It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want answers or suggestions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have had an unusal experience and I don't know if it was real or not, but it felt very real. I haven't had a dream or nightmare since I was a child so for something like this to happen raises me to question if it was in fact real.

This happened a few months ago, but I can recall it like it was yesterday. I was lying in bed and it was on a Saturday so I was sleeping in. I suddenly realized I wasn't asleep anymore because I wear glasses so in my dreams or nightmares I usually see things clearly, but this time things were blurry...My bed is pushed to the wall so I sleep facing it and the first thing I realize is that I can't move...I try to scream for help, but it was this weird feeling like I didn't have a voice or I was mute, but I could breathe fine...I just couldn't scream. Then I had this intense chill go down my spine. Something was behind me and I couldn't move to see it clearly...but I could sense it...I could sense this breathing over me and it felt like it was reaching for me....I didn't know what was going on...It freaked the hell out of me...I am not a very religious person, but I do believe in God so all I could think to do was pray...I just keep praying and then I could feel it or sense it more fall away and then slowly the coldness went away and I could move my limbs...another reason I don't think it was a dream is because once I could move I was aware I was very much awake...I then feared getting out of bed so I cried myself to sleep. I have never experienced anything like this before and I could really use some answers or suggestions to what this could have been. I have never been so freaked out in my life. I told my mom, but she just said it was a bad dream....that was not a dream...

-Scared and Confused

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
sounds to me like the "old hag" experience, try googling old hag, and see what it says. I would find u a link, but i gotta get to work lol. ill check the thread when i get offf and try to find some stuff for ya

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It sounds like sleep paralysis to me..

Here is a Wiki article on it

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
eh, did i get the 2 mixed again?

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by madworld_alice
I have had an unusal experience and I don't know if it was real or not, but it felt very real. I haven't had a dream or nightmare since I was a child so for something like this to happen raises me to question if it was in fact real.

Good old sleep paralysis. Cool, ain't it? I remember the couple of times I had it, it's just amazing how real everything seems at the time. Weird thoughts and feelings. That frozen feeling.

Nothing to be too concerned about, really. Check it out:

www.stanford.edu...

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I had that happen once too. I thought there were about 15 ghosts in my room and I remember the feeling of such terror. But yah, sleep paralysis. I really think that it is the explanation of many "alien abductions" as well. When it happened to me I felt that whatever fear I had was multiplied by 1000. Now just think if that happend to someone who may have a fear of aliens or just watched a ufo show on tv. I'm not saying it is the answer to every 'abduction' story by no means, but could explain some of them.

Edit to welcome you to ATS.

[edit on 29-3-2008 by hsur2112]

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I've had it a couple of times, coincidently it was within a couple of days of each other, my interpretation at the time was that I was getting pinned down and assaulted by some paranormal entity.

Anyway, like has been said already it's known as sleep paralysis, here is a good explanation of why and how it occurs:

Paralysis while asleep is the normal condition. The body secretes hormones which relax certain muscles and prevent you from acting out your dreams. If it didn’t you would be in quite some danger every time you went to sleep.
The process of waking up might seem quite simple to you. But it’s actually a complex process involving many physiological changes. One of these is the reversal of the paralysis. People experience sleep paralysis when the hormone doesn’t wear off fast enough as they wake up. They remain paralysed though conscious. Because they have little sensation from their body, if they are lying on their backs, it can feel like someone is sitting on their chest. Eventually the paralysis departs and normal functions can be resumed.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I've never heard of it until now. It has to be one of the strangest and scariest things I've ever experienced. I'm very relieved to know this is a common experience, but disturbed none the less. I'd also like to know if you've experienced it once you are more likely to experience it again or if I should not worry about going through it again. Ultimately in my book, one of the worst physical phenomenons.

posted on Mar, 29 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It happened to me kind of in a cluster, at a time in my life when I was really stressed. And kind of odd, it only happens when I am sleeping on my back, don't know why. I always sleep on my side now and has not happened since. Notice in the "alien abduction" re-creations that the victem is sleeping on their backs......? I'm just saying......

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I appreciate your suggestion, but the only problem is that I was asleep on my side when it happened. I have slept in the same position since...I haven't had it reoccur, but I was hoping to be assured that it wouldn't happen again....I won't sleep on my back if it's more likely to occur in that position. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I kind of feel silly now for fearing the worst, but I guess that's normal....still very relieved to know I am not alone in my strange experience and that it wasn't anything to worry too much about.

new topics

top topics

join