It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M14 vs M1

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
doublepost

[edit on 23/3/08 by cometa]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

so check this out! at the very left side is m14 ammo(7.62X51), now look at (8x57IS) k98 ammo. the only better thing is the springfield .03 (.30-06), these bullets can only laugh about body-armor. you can also buy a dragunov (7.62X54R) if you want! that would be my personal choice to participate in a civil war. by the way, the k98 is very old. but k98k version is not sooo old. these weapons were built for eternity. if you can get your hands on a weapon from 1945 / 1944 you´re a lucky guy.

...hmm... buy a m14 !!!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Get a Springfield Scout Squad M1A.....................add a Sage SOCOM stock and a EOTECH 553. Get 10 mags, and a few cans of ammo....and you are ready for anything my friend.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have a m14 and I can say that it's one of the most all around utilitarian weapons I've owned so far. It's rugged and dependable. The ammo for it is cheap and then gun itself is pretty easy to clean/maintain. One thing I'd reccomend is that you make sure you don't get the law enforcement variant because it doesn't allow for a rail mounted scope. You have to use a b square mount and it just isn't that good. Anyway that's my two cents.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Nah, it's not that old, but then again, a bolt action rifle is a bolt action rifle. Not much you can do to improve the design.

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
too old??? maybe you missed this baby!

the m14-socom... yeah baby. you can add lots of stuff to this mama!
if i´d ever buy a m14 variant at all, then this one.

somewhat perfect:

i105.photobucket.com...

that m1 squad variant seems to be also very interesting!

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

That is my next choice.I wound up buying an Armalite AR10 A4 SPR flat top w/detachable hanlde/sights w/a Trijicon TAO1B Scope. Sounds like an add,LOL.

It was that or the Springfield SOCOM which is hot. I'm gonna buy it for my son when he turns 18. Question.: The mags are interchangeble correct. I know the M1/M14 mags wont lock into my AR because the AR has a notch in the side but my Armalite mag will fit the M1/M14 because it locks from the rear of the mag.

We are talking survival so I want any of our guns to have interchangeble mags.Armalite makes a new 25 rd mag and Beta C-Mag makes a 100 rd twin drum they say can stay loaded indefinately cause of no springs . Never tried the mag though so can't tell ya.

Have a pretty big family and a bunch of boys so have a good squad. Plus teach the girls to shoot as backup with a Barrret .50cal so they're not close to the action. Pretty sure we'll manage.

As stated though it's personal feel and preference. I personally wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any of them.If you know anyone w'one,ask to try it out.

The AR10/SPringfield Socom platforms give you the opurtunity to obey the law and keep low rd mags and the capability to adapt to larger ones for emergency survival situations.

Only advantage I see of Ar over springfield is you can change to telescopic stock for different lengths. Never had a problem. Love my AR10.
This is my rifle,this is my gun,one is for killing ,one is for fun.

[edit on 23-3-2008 by 19DCW71]

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 19DCW71

The Armalite AR-10 is a great choice. Also, all M14/M1A mags do interchange. So no problems there. The SOCOM II is a neat rifle, but I had to swap out the barrel with a Smith Enterprise 18" when I got my AAC suppressor for it. The SOCOM has a fixed muzzle brake from the factory. So in the end I should have bought the Scout Squad....but the damn SOCOM looks so cool I could not help myself! I wish Armalite, Knights, DPMS and so on would have all used the same mag! Preferably the Knights SR-25 mag....but Oh well.....at least the mags are getting cheaper even if ammo is through the roof.......keep your powder dry......semper fi

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I own a M1 Garand. I also have two 1903 Springfields. They too are fine rifles. I like the M1A and also the M14. I just dont care to spend that kind of money and also restock ammunition for a different caliber.
Of these rifles I enjoy shooting the 1903 Springfields the best. They seem to be slightly more accurate than the Garand. I am not taking anything away from the Garand or Garand fans here. I just seem to be able to run better groups with the Bolt action Springfields.

Oh..by the way METACOMET..With the M1 Garand..if you want to empty out the enblock 8 round clip..with 8 rounds or any number in between 8 and Zero...you just pull back the bolt and hit the button/lever bar on the left side..it will eject the enblock clip and you then insert another. Not much different from changing a magazine.

Also for you hunters out there...they make five round enblock and also two round enblock clips for this rifle. This meets both hunting requirements and certain requirements of target matches and qualifying.
If you are sufficiently skillful with metal you can form your own from the standard 8 round enblock clips.

Some of you are correct here ...the rifle is heavy compared to todays tools. No doubt about its potency. There is one advantage to todays Garands if you want to spend the moneys ..they are available in .308 caliber. This is a great option. I just happen to like the 30.06.
And for you reloaders both calibers offer a generous selection of bullet types and weights. Another great feature for those with the know how and ability to take advantage of these calibers.

By the way...I wonder if some of you have noticed at the gun shows of late??
Seems to me that Garands, M1As, and also 1903 Springfields are going for premium prices of late. These prices seem to be noticably going up. How about some of you ..have you noticed?? Curious here.

By the way..another opinion...the Mauser 98 in 8mmx57...I think this is a very good and ruggedly built rifle. Also sufficiently powerful in skilled hands. I almost bought one of the Yugoslavian ones from Mitchells Mausers but decided I did not want to spend the moneys on stocking up another caliber. However ..this caliber 8MMx57 is very potent and capable of power close to the 30.06 ..especially when properly reloaded.

It was the same with my desire for a FN/FAL rifle. I did not want to stock up on another caliber and the tools to reload. This too, I think, is a fine rifle.

Someone else made a comment about a rifle..any rifle. It depends mostly on what you are comfortable and experienced in using. All the fancy hardware means nothing if you are not comfortable and skilled in the use of such a tool. I agree. All this fancy schmancy tosterone means nothing if you are not skilled with the tool. Any tool.

Of the magazine fed variety like the M14/M1A rifles one of the best I have seen is a rifle made in Italy..called a BM59 in caliber .308. It is built on the Garand action but they go for very very premium prices if you can even find one now days. It is the first rifle I have seen which comes with a winter trigger. These rifles are more rare than the M1A/M14. Also very ruggedly made. Not taking anything away from the M1A/M14 fans here.

Oh..and someone mentioned the Lee Enfield. I think this is a great rifle too and proven by the test of time. And even better than the .303 caliber ..this rifle today is also available in .308 caliber. To me this is an improvement in this rifle. Not that the .303 was impotent. Not so..it is just that it brings it up to more modern ammunition availability. The ten round magazine does not hurt this rifle at all. This rifle is also known for being a very fast bolt action in its ability to bring another round to the chamber.
Once again this rifle in .308 has the abililty to take advantage of a wide bullet weight and selection for reloaders..a huge plus.

Well..that is my $.02.

Thanks to all and keep them in the X ring.

Orangetom

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
When it comes to distance, I use a Remington Model 700 bolt action w/Bushnell scope, chambered for .308. (heavy barrel) For close-in work, I have my UZI, 9MM, and my sidearm is a Walther PPK 9MM. If it really gets scary, I have a Mossberg 12 GA pump, (5 rounds) OObuck to use as a street sweeper. Pistol grip, and the shortest legal barrel. Doc

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
For Canadians the obvious choice for a rifle is the CZ-858, which is a non-restricted version of the VZ-58. You can buy parts kits and all the goodies you want for it, it shoots the same cartridge as the AK-47 (which can be bought surplus for very cheap) and it is a rock solid reliable weapon that is very light and accurate. You can add any kind of scope or holographic optics to it you want, either with a side-mount SKS style or a scout mount on the gas cover.

Speaking of the SKS, since they are extremely cheap and reliable and also take the same cartridge, a few of them around make for excellent backups to the CZ-858.

AR's are nice but they are very pricey, .223 ammo is totally ridiculous to buy in Canada, and they are restricted so you can only take them to a range until the zombies come.

Here is my 12 year old son firing my CZ-858, he loves it and even with iron sights it is easy to be accurate with it:

img369.imageshack.us...

It may not be a moose rifle but for any other kind of game it would make a great hunting gun as well.

Edited to add: For a shotgun here in Canada we have a real advantage over the Yanks, too - we can buy Chinese clones of various models that are extremely high quality and very snazzy in ways the Americans can't have. For example my Grizzly 12 guage is a perfect Remington 870 clone with a 12.5" barrel. Toss a picatinny rail/side carrier on there for $25 off Ebay, and a holo+laser optic setup (also $25 off Ebay) and you have the perfect zombie gun.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by KaiBosh]

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Nice range setup.

Yours or a club?

Roper

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
Nice range setup.

Yours or a club?

Roper

It is a local range, I had to become a member anyway in order to transfer restricted firearms into my name. It is a pain to find places to plink anyway, so I don't mind going there. There is still 2 feet of snow to trudge through to get to your target though! (that was just a couple of days ago)

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm in the same boat as TXMACHINEGNLDR. The M1A Scout squad or Socom 16 are great choices. The Garand will be too cumbersome but that's about it. Great Rifle.

We had another thread going similar to this that may be helpful.
Assault Rifle or Battle Rifle. What to bring with you in SitX

The AR type rifle are good rifles in their modern form. No doubt about it. The AR-10's are great guns too. If you are going to go battle rifle I say Socom 16 or Scout Squad, better get them quick too cuz the US army are scooping them ALL up and sending them to Afghanistan due to the longer ranges in the open.

If you live in an sub-urban area you should look into an AK or even an SKS. the heavier 7.62 Combloc round penetrates better than civilian available 5.56 (.223 if you would).

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiBosh

Very interesting. I Don't want the hassle of a restricted rifle at the moment and if thats non restricted thats a very tantalizing choice. How much does CZ-858 go for? My budgets a little on the weaker side at the moment, and so think all those socom variations are out too. Very cool though, that garand was really interesting.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It seems funny that so many survivalists are focused on which cannon to buy. What are you guys expecting to do... fight a war?

In a survival situation, or a bug out situation when you need to move fast, do you really want to wear yourself down carrying heavy artillery, and the ammo to feed it? Whew. Try packing that kind of weight around for a few days, along with enough food and water for the month or two it takes for things to shake out.

I like an M-14 for fixed base operations but in an absolute necessity, must do situation, your focus should be on using stealth, concealment, and the element of surprise using brainpower instead of firepower.

A long-barreled Ruger target pistol (or an AR-7 survival rifle) is ideal. It's concealable, can be carried in the trunk of your car, has the advantage of ammo that's readily available, light weight, and it's very very accurate for most close-in encounters up to 100m+.

When properly used, this small caliber weapon is more than adequate to secure yourself and whatever else you might want, or need to take away from somebody who has it, and in dealing with those not as alert, or as clever, as you hope you will be.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by swami don
It seems funny that so many survivalists are focused on which cannon to buy. What are you guys expecting to do... fight a war?

If you take a little time and read more threads you will see that we talk about all aspects of survival and preparedness. In this world the need to be armed cannot be over looked.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here is what I know. At wolverine Supplies you can get a M305 Polytech-Norinco for 459.95 and it has the black synthetic stock, sling, 2 mags (5 rd). Great deal. A M1 if You find one (they are like finding a needle in a haystack) go well into 900-1800 or more. In the end ask yourself what it is you want?

I would recommend if your looking for more of a non restricted black rifle, something like a Roberston Arms XCR. They are available in 6.8 , .223 , 7.62X39. This year they are coming out with a XCR-L or M that is .308 and its related cartridges like a 7mm08 etc... By the way they are NON-restricted and have 5 rd mags. Downside is they go for 2200 depends at Wolverine. But it is a Brand new rife. The AR's are in Prohibited class some few in restricted, the Steyr Aug's are Prohibited. 10-22 25 rd Mags are now Prohibited devices.

H&K make the SL8 in .223 it is non restricted and is a black rifle. Neat looking gun. 5 rd mags but the mags are pricy.

Think about what your budget is. right now the Poly M305 is a great deal!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
reply to post by Nailer

No damned way the Garand shoulder breaker is going to be as accurate than the M1A/M14 platform without major work much less more accurate. I own a Garand and it shoots bigger groups than my SKS with even match grade surplus ammo.

Want a good fun gun, get a Saiga or Vepr chambered in 7.62 NATO. They're about half the price of the M1A and they make a ton of aftermarket stuff that will fit them including match grade triggers.

What ?!?!

The M1 Garand is a pussycat. it's so heavy and couples with the gas system it has hardly any recoil. My kids shot mine when they were 10 years old. seriously. Have you ever shot one?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
So the M14 is legal there but your not sure about the M1A?

Pretty much the same gun except the M14 has full auto capability which is worthless

The M1A is a M14 that fires only in semi-auto mode

If the M14 is legal surely the M1A is legal.

And having both I have to say loading the M1 Garand is a pain, The M1A box magazines are MUCH easier and you get 20 round mags instead of just 8 rounds in the Garand.

Recoil is close to the same unless you get one of the SOCOM M1A's that have the shorter barrel and lighter synthetic stock.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join