It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney makes surprise visit to Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Cheney makes surprise visit to Iraq

www.breitbart.com

US Vice President Dick Cheney swept into Baghdad on an unannounced visit Monday, looking to highlight security gains and promote elusive political progress days before the war enters its sixth year.
Minutes after he arrived, an explosion rocked central Baghdad, following a roadside bombing that killed a policeman, underscoring the violence that still grips the nation almost five years after the US-led invasion of Iraq.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bush, Cheney, oil companies & gas prices
Old Footage Of Dick Cheney Saying Occupying Iraq Would Be A Quagmire
Bush-Cheney Iraq War Planned BEFORE 911
WAR: Cheney: Iraq War to End by 2009

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Where is the conspiracy you may ask?

Right here:

A senior administration official told reporters accompanying Cheney that the vice president would tell the Iraqis "they need to continue to show some progress" on legislation seen as key to defusing sectarian strife.

Those laws include an oil-revenue sharing measure; a law setting out provincial government powers; and one covering elections that the US official said were expected to take place October 1.

Cheney is attempting to pass an oil-revenue sharing law. What I'm assuming that means is that foreign oil companies (including our own) will profit off of Iraqi oil even after the Iraqis have taken back control of their oil fields.

This was the plan all along. To build a pipeline through Afghanistan.

The conflict has claimed nearly 4,000 US lives and cost -- by the Pentagon's conservative estimate -- upwards of 400 billion dollars.

Most of that money has gone to feed the Military-Industrial Complex and line the oil barons pockets with green.

The soldiers who come back injured mentally or physically have received sub-par treatment and deserve much better.

When will our troops come home?

And of course Cheney had to go there:

Beyond Iraq, the vice president's mission aimed to help revive the battered peace process and convince Arab allies like Saudi Arabia to do more to help curb regional powerhouse Iran's influence in Iraq.

Yes Iran is the "problem child" in this equation. Could it be that the West is occupying Middle Eastern nations without the residents permission and this pisses off everyone else around?

Or maybe our support for Israel has steadily angered the entire globe?

Iraq was never about freeing the Iraqi people. George Bush doesn't give a # about the Iraqis. The war was never about WMDs either.

We sold Saddam Hussein chemical weapons to go to war with Iran and bomb innocent civilians.

US, Iraq go way back

How did Iraq get its weapons? We sold them

To deny our main reasons for being in Iraq: Oil and Israel, is to deny reality.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/17/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I guess his visit wasn't much of a surprise after all, eh?

VIDEO: Cheney's surprise visit to Iraq all about the oil fields

Video Caption:

From the related New York Times link: According to a pool report of comments made by a senior administration official who was flying with Mr. Cheney, the vice president plans, among other things, to push Iraqi officials to pass petroleum legislation that would help bring international oil companies to Iraq.

The truth has finally come out.

Iraq wasn't about freedom, but about profit.

Wake the # up America!!!

You're asleep.

[edit on 3/17/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In a related query: I am of the opinion that some of these suprise visits over the years have been with faster than standard Boeing governmental aircraft. I am not saying this trip was but whenever I see Condi or Rummy pop up over there I have to wonder if they aren't hopping rides in military aircraft like the Exalted Czar Bush did for the Victory / Mission Accomplished landing.

Does anyone else think the Stealth planes or sramjets take along "dignitaries"? Expensive taxi.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
And what else is he doing while he's there...rewriting history of course:

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Oil sharing between Shia, Sunni, Kurds- not oil sharing between Iraqis and the US. One must read things with a bit of objectivity from time to time, to avoid preconceptions.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
To me it appears to be a trip that supports his campaign for prez and an attept to add credibility to his threats. This is all paid for by tax dollars.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Its pretty straight forward to me. "Oil-revenue sharing" involves the Iraqis as well as outside companies.

Yes, revenue sharing is there-essentially in fine print, essentially trivial. The bill is long and complex, it has been years in the making, and its primary purpose is transformational in scope: a radical and wholesale reconstruction-virtual privatization-of the currently nationalized Iraqi oil industry.

If passed, the law will make available to Exxon/Mobil, Chevron/Texaco, BP/Amoco, and Royal Dutch/Shell about 4/5's of the stupendous petroleum reserves in Iraq.

If the Iraqis get revenue sharing, Exxon gets their oil

Oil revenue sharing

Check this bull# out: Cheney says high oil price reflects market reality

Yeah if you are the ones rigging the supply and demand, sure.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Did you even bother to watch the video I posted? I quoted Breitbart:

the vice president plans, among other things, to push Iraqi officials to pass petroleum legislation that would help bring international oil companies to Iraq.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
On a lighter but nonetheless serious note, John Stewart on the Daily Show did a wonderful parody of all these surprise visits a few weeks back, comparing the way the US honchos come in by stealth, under cover of night, wearing flak jackets, and how Iranian Pres. Ahmadinejad flew on an announced schedule into Baghdad airport and was received in broad daylight with an honor guard, a red carpet and a little girl bearing flowers.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Guess who else is in Iraq?

VIDEO: MCCAIN TRIP TO IRAQ DESIGNED TO EMPHASIZE FOREIGN POLICY CREDENTIALS

Look, no bulletproof vest! What an American hero.

Also on a related note, Bomb kills 39 in Iraq

This is the attack the OP mentioned and of course Cheney had to say something stupid:

The violence came as Vice President Dick Cheney and Arizona Sen. John McCain made overlapping visits to the capital, touting recent security gains and promising to uphold a long-term military commitment to the country so long as al-Qaida in Iraq is not defeated.

Explosions also struck earlier Monday not far from Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone, shortly after Cheney arrived. Helicopter gunships circled central Baghdad, but no other details were immediately available on the cause of the explosions.

These people really have lost it.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Will he stop off at Dubai and see Halliberton World Headquarters?

He can have all the soldiers and government behind him or next to him,
he still bores me.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
He is stopping in Oman, Saudi Arabia, Israel, the West Bank, and Turkey. I'm sure he will stop over in Dubai for a check or a few thousand barrels of oil.

He isn't the most interesting person in the world, you're right. Nonetheless, he holds immense power and is really the "power behind the throne" so to speak.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Nothing seems to help that place.

How much longer until we reach Nam figures in time and lives.

Nixon wore out his welcome... what good did it do him being backed by Nazis.

He was so used and used America.

I never did get how he got a second term.

Educate America to be smart as a whip conspiracy hounds and
demand straight out news and government action.

American Conspiracy Educational Initiative funded by Rocky and Redshield.

Rocky G. and and Woody Redshield.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I just want those lying clowns gone.

Surprise!! Like he could make any other kind of announced visit?

Too bad Iraq couldnt be tipped off as to those surprises.

On with the evil agenda.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It's when the NWO operatives (Cheney, Bush etc.) are OPENLY making moves on massive power grabs that we should be concerned. They have no reason to fear exposure anymore... they are ready to start wars and plant massive stakes at any moment and are no longer afraid to hide this from the public.

Stories like this are just minor acknowledgements to acclimate us to the process.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

IN RELATED NEWS...

3/9/08

Senate Committee Seeks Audit of Iraq Oil Money

Two senior members of the Senate Armed Services Committee have requested a full accounting of how Iraq is spending its soaring oil revenue, amid starkly conflicting estimates of how much the country has invested in rebuilding its broken infrastructure and providing basic services to its citizens.

The request, sent Friday to David M. Walker, the top official at the United States Government Accountability Office, estimates that Iraqi oil revenue could skyrocket above $56 billion in 2008...

Well that's a decent amount of cash they're making, where is all that going?

Despite the dire need for better health care, more electricity and clean water, a functioning sewage system and other services, the accountability office has previously estimated that Iraq spent only 22 percent of the oil money set aside for reconstruction in 2006. And in January, the office, which is charged with overseeing the Iraqi government’s finances, reported that Iraq had spent a meager 4.4 percent of its 2007 reconstruction budget by August of that year, the most recent figures available at the time.

Oh, really? So wait, let me get this straight..

As a result, the letter from the Armed Services Committee says, “we believe that it has been overwhelmingly U.S. taxpayer money that has funded Iraq reconstruction over the last five years, despite Iraq earning billions of dollars in oil revenue over that time period that have ended up in non-Iraqi banks.”

www.nytimes.com

We've been footing the bill for 5 years, and Iraqis still can't flip on a bathroom light to flush a toilet which probably doesn't work. Billions in non-Iraqi banks. Whoevers running this show, sure doesn't care how long it takes, or how many lives, whatever it takes to secure the strategic resources. Yea, we'll leave Iraq, as soon as all the OIL and POPPIES are gone.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Nothing seems to help that place.

How much longer until we reach Nam figures in time and lives.

The surge has been pretty helpful, as Al Anbar province is quiet, and was the worst place to be 1 year ago. As for how long till we reach Nam figures- well at the current rate(4000 KIA in 5 yrs) about 67 more years.
As for the stuff about Nixon, etc... I'm not really sure what you were trying to say there.

top topics

join