south america now they do not have a single one and simply buy there news from a produser over seas to get there iNternational news have you ever wondered why the news will spend half there show talking about britney spears (just using her as an examole) then just mention the wars in iraq and afganistan in passing

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I think the real question that ought to be asked is whether people even want to be edumacated using the tele?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
It's a general consensus amongst the marketing data and polls out there that TV viewing is down in the US, being replaced by Internet and game usage. So while I agree that TV can "dumb you down", it is also on the decline, so the effect may be self-limiting.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I believe that tv could be used for many more purposes than what it is currently being used for. I agree that the bulk of tv programming is utter garbage and realistically, I don't think that any member of this forum will disagree with that. But there are certain programs that serve to awaken people to the true nature of reality and of life itself. I would not have some of the knowledge that I hold dear now if I wasn't watching programs that opened my eyes to it. I've seen many documentaries on a British channel (skythree, I believe) that were thoughtful, relevant and educational. As far as North American broadcasts go, you've got to seek out the gems.

And while I believe that tv does "dumb us down", I feel that it may be much more than that. I've often wondered if tv is not merely a reflection of society, but in a way helps to create our society.

Through watching tv, we are bombarded with countless images of crime, murder, sex and violence. Is it possible that this constant portrayal of a world gone mad serves to perpetuate the notion, and in turn, makes it a reality?

Maybe it's a lot greater than making us more stupid. Maybe the portrayals of average, everyday life serve to make us believe that the world is a dark and evil place. Prime time tv (with the exception of brain-draining "reality" tv) is all about dramas, which routinely involve sex, crime, murder or a combination of any of the former. It makes for interesting subject matter, granted, but the constant bombardment of these themes must, in some way, make us believe that this is how it is, and it will never change, yet only get worse.

I for one, am a firm believer in desensitization. How many times have you seen a person killed or shot on tv? Arguably not as many times as in one single videogame, but it looks much more real on a tv. And that helps to instill the idea in your mind that killing is commonplace, and therefore, should be accepted as an aspect of life. Ask anyone you know if they think people should be murdered, and they will reply "No" - but add, "That's the way life is" or "That's just the way the world works sometimes" or something similar to that effect. I remember asking my father once "Why do people kill each other?" and he replied that there are some bad people out there, and that the world is not as it should be. But is was conveyed to me that I should accept this fact, and move on.

With all the focus we waste on tv, these same ideas are being planted into our head. Is it any wonder that a few high school children would storm their school with automatic weapons? Or that children living in urban areas seek out gang life? Take a look at today's pop music stars, and realize that tv made them famous. Our children are growing up idolizing drug dealers, gun runners and gangsters.

Not only is tv dumbing us down, it's breaking us down.

Thanks for posting this topic, it's really made me think. I've been reading the board for a bit, but this topic made me want to actually post a reply. I hope I've contributed to this discussion in any way I can. Kudos!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
The fact that tis question was posted should actually answer it aswell....

Questioning the obvious is becoming a fad...

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DivinorumusSeriously, only idiots and loosers watch too much TV.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by Divinorumus]

What's a 'looser'? Is that someone whose nut is not very tight?

Someone that needs some crazy glue?

Someone who used too much WD-40?

Maybe someone who needs some bismuth subsalicylate?

My TV stays on all the time. Loosely translated, that means it's background. In case I lose something in translation, I'm doing other things when it's on, but it provides company.

[edit on 30-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

Originally posted by DivinorumusSeriously, only idiots and loosers watch too much TV.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by Divinorumus]

What's a 'looser'? Is that someone whose nut is not very tight?

Someone that needs some crazy glue?

Someone who used too much WD-40?

Maybe someone who needs some bismuth subsalicylate?

I would assumethat he meant people that set their schedule around tv programs...

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Most of the US media is controlled by a few whose interests are with the government. Everything is manipulated so we get fed entertainment instead of knowledge. Or when there is knowledge, it's generally historical or completely biased.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
Most of the US media is controlled by a few whose interests are with the government. Everything is manipulated so we get fed entertainment instead of knowledge. Or when there is knowledge, it's generally historical or completely biased.

Well the latest fad shows allot ..."reality" TV when you ook at the background its staged like everything else..kind of like Life ...we swear things are in stone...But is their a script somewhere?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I dont watch tv for several years now. My life is better.
When i see or talk with friends or relatives that watch it for many hours each day i feel that they have some fog in their heads. I had it too, now i think clearer and better. Certainly peoples that watch tv are dumber and they have problems witch logical thinking...
I always joke that "They" are putting some subliminal messages in every program, movie etc. But maybe its not a joke. My parents and parents of my fiancee are older ppl and they watch tv almost 24/7. I have problems with communication with them... They dont use their brains and are easy to manipulating. Its like in the movie "They Live"...

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Television does not necessarily make anyone dumb. What TV does is hypnotize the viewer. Hypnotized people are more suggestible. Suggestibility is not proportionate to intelligence. Some of the most intelligent people are also the most suggestible

The hypnotic trance inducing power of TV is hidden withing the technology and is irrelevant to the content of the programing.

It is the basic flashing pulse of the lighted box to which we focus our attention.

The technology of TV requires that there be a "blanking interval" which is when the scan line disappears to begin a new scan. This occurs for 1/30th of ever viewed second of screen time. This is interval blocked out by your visual cortex due to persistence of vision, but your brain still records
the missing information.

This conditions your brain to look for the missing information, which is another route to suggestibility and ultimately mass social programing.

The author JERRY MANDER has written several books on this subject starting with 1978's Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television, I would strongly recommend reading it or at least reading a review of the book and its criticisms.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206884797&sr=1-1

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
TV itself isn't neccessarily dumbing us down, but I think a lot of the programming on TV certainly is.

I watch very little despite having cable and what I do watch is usually educational or how-to/lifestyle sort of shows, with comedy thrown in if I just want to relax.

I think TV has some of the worst potential to 'dumb down' it's viewers because it's such a passive medium for the viewer - they contribute nothing, they just soak it in. The same could be said for books of course too, but that requires some effort and uses your imagination, TV presents easy to 'digest' visuals that we just soak up.

I think it's all about what you watch and how much of it. Everything in moderation I guess (gee I should take my own advice with this board!) and TV in particular. 'Dumb' shows are fine now and then, but they shouldn't be a staple.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I saw this story on 3/30 Sunday Morning Show on CBS -- this appears to answer your question.

"Between States, Hard Feelings Over a Rock’s Place"

www.nytimes.com...

More money well spent in the judicial system (I refer you to my FIJA post)

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
To be "dumbed down", first you must be a willing participant in the process. Unless you allow your mind to turn off, it won't happen. Unless you are obsessive about an action, it's not an addiction. It doesn't matter the activity. Sure, running is healthy, but obsessive running can interfere with other goals and needs. Body building is great, until it turns into narcissism. Fine dining and gluttony have the same starting points.

Secondly, any activity, from watching Texas dung beetles work and play, to astronomy, are acts of learning, if that is your goal. It isn't the medium you use, it's the amount of gray matter you keep a good supply of blood flowing to that counts.

It's the fad now to create a highbrow intellectual image by whining over TV, as if we lack the control to resist stupid programing. I find these statements about the evils of certain things to be a form of attention garnering elitism, a neo-intellectualism for the wannabe "in crowd". Such fads have waxed and waned, from the book burners to the "rock and roll will ruin our youth crowd", and all it really means is those who can't perform multi-level thinking worrying that everyone else is in the same fix.

No intention to offend, but brainwashing comes in many sizes and flavors, so resist the urge to be a "fad lemming". Chose the path less traveled.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWRHINO
Television does not necessarily make anyone dumb. What TV does is hypnotize the viewer.

The technology of TV requires that there be a "blanking interval" which is when the scan line disappears to begin a new scan. This occurs for 1/30th of ever viewed second of screen time. This is interval blocked out by your visual cortex due to persistence of vision, but your brain still records
the missing information.

This conditions your brain to look for the missing information, which is another route to suggestibility and ultimately mass social programing.

Excellent post.

I have likewise heard of the 24th frame theory where 1/24 frames has a hidden image. This is almost impossible to prove because the television itself blurs through 24 frames - it's not like a digital video where we can record each frame and tick through it on playback. So not only is the pulse of the TV invisible to the naked eye, graphic images of murder could be flickering through a childrens TV show and they would have no idea.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
This is almost impossible to prove because the television itself blurs through 24 frames - it's not like a digital video where we can record each frame and tick through it on playback.

Unless the theory goes that the flickering itself is hypnotic, doesn't this quote almost debunk the idea of images being inserted on its own?

The television itself does the scanning refresh as part of it's normal functioning, it's independant (so to speak) from the actual signals being relayed in from you arial or whatever. As long as the TV is on it'll be doing this refresh, it doesn't need to recieve the refresh information from an external source.

Wouldn't this also mean that data can't be inserted into the refresh?

The refresh, as far as my knowledge goes is basically a purely 'mechanical' aspect of how a TV works and does not require information to happen, nor can information be inserted into it.

I hope that made sense and somebody can confirm or deny this, I'm very tired and this will likely be my last post for the evening.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
To me, "dumbing down" seems to be an action that a person takes upon herself or himself. I don't think it's possible for a TV program to "dumb down" someone. What TV can do is persuade folks to wait for things to be brought to them. Example, the news. Rather than being active and pursuing news stories, one merely sits on the couch in front of the tube and waits to be served whatever the network decides is in its benefit to serve. Thus a dumbing down effect occurs because with such an arrangement a viewer will never receive all the important details that can be had on any subject mainstream media decides to report. The news is mainstream for a reason. It's the way it is because of competition from other countless news and entertainment sources, and because it has to appeal to a wide demographic in order to boost and maintain ratings which are important for a network's bottom line.

What is important to understand is that any TV network looks after itself first and before the viewer. It has to make money through advertising in order to stay alive. For a network, s show with high ratings is more important than the audience that watches it. And since there are many viewers with different tastes, temperaments, who represent numerous demographics, it is not reasonable that each and every person can be satisfied. So the networks play to the lowest common denominator. There are more people who can relate to petty arguments, sexual relationships and crime and than those who would really understand the intricacies of many science subjects or finance subjects, for instance. Are there more people interested in watching TV shows that require them to use high school trigonometry to understand the finer points of economics than those who would like to watch sexy actors play make believe lifeguards on the beaches of Hawaii? My best guess is that even if there were more people who use trigonometry on a daily basis, most of them would find it easier and more pleasurable to sit back and vicariously enjoy the natural gifts of some actors that are presented on the tube. It's just a hunch.

Instead of folks figuring out their own sense of fashion, they mimic what they see on TV. Instead of folks becoming original and interesting people, they mimic what they are entertained by through music, movies, and TV, generally. They make choices. The TV doesn't force them. Entertainment appeals to the baser instincts of people and people choose to be entertained. That's what usually happens. One might feel like one is being programmed to respond to the dictates of entertainment, but closer to the truth is that people like being turned on more than they like turning on the TV. So that works in favor of the entertainment industry which understandably caters to that human impulse.

At any time one could choose to read a book about something that vaguely interests them. Thereby gaining a better understanding and appreciation of the subject. At any time one could decide that she or he wants to know more about the financial system that her or his life depends on. Same with government and politics. There are some folks who cannot make a distinction between government and politics simply because they have made the choice to remain ignorant about those subjects. Even with TV stations like The Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and PBS the programming usually displays the more sensuous aspects of its subject. If a show is about cosmology, there will be plenty of pretty pictures of the universe on display. It the show is about politics or government, many arguments between historical and current political leaders will be featured. These are the things that interest people when it comes time to unwind. Most people do not see TV as an educational medium, but it's easier to think of one's self as being informed by watching TV than it is to go and acquire a more in-depth education.

Again, what I'm saying is that, as far as TV and entertainment is concerned, people dumb down themselves. However, if a parent takes a child out of school under the pretense of homeschooling, and does nothing more than sit the child in front of a TV all day long, it's the parents fault. Same thing for communication issues. If the parent deals with their children by catering to their baser instincts by giving them sweets and placing them in front of the TV whenever problems arise, rather than having real and meaningful discussions, it's the parents fault. Otherwise, folks are choosing of their own will what they do and do not want to know. Just a hunch.

[Edit: Oops! Changed "highest common denominator" to "lowest common denominator". That mistake had nothing to do with TV, though.
Was a result of "Cut & Paste". Duh.
]

[edit on 30-3-2008 by Areal51]

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Check the EMF, electromagnetic radiation, with a EMF meter coming off your television. Kids as well as adults will set up close too a wide screen Hi def T.V. and in a lot of cases and play video games and will receive way over 100 EMF. 100 or less is considered safe. Other electrical appliances in your home could have high EMF readings also including vacuum cleaners .My friend tested his friends hi def T.V. for EMF and it was 1200 EMF. I ordered two X-Guard units to reduce the EMF in 2 rooms in my house.

I believe California if I am not mistaken requires that homes being sold be tested for EMF levels. I ordered my X-Guards from www.xedia.com/wattsavings The company is Xedia Technologies. Rik Riley

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join