It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey: Should we be allowed to have guns?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Read this CNN article about an incident that happened in California - where it is basically impossible to get a CCW permit.

CNN Article

WEST COVINA, California (AP) -- A woman was asking a 911 dispatcher for help when her pleas were interrupted by gunshots, then silence. She was shot to death.

The woman told the dispatcher someone was trying to break into her home in upscale West Covina, Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Dan Rosenberg said.

"Deputies heard gunshots followed by silence and an open phone line," he said.

Deputies arrived at the house, 20 miles east of Los Angeles, a few minutes after Wednesday's late morning call.

The woman, whose name was not released by police, had been shot several times. Paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene.

"At this point we believe it was a burglary gone awry," Rosenberg said.

Those of us law abiding citizens that have taken the steps necessary to legally own firearms have done it simply to keep from being victims like the woman in this tragic incident.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I believe that we should be allowed to have guns. If we guns are banned in the US criminals will discover another way to kill people. We should be allowed to have guns also, so, that if the government becomes too powerful, that we can rebel. If they take away guns they take away our chance to rebel against them.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Statistics prove that violent crime in the US is much higher in the areas with the strictest gun laws.

My brother went to Texas when he joined the Army, after growing up here in NY. He joked with me about how people there didn't even know what a car-jacking was, while back in NY kids were learning how to drive in a car-jack.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Personally I would never own one. I don't live in area or live a lifestyle such that I would need one. But I suppose if the government can have them so should the people.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm Canadian and trust me there are a lot of 'libertarian' type people up this way as well. It is not as easy for us to own firearms, especially restricted stuff like AR-15's and handguns, but for now we are holding our own in the battle against the ridiculous gun control measures that the UN pushes on the member nations. What happened in the UK and Australia must NEVER happen here in North America.

Here are a couple of thought provoking links:

www.libertyforall.net...

www.jpfo.org...

www.ldnews.com...

www.scragged.com...

www.amconmag.com...

[edit on 21-3-2008 by KaiBosh]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
What part of "Shall not be infringed" don't you understand gun banners?

I completely believe we should be able to aquire all sorts of firearms, I am more reserved to automatic and explosive weapons though but I think they should be available on special license, so it would be a priviledge to own heavy weapons, all weapons the military is allowed to have as well...

Besides NBC weapons ofcourse, not even the Army deserves such weapons in it's arsenal IMO.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think a better question is should we grant the government the ability to regulate our guns?

I don't believe, as an American, that I am given permission by the government to do anything. As our founding fathers intended, the government gets permission from us.

A small, but very important distinction.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
We have every right to bear arms, and much much more. We are not granted rights, they are simply taken away through tactics of fear and oppression, cultivated through culture. I'm an individualist, we determine our own thoughts and actions, we don't necessarily have to stay within our strict cultural guidelines, though there are some guidelines that do make sense. I was raised by an anthropologist who taught me about all sorts of different cultures and rule sets. It is clear to see that many of our restrictions are arbitrary, and that we have every right to break free of restrictive systems of thought. We have inherent rights as free acting entities on a diverse planet.

After very recently acquiring my first firearm, I can say that my feelings changed once I got one. Before having one, I always thought it would be something good to have for various reasons, but there was some resistance to the idea of actually owning one due to the anti-gun culture. In other words, I felt guilty for wanting one, and guilty for buying one. I was annoyed that a background check had to be done, I'm not a criminal and it is nobodies business but mine. Getting the background check makes you FEEL like a criminal. Why should I get permission before being able to own a handgun? Why should I register it afterwards?

Now that I actually went through the process and I own a long gun (ran out of money to get a hand gun, because I don't see a point unless you go all the way through the carry permit process), I would never give it up, ever. All the feelings of guilt went away, and a feeling of empowerment replaced them. Everyone should exercise their 'rights' before the PTB further erode them. You will be happier and come to some realizations once you do. You anti-gun people are the first ones I recommend to go get a long gun, and learn how to use it. Your feelings will change about them, you will realize that YOU are the one controlling the gun, that it is not the gun controlling you. Break free of the conditioning you are under.

I agree with the people who said we should be able to bear the same arms as our military. I think open/concealed carry should be an inherent right, not something you must go through a permit process for (though it would be nice if the person carrying was well educated and knew how to handle their arm, in THAT sense I see value in the permit process.)

[edit on 21-3-2008 by Ionized]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
www.initiative-gegen-die-todesstrafe.de...

tbh, as long as you stay where you are with your guns and shoot people up "guilty or not" in your own country, it's sad to me, but i don't really care too much. i'd just liked to point out that there are many countrys on this planet, which have guns banned for a long time in general, and are very secure and stable without them. i've never heard a gunshot in my life, and i've never heard someone got shot where i live. some european countrys have up to 6 times less homicides than the united states... but of course most of you don't care, since you need something to give your paranoid mind a rest, and shooting people up doesn't seem to be a big deal for you. maybe read the bible again, if you're christian...

[edit on 21-3-2008 by hackbart]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hackbart

Just about the sort of response I'd expect from a "continent" where the sheeple led other sheeple and allowed themselves to be led off to the gas chambers without hardly a peep of protest or resistance.

So, how's the arabic class working out?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Yes.

They could be our last hope against an oppressive regime ruling with martial law.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by SamuraiDrifter]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Did you happen to notice that the only cities in the US that are plagued by crimes with firearms, are the ones where guns are illegal?

EDIT to add: And I notice that Switzerland isn't on your little chart there. They have a higher per-capita rate of gun ownership than the US, and virtually no gun crime.

[edit on 3/21/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Indeed, it bothers me that most people here list their thinking as needing protection from criminals et al. Our right to bear arms, first and foremost, is there to protect us from our own government in times of abuse and corruption. And make no mistake, our government has used force and even deadly force, against strikes, marches, and student protests, through all of our american history. Hold tight to your gun, and hold tight to your rights, for they are all under assault right now. Unfortunately it wont be until they are all long gone that the americans will decide that its time to fight to take them back....and by then most likely the battle will already be lost.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Gun control laws are unconstitutional. Anyone who can legally purchase a firearm should go out and do so within the next couple of years.

If none of us had guns we would be that much easier to control. You know Hitler was all about gun control. Look at how well it worked for him.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." -Adolf Hitler, 1935

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the supply of arms to the underdogs is a sine qua non for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or native police. German troops alone will bear the sole responsibility for the maintenance of law and order throughout the occupied Russian territories, and a system of military strong-points must be evolved to cover the entire occupied country." -Adolf Hitler, 1942

"I ask sir, who is the militia? It is the whole people...To disarm the people, that is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." - George Mason

"Guard with jeolous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Patrick Henry

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword because the whole body of people are armed and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States..." -Noah Webster

"...Arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The balance of power is the scale of peace." -Thomas Paine

"Americans [have] the right and advantage of being armed -- unlike citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust people with arms." -James Madison

See a pattern there?

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I would also like to clarify my position on licensing. I do believe that a person should be licensed to show proficiency with different sorts of firearms, but I am against the registration of the weapons themselves. For example, if you are licensed to carry an semi-automatic pistol with up to a 20-round capacity, you should not have to report how many or exactly what models you own, so long as they are within the criteria of your licensed proficiency.

Furthermore, I do not believe that single-action long guns should require any licensing whatsoever, but proficiency courses should be offered to all those that are interested. This would get people out to the range to interact with other gun owners who could sort of "self-police" eachother.

[edit on 3/21/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
as i said, *snip*. you'll learn your leasson sooner or later. go out shoot somebody, get shot, play around with you guns, feel good about it, nvm. i'd just liked to point out that you have unbelieveable high rate of homicides, which is related mostly to your gun laws. but common sense is way beyond you, as long as you can keep playing cowboys.

and you can't do anything, if your goverment decides to get rid of it's rebellian citizens. (what a rediculous argument that is) stop dreaming around like your 12, and make a reality check. their weapons are far beyond simple guns. so in order to protect yourself from your goverment you would need tanks, artillery, missiles, chemical weapons, or whatever. but wait, this is the next step. american citizens are going to get tanks and wmd's, because violence is THE ULTIMATE answer!

i wish you the best, really! you pay a high price for your paranoia.

also, maybe, just maybe try to keep your goverment in check by electing the right party/people.

now flame on kids...

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Just about the sort of response I'd expect from a "continent" where the sheeple led other sheeple and allowed themselves to be led off to the gas chambers without hardly a peep of protest or resistance.

So, how's the arabic class working out?

be carefull with that kind of comment, and look what crimes your actual goverment is responsible for in TODAYS world. my opinion is based on fact, yours on uneducated nonsense...

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Be careful? Is that meant to be some kind of threat from a "euro-pacifist-appeaser" type? What an oxymoron that would be!

No, my naive, young "friend". I have the lessons of history behind me. Not some leftist-inspired drivel such as they teach at many of the so-called "universities" these days.

Speaking of that, you never answered me on how your arabic classes were coming along as you prepare to bow down to your next master.

People like this are exactly why the rest of us need to arm and protect ourselves.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Be careful? Is that meant to be some kind of threat from a "euro-pacifist-appeaser" type? What an oxymoron that would be!

No, my naive, young "friend". I have the lessons of history behind me. Not some leftist-inspired drivel such as they teach at many of the so-called "universities" these days.

Speaking of that, you never answered me on how your arabic classes were coming along as you prepare to bow down to your next master.

People like this are exactly why the rest of us need to arm and protect ourselves.

*careface*

and stupid questions won't get an answer. welcome to my ignorelist!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join