It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salt may hold evidence of life on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Salt may hold evidence of life on Mars

www.news.com.au

US scientists have discovered salt deposits on the surface of Mars, indicating water was once plentiful and pointing to sites that could provide evidence of past life, a new study says.'
_________

They discovered some 200 separate salt deposits in the southern hemisphere of Mars and at mid to low-level latitudes in terrain the scientists described as ancient and heavily cratered.

"Many of the deposits lie in basins with channels leading into them,'' said journal co-author Philip Christensen from the University of Arizona.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The deposits appear to be disconnected, so "we don't think they all came from one big, global body of surface water,'' she said.
Instead "they could come from groundwater reaching the surface in low spots. The water would evaporate and leave mineral deposits, which build up over years,'' she said.

Well this is very interesting. Reports of potential life due to finding salt as well as the claim that it points to underground water reserves.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

It's interesting, because I recall another recent news release that claimed that ancient Mars was likely TOO salty to sustain life!

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico

It's interesting, because I recall another recent news release that claimed that ancient Mars was likely TOO salty to sustain life!

that does sound odd. I missed seeing that article. Interesting how different scientists have different theories.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Here's the thread that mentioned the "Mars too salty" theory if you're interested.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

I hadn't read that, but one need only look at the Dead Sea to understand that thought.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by US Monitor

Actually, microscopic organisms can, miraculously, live in the sea.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Wow, it would seem that "scientists" have been quite busy lately with this revelation and another recent one about Methane Gas on Mars? (Martian Bovines?)

And now this:

news.yahoo.com...

Possible ocean on one of Saturn's moons.

Kowabunga.........Me thinks my longboard might fit in the Shuttle's
Cargo Bay. But I suppose the Shuttle can't quite go that far.
Perhaps adding wood paneling down both sides would help.

regards....kk

[edit on 20-3-2008 by kinda kurious]

[edit on 20-3-2008 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Turning the shuttle into a 'Woody', with surf boards strapped on... love it!

Don't forget Annette, or Gidget!!!

Yup, if there's salt out there, it won't be long before humans start
arguing over the mining rights; then fighting over the rights; then all-out
war for the rights!

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of saa alt ".

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Martians are full of #. They've been running our world for a thousand years, and they have no idea what to do with it. If I were a Martian I would blow up my own planet considering they all look like a bunch of yeti looking bastards. The salt is just a trick. It's just something the Martians put there to make us wonder again and again if there's life out in the universe. The truth is, we're all surrounded by the craziest bunch of aliens you could imagine. They all want this planet for it's resources, and they have battled for a million years for this world. That's why every so often some kind of crazy disaster happens and the Earth War is at a stalemate for a while. "God" and "Buddha" and "Odin" etc. have battled for our mindthoughts and make us doublethink our way through life. There is only one truth. Believe in yourself, and you will win the battle. Positive energy is on the way in great numbers. We are waking up people, and it's time to secrete the positive energy to destroy the darkness.

new topics

top topics

join