It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing moon rock

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is a cropped version of the image AS17-145-22136 from the Apollo 17 Lunar Surface Journal. The image can also be found at Lunar and Planetary Institute.

I have just increased contrast and decreased brightness a bit to make the features of this "rock" easier to see. So - what do you think? Strange rock, or what?

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
what do you think you see on this rock? It definately is a rock.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jtelt

I would be a good idea to look near the bottom of the image, for one thing.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
well to me it look's like the rock has been broken in 2 pieces and the lighting is contrasting some pretty interesting shadow's. One of the shadow's even look's like a worm of some kind. But it still look's to me as shadow's. What does it look like to you??

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Hmm, it looks like there are symbols on this rock....
I think i see 4 different ones, not sure though if it is shadows playing tricks, but it also looks like they have been carved out of the rock.

Could be a very nice find!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Ok,, now that I look real close it look's like the dude you can see on the leg of the camel on a pack of camel cig's. Directly west of the cross? Is this what you see?? interesting, but I think it's just a moon rock.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jtelt

Hi, I certainly respect the fact that you don't see anything strange here, but since I did, I wanted to share the image with people at ATS to get some opinions on the subject. By the way, what looks like some kind of carvings in the rock can be seen in image AS17-145-22137 too, so it isn't just a trick of light.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion, and thanks for giving me a good laugh with your camel comment!

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Here is another image for you all, a cropped version of image AS15-89-12135.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
now wtf is that? Where are you finding these at? Curious, cause I want to look.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
And another one. AS17-137-20931, cropped version.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jtelt

Hi, you can go to www.hq.nasa.gov... and look at many (at least the not classified) Apollo images. From this adress you can click your way in to all the Apollo missions and study the images. Zoom in on interesting features, and adjust brightness and contrast to see things more clearly.

Happy hunt - if you have the patience.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Cropped version of AS17-136-20690.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

That last one is definitely a lunar turkey. Sorry to laugh, but I all I see are rocks. Nothing special about them.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

Here is a crocodile for you, too. With some kind of strange handles on it.
Cropped version of AS17-145-22166.

[edit on 26-3-2008 by ziggystar60]

[edit on 26-3-2008 by ziggystar60]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60
This is a cropped version of the image AS17-145-22136 from the Apollo 17 Lunar Surface Journal. The image can also be found at Lunar and Planetary Institute.

I have just increased contrast and decreased brightness a bit to make the features of this "rock" easier to see. So - what do you think? Strange rock, or what?

That photo and the very similar AS17-145-22137 were taken during EVA 3 at Geology Station 5 "Camelot Crater". During the time those photos were taken, Gene Cernan was breaking off two samples from a rock using his "Pick" tool. He took 3 whacks at the rock for each of the two samples. I think what were are seeing are the marks left by the tool.

Here is a picture taken by Harrison "Jack" Schmitt (the one in the OP was taken by Gene Cernan) that shows the same rock (albeit from a different angle) before the samples were picked off of it. You can see there are no marks on it yet (click the photo for the full size). This was cropped from the original which was AS17-133-20318:

Here is a transcript of the "sample gathering". I underlined and italicized to parts dealing with photographing the rock , then braking off samples, then photographing it again:

[Gene makes his way out of the boulder field to take cross-Suns from the south; Jack moves north out of the TV picture to take a cross-Sun from that direction.]
[Gene's photos are AS17-145- 22136 to 22138.]

[Jack's cross-Sun is AS17-133- 20328. Jack also takes a "locator" to the Rover, AS17-133- 20329.]

146:36:42 Cernan: (To himself) I've already cycled film.
146:36:44 Schmitt: We need to sample the structures, though, in this thing. We haven't really done that.

146:36:48 Cernan: We'll try and get a(n) "around-the-corner"...

146:36:50 Schmitt: And we've got to get...

146:36:51 Cernan: ...picture.

146:36:52 Schmitt: We need to get that stuff on the mantle, too. (Pause) I mean on the blocks.

[Gene gets the hammer out of his shin pocket.]
146:36:57 Cernan: Yup. Okay, we want to get an "around-the-corner" picture of one of those big ones, too. See if we can get the structure of it. Okay, you get your picture?
146:37:05 Schmitt: Yup. (Pause)

This was the picture Jack Schmitt took (AS17-133-20328) before the sample was taken (the picture from wich I cropped my image).

[Gene stands over the boulder and takes three low, nearly horizontal whacks at it.]
146:37:19 Cernan: Here's a piece right here.
146:37:20 Schmitt: Okay, can you hand me a bag, or I'll pick it up with a scoop, whichever you prefer. (Pause)

[Gene grabs the fragment with his tongs, then goes to Jack so that Jack can get a sample bag from him.]
146:37:29 Cernan: Get the bag? Let's see if we can fix your (sample) bag thing tonight. (Pause)
[Gene raises the tongs so that Jack can take the sample.]
146:37:41 Schmitt: Okay, I got it. (Pause) Okay, that looks like our old friend, the gabbro, all right. (Pause)
[Having examined the rock, Jack bags it. Gene dislodges another sample with three hammer blows.]
146:38:00 Cernan: How's that for a piece.

146:38:01 Schmitt: 462 is Gene's fairly freshly fractured rock.

[Once Jack finishes closing the first sample bag, Gene presents his SCB.]

Then in the below dialogue they talk about taking another picture of the now-broken rock -- when they say "lets get over there and get at least one of it", they mean a picture of the rock 'after' the broke off a sample:

146:38:52 Cernan: Okay.
146:38:53 Schmitt: (Bag number) 463. Is another of the same variety. Wish we'd started on that structured rock because we're going to run out of time. Let's go over there and get at least one off of it.

146:39:13 Cernan: Yeah, we'll get it.

146:39:14 Schmitt: Get the "after". (Pause) Whoops.

[Jack drops the scoop, then asks Gene if he's finished taking the picture.]

146:39:24 Schmitt: Got it?

146:39:26 Cernan: Got it. (Pause)

The full transcript from Geology Station 5 can be found here:
history.nasa.gov...

It seems to me by looking at the "before and after" photos that those marks are simply tool marks left by the astronauts.

[edit on 3/26/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I have NASA images on Lunar Lizardz Moon Research

At My Space - Lunar Lizardz

Lunar Lizardz

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
OOOOOHHHHHHH MMMMMYYYYYYYY GGGGOOOODDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting all of my life for this.

I can't believe it. All of my prayers have been answered.

IT"S A ROCK............COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!!!SERIOUSLY????????????

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Your right, after maybe 65 million years of petrification in a near vacuum on the lunar surface, it would have to be a rock.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nnelsosj
Your right, after maybe 65 million years of petrification in a near vacuum on the lunar surface, it would have to be a rock.

What the heck are you talking about? Are you suggesting that some kind of living animal thing dropped dead or something on the lunar surface and petrified right there on the spot?

You don't understand how petrification works. One of the requirements to have that happen is water with a lot of minerals in it. Here. Read up:

www.geocities.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

A very nice article on PETRIFIED WOOD found on earth in a National Park.

Could you possibly reference something more appropriate like the LUNAR ENVIRONMENT?

I think it may be necessary to speculate considering the large numbers of Lunar Photographs with what appears to be (dead) life forms in them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join