It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air New Zealand exploits cheap labour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
www.nzherald.co.nz...[/ur l]

On the eve of the signing of a new free trade agreement between new Zealand and China questions have arisen whether the new Zealand Government will protect the jobs and human rights of resident kiwis.

The mostly Government owned airline is already hiring Chinese flight attendants at exploitative wage rates and sacked one who raised concerns.

I strongly urge people who care about human rights abuses to boycott flying with Air New Zealand. Especially their service from Beijing.

www.nzherald.co.nz...]

and this link (if it works ?)

[url=http://nz.news.yahoo.com/080317/3/4hrl.html]http://nz.news.yahoo.com/080317/3/4hrl.html

home.nzcity.co.nz...,nwl

try this:

tvnz.co.nz...

Sorry these links aren't working well...

[edit on 19-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Shocked and suprised at the New Zealand government.

Bad, bad, bad

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Hey I like your avatar. I really enjoy the Bourne movies.

Well I think it stinks because this is a country with a holier than thou attitude on the world stage, which tries to take the moral high ground and then does something like this.

The equivalent would be if USA started employing Mexicans at a fifth of the wages on US airlines.

It's an attack on your own country by your own elected officials.

I guess that's why Americans aren't impressed by NAFTA.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by sy.gunson]

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Hey I like your avatar. I really enjoy the Bourne movies.

The first is the best.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I notice that one people buy clothes or other items from say The Warehouse they don't complain about what factory workers get paid in China.

It was bad enough when the government had a go at Air New Zealand for transporting Diggers to Iraq. Unless NZ labour laws have been broken there is no issue here .

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Well the whole point is that from the 8th of April, the PM signs a trade agreement that we Kiwis have not been allowed to read and we just have to take it on trust that it will not allow exploitation of cheap labour.

Yeah the first Bourne movie is still the best... with you there brother.

posted on Mar, 21 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
China has built it whole economy on cheap labour . China wouldn't blink if we backed out of signing the FTA. After all we would continue buy there imported goods without access to the worlds largest population in return. The government is staying quite on the deal because they want to keep down the level of opposition from the Greens and from people who would have us shoot ourselves in the foot .

I dislike some of the goings on in China.

But don't you think it would be hypercritically for me to speak out against China when the clothes I am wearing and the chair I am sitting on is made in that country ?

[edit on 21-3-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Everyone exploits cheap labor. I fail to see why this is news. Help me out.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Yes, i agree dk3000 i cant see the news story in this either. Many countries exploit cheap chinese labour everyday. Look at Australia, and QANTAS which now also used cheap labour to fix its planes, and I'm sure they are not the only airline that does this.

Lots of people complain about the cheap use of chinese labour, but its hard to avoid, look at the clothes you are now wearing, its most likely made in china.

new topics

top topics

join