It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian 'witch' tied to tree, beaten by mob

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   

www.cnn.com

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- An Indian woman accused of being a witch was tied to a tree and beaten by a mob, with television footage of the incident aired in India on Friday.

Villagers tied the woman to a tree after a man accused her of practicing black magic.

Nishant Tiwari, a police official in northeastern India, said a journalist who filmed the beating called him Thursday to report the incident, which took place in the village of Dumaria in central eastern Bihar state.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
When stories like this surface, it just galvanizes my position that cultures need to be approach with an independent thought process. These guys seem to be good candidates for "forced Democracy."

Do these people deserve judgement from our unrelated eyes? As crazy as this seems, is it as crazy as thinking slavery was normal? Or thinking the earth was flat?

Well, if nothing else, it is a glimpse of what we all thought was still in the past.

Well, we are good at indoctrination, perhaps invading and forcing democracy sandwhiches down their throats is good punishment.

The United States held almost 500,000 enemy combatants within her borders during
World War II. Out of those 500,000 men, 380,000 were from Nazi Germany. Nazi
POWs were confined to camps built near small rural towns in almost every state. It was
not something that was well known to the American public. Even less known was the
American Military’s effort, through reeducation, to introduce Hitler’s soldiers to a new
political ideology–democracy.

Democracy University

AAC

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-3-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

[edit on 29-3-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
beating anyone is horrible, doesnt matter if she is a witch, there are other ways to resolve the conflict, e.g. a sadhu can exorcise her.

Or thinking the earth was flat?

it was only the western world where the "scholars" thought the world was flat.
indian yogis and sadhus new about the earth, and solar system, and also about this whole material universe. E.g in vedas (6000 bc) it mentions the exact distance between the earth and the sun, which can be verified today only with the help of new laser telescopes,

it also describes about other planets, and solar systems, and different species living in the universe.

to think that we used to think that the world is flat , only refers to the western "scientists" . so keep the we to ur self buddy

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

As you cannot "force democracy," you cannot erradicate superstition for the very same reason, namely lack of education.

Education is the key to both democracy as it is to rational beliefs. That's why the supposed democracy in places where the US spends trillions to supposely establish it will never be any success.

And with education I don't mean something just started yesterday to install a working democracy tomorrow. It takes at least 3 generations of information access and education to create a citizen that'll make a democracy work. To make sound beliefs in rational thinking might take even longer.

I live in Thailand, generally mistaken for an educated and democratic country, and this CNN 'news' is just everyday news here. It surprise me they didn't burn her or spike her, because that's what uneducated people usually do.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Well, we are good at indoctrination, perhaps invading and forcing democracy sandwhiches down their throats is good punishment.

What a decidedly arrogant viewpoint.

If you took a snapshot of US news, with murders, gun crime, drug problems and corporate corruption, and judged it this way, would you be suggesting that someone forced democracy on the USA?

This was a crime, not a representation of a people.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
as if the united states is a democracy. LMAO

Anyhow, this is in a village, you don't force democracy in villages you just improve education.

See how simple it is? no invasion needed.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

When stories like this surface, it just galvanizes my position that cultures need to be approach with an independent thought process. These guys seem to be good candidates for "forced Democracy."

What the hell are you talking about? India is a democracy already, with an established rule of law. The mob will be dealt with by the police.

Your lumping together of a muderous mob with the entire Indian nation is frankly an insult. You need to seriously get some education.

What if I started passing generalisations about your entire country based on the paedophiles and murderers in your country.

Your using such an article as "evidence" that Indians cannot rule themselves is precisely what gave rise to colonialism. You see the entire country as a bunch of savages despite all the advances it has made.

In short, you are a bigot because you are characterising an entire nation by the acts of a few just because they are of the same race.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Bush had the right idea, but the wrong motivation.

Did I just say that?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Graphic content sensitive viewer discretion advised:

Speak'

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I tell you what if there are witches there the most selfish people in the world. They could fix all the worlds problems yet . Use there power to avoid cooking or cleaning ? Yeah right.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Bush had the right idea, but the wrong motivation.

Did I just say that?

It is not your place to enforce law in a sovereign nation.

Why dont you wait and see how the Indian authorities react before passing comment?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Like the salem witch hunts and the inquisition. Same crap- different country. I am missing anything?

Sorry to sound so insensitive- It is horrible that this BS is still going on after centuries and countless bloody examples.

India is vastly- and I do mean vastly superior in technology and as soon as any country and person's humanity surpasses their technology we will see an end to this miserable, unnecessary BS- and not before then.

Oh, IMO

[edit on 29-3-2008 by dk3000]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It wasn't that long ago that people were hung from trees by their necks, or burned to death, for no crime worse than being black in the USA.
In fact the last one was in 2006.

www.cnn.com...

I guess someone should force democracy on us also? How big is that log in our eyes?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Why dont you wait and see how the Indian authorities react before passing comment?

I might - if the Indian authorities themselves didn't commit worser crimes. As for where you think my 'place' is I have only
for you.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I might - if the Indian authorities themselves didn't commit worser crimes. As for where you think my 'place' is I have only
for you.

For pete's sake man, the phrase "your place" doesnt refer to geographical location, but to your position and ability to comment on an issue with authority.

"didnt commit worser crimes"... yes, I think Indians may have to force grammar lesson on you in return for the democracy you plan to force on us

And, FYI here is the plan for justice in the backward country you plan on "civilizing" :

Ram Ayodhya, who could face up to seven years in prison for his role in the attack

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

For pete's sake man, the phrase "your place" doesnt refer to geographical location, but to your position and ability to comment on an issue with authority.

Yes.

Who released the attack dogs on this thread? Oh well.... the more I learn about India the more I am disturbed that such a cesspit of humanity exists.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

What a decidedly arrogant viewpoint.

When you read between the lines, you're supposed to open your eyes.
'

What viewpoint? Are you referring to the factual truth I refer to?

If you took a snapshot of US news, with murders, gun crime, drug problems and corporate corruption, and judged it this way, would you be suggesting that someone forced democracy on the USA?

Really, you should first describe the perspective you've independently created so that I may at least know what your talking about. I'm suggesting what? It's late here. *rubs eyes* does your profile say moderator? Because the moderators I know usually based their conjectures on at least circumstantial evidence.

This was a crime, not a representation of a people.

My whole post was in part showing that cultures are obviously evolving at different rates of speed, because of different cultural adaptations, yet democratic pushers think their ideology is "one size fits all."

If you can't pick up dry humor (in the face of an unfortunate cover story), I am left responding in a condescending manner that I don't usually like to represent.

But thanks for responding I guess.

AAC

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Yes.

Who released the attack dogs on this thread? Oh well.... the more I learn about India the more I am disturbed that such a cesspit of humanity exists.

Nobody released the attack dogs. I was using metaphors to try and put my point across.

I see I am arguing with those that live under rocks here... pointless.

And one final thing : you havent learnt anything about India... youve learnt that crimes can take place anywhere. If you cant see the distinction, then I pity your meagre intellect.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
listen people, i'm indian
I was born here but i've been to india many times, even to villages, i mean real villages where nobody has a TV in the entire village.

Some of these places are seperated by massive amounts of empty land, massive forests that deserves it's own city and sometimes state name.

Of course that's really living in "boneyland", far far far away from organized society.
Because of location it's very hard to organize a good education in these areas, very hard. And if you visited these areas and saw for yourself, this point would be emphasized even more.

It's in these places where Saathi was invented(which had nothing to do with hinduism whatsoever) where the wife kills herself if her husband died, or sometimes burnt to death.

Saathi has been illegal since the 70s in India, but being this far from society where it's so far away you would never see any police or even a police office, a sherrif... nothing!

So far they probably don't even know it's been illegal for so long as there's no newspapers out there.

They live great with no govt. intervention, but there's very little education in these areas.

The problem is distance!

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

I know enough about India to make an assessment without interruptions from bruised egos. I have seen you, soulslayer, state your anti-Pakistan rhetoric over ATS and even go so far as to suggest war for no reason in particular but to satisfy your own hate. How is this any better than what you believe some have wrongly suggested against India? It is time for you to grow up and examine your own hipocracy. I have lost interest in further responses.

Ancient India was a beacon of civilization and spirituality. In contrast, Modern India is one of the world's least civilized places. It harbors some of Earth's worst examples of neglect and squalor, and has a greater GDP than some European nations. India spends billions indiscriminately while it's citizens live in abject misery and fear. Not just of their hopeless tomorrows, but of each other as this news and hundreds of other headlines like it proves. I would be a poor humanitarian to not consider an interventionist liberation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join