It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq: US death toll in war hits 4,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Iraq: US death toll in war hits 4,000

news.yahoo.com

BAGHDAD - A roadside bomb killed four U.S. soldiers in Baghdad on Sunday, the military said, pushing the overall American death toll in the five-year war to at least 4,000.

The grim milestone came on the same day that rockets and mortars pounded the U.S.-protected Green Zone, underscoring the fragile security situation and the resilience of both Sunni and Shiite extremist groups despite an overall lull in violence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US Deaths in Iraq Approach 4,000

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well we knew it was coming and it is now here. A sad day for Americans maybe, but a sadder day for the world in general that potentially a war is existing, being fought over and people dying from all around the world for nothing of serious significance.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23/3/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Congrats Dumbya and Insaney! 4,000 of our men slaughtered for nothing!

Now with McInsane being groomed for the position and rammed down our throats, we'll be able to rack up a few thousand more!

But remember, "It was all worth it!"

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Nothing against this post, but i knew it would come. There was around 50,000 US dead in Nam and we never lost a battle, just the war. Served in the army just after and had a draft card to go just before the draft ended. Lost friends and distant family over there and the thing I never want to see or hear is the "body count", for either side ever again. Suppose that somewhere it just needs to be done to satisfy some, but war is not a game. lives are lost in any war and instead of counting the dead, lets count the deeds and valor of those who answered the call. The average soldier didnt start or want war, politics drives the machine of death. Dont count the dead, honor them for their sacrifice for doing a job that they had no control over, but did the best they could do, sometimes for an ungrateful nation.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dcmb1490
Dont count the dead, honor them for their sacrifice for doing a job that they had no control over, but did the best they could do, sometimes for an ungrateful nation.

Absolutely true and a star for you. That was what i was trying to suggest is that it is unfortunate that these people died for seemingly no reason. It takes nothing away from the soldiers themselves, out there putting their lives on the line to fulfill their duty. Absolutely correct that they are doing their job with no control of the duties they have to fulfill.

I guess something else we also need to consider is not just the lives that have been lost but the extra thousands of lives that are impacted. Fatherless children, son-less parents, widows and lost brothers, we have heard it all, however, unless we have been in their situation do we understand it?

[edit on 23/3/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

As a soldier, I feel insulted by your implied notions that soldiers are helpless children who must be coddled, and never put in harm's way. THAT does a giant, huge disservice to the honor of the scrifice we are all willing to make for our loved ones, friends, family, and FREEDOMS!

4,000 soldiers dead in Iraq? How many died while on bases in friendly areas in the US and around the world, during that same time? How many of those 4,000 were to enemy action? How many insurgents did those 4,000 take with them to the after life? How do YOU know it wasn't worth it to them to lay down thier lives for what THEY believed in? Maybe there is a better way to honor thier sacrifice, then USEING there valueble sacrifices to make a political point!!!? You think? I don't care if you hate Bush or want to bare his children (I for one hate what he has done to our nation's freedoms) you DO a great misjustice to the soldiers who won't be comeing home when its over.

I KNEW what I was signing up for, and I wouldn't have regretted dieing for it one little bit! We Americans need to get this silly idea out of our ignorant heads, that dieing for a cause you believe in, or for love is a bad way to go. I leave you with this:

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
To my friends in service to our country.

I know that you join the military for the betterment of our country. I know that you serve because you love America and your family and friends and that you want to protect America.

I appreciate your sacrifice for our country. I too joined the military and served four years and left with an honorable discharge. I too love my country and will die to defend it and my loved ones as well.

But my friends I look at a country thousands of miles away from us and I struggle to make the connection that fighting in Iraq is somehow defending America at home.

I believe that the enemy that you are fighting in Iraq are the very people that you are trying to help. I believe that the Iraqi’s smile to your faces while holding knives behind their backs. I believe that the tenants of Islam will not allow anything that you have done in Iraq to last any worthy length of time. Islam believes that Americans are possessed by the devil. It is my belief that as soon as we leave Iraq the Iraqis will cherish in destroying everything that we have done for them. I believe that Islam will desire to purge themselves once again of all American influence once we leave Iraq. Because of this, I feel that the Iraqis do not deserve any help from us in the least.

It is my personal opinion that it is not worth one single American life to attempt to help a people who because of their religion secretly cherish in destroying each and every American life that they can.

I want our friends and family to come home to us and stop fighting for a people that despise us and see us as evil. It is foolhardy to extend you hand to the enemy and think that they will not cherish in cutting it off. That is what I believe is happening in Iraq.

I want you to come home and stop suffering for a people that hate you.

I also believe that when we leave Iraq then the Iraqis will pump out as much oil as Saddam did because they will no longer be getting our tax dollars in their pockets. I do not believe that leaving Iraq will destabilize the oil market one little bit.

I hope now you can understand why I want you home. It is not because I am against you. It is not because I don’t appreciate your service to our country. It is because I believe that we the American people are the only ones who actually do appreciate your service and that our government and the Iraqis could give damn less about your lives.

That is why I want you home.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by Hot_Wings]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

so thats 4000 people that let go of their lives for the prophits of the big cats
they signed up for this and its a shame the one thing most people signed up for isnt what they were fighting for

wounder how many cuvilians paid the price aswell

figure must be well higher then 4000.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Obvious there are no words that can take away all this pain and sorrow.
But these are my thoughts.

When 4000 American soldiers die,
there are also 4000 American Families who cry.

When 100.000 Iraqis die,
there are also 100.000 Iraqi Families who cry.

Every time I ask myself why?

Because any number of war victims is always too high,

Many who live deserve death,
and many died deserved life.

If I made a misspell I apologize.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think everyone here knows the number is well over 4000. I'll trust the sources to our neighbor to the north before trusting anything reported in US media.

www.agoracosmopolitan.com...

top topics

join