It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Cheney: Iraq War to End by 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
In a recent interview on Larry King Live, Vice President Dick Cheney stated the Iraqi insurgency is "in the last throes" and that America should expect an end to the War on Iraq by 2009. Vice President Dick Cheney also states that the war will see an end before the Bush administration leaves office.

www.cnn.com
In a wide-ranging interview Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," Cheney cited the recent push by Iraqi forces to crack down on insurgent activity in Baghdad and reports that the most-wanted terrorist leader, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, had been wounded.

The vice president said he expected the war would end during President Bush's second term, which ends in 2009.

"I think we may well have some kind of presence there over a period of time," Cheney said. "The level of activity that we see today from a military standpoint, I think, will clearly decline. I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cheney forcefully pushed the war on Iraq claiming that it was necessary to go to war because Iraq held stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons deemed 'Weapons of Mass Destruction'. Despite the fact that the former leader of Iraq, Saddam Hussein was captured, the regime was changed, UN inspectors still found no evidence of 'nuclear plan' in Iraq.

Dick Cheney states that he is 'absolutely convinced we did the right thing in Iraq.'

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I wanted to vote "no" on this article merely because of seeing Cheney's smirking fizog. But the more mature side of me won out and voted it up

If it was the right thing to do without the WMD's (Saddam's behaviour to his own people) then why didnt they push for that (safer) claim to start with? Oh yeah, thats right, its against the law. Regime change is illegal.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
2009?

thats a bloody friggin price to pay for some make beleive democracy....

Ill bet it wont last that long...its either going to spread or the US is going to pull out and leave a few bases there

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
subz
I regret illustrating Mr.Cheney's unphotogenical qualities on this article but now Vice President Cheney has elevated from the status of 'Politician' to 'Prophet' claiming that the war will end in four years, three years just before 2012.

Now that I think about it, what predictions have surfaced about the year 2009? Infinite, you know all about this NWO stuff.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
So the war will still be an issue in the next UK election?

There was enough bickering over it this time round, i was hoping it would all be over before the next one (2009).

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Wasn't "the war" in Iraq declared over a couple of years ago? ...

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
thematrix
I do remember hearing something along the lines of Bush pulling troops out of the region after the Saddam Hussein regime was toppled. But now, as we can see in the media, there has been a recent push for even more soldiers to be recruited into the deserts of Iraq in order to complete the 'War on Terrorism'.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice.. don't be fooled again.

There were no WMD in Iraq that were going ot be used againstthe US, contray to what Cheney said.

If the troops are not pulled out, can we put CHeany in jail for a few years? Becasue impeachment wouldn't really matter at that point.

Nothing more then an empty promise by a Man who is known to be a liar

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Yep. Here is Shrub in 2003 proclaiming the war over. It would be funny if it were not so tragic.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
So the War in Iraq will last longer than both WW2 and WW1? Right... Oh, i thought the war was over already? I might go down to the bookies and place a bet on how many Americans, Brits & Iraq's will be dead before by 2009.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
World War 2 started from September 1939, not December 7th 1941
If the Iraq War ends in 2009 it will be the same length as WW2.

Sorry, just a personal bugbear that Americans refer to WW2 starting in 1941.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
2009! I hate these people who say: "Let's go to war!" and "2009. Woo hoo!" because war is killing people. Would you send your son to die in Iraq? Would you send yourself to die in Iraq? Then is is right?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Technically "the war" was over a couple years ago. Meaning we switched from offensive to primarily defensive (with a few offensive raids here and there). The "war" was basically over with the fall of Baghdad. Not the job however. During that "mission accomplished" speech, I'm pretty sure I remember Bushy saying something to that affect, that there was still difficult work ahead (pretty sure he didn't expect it to be as bad as it has been though.)

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
2009? ooooo, only 4 more years of murder and upped gas prices.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

Originally posted by thematrix

Technically "the war" was over a couple years ago. Meaning we switched from offensive to primarily defensive (with a few offensive raids here and there). The "war" was basically over with the fall of Baghdad. Not the job however. During that "mission accomplished" speech, I'm pretty sure I remember Bushy saying something to that affect, that there was still difficult work ahead (pretty sure he didn't expect it to be as bad as it has been though.)

Let's not be victims of the "memory hole". What Bush said was wildly at odds with what has happened: steadily escalating violence and nearly 1500 more troops dead, not to mention countless civilians and Iraqi freedom fighters/terrorists.

Partial text of MISSION ACCOMPLISHED SPEECH:

"Admiral Kelly, Captain Card, officers and sailors of the USS Abraham Lincoln, my fellow Americans: Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed. And now our coalition is engaged in securing and reconstructing that country.

In this battle, we have fought for the cause of liberty, and for the peace of the world. Our nation and our coalition are proud of this accomplishment — yet it is you, the members of the United States military, who achieved it. Your courage — your willingness to face danger for your country and for each other — made this day possible. Because of you, our nation is more secure. Because of you, the tyrant has fallen, and Iraq is free.

Operation Iraqi Freedom was carried out with a combination of precision, and speed, and boldness the enemy did not expect, and the world had not seen before. From distant bases or ships at sea, we sent planes and missiles that could destroy an enemy division, or strike a single bunker. Marines and soldiers charged to Baghdad across 350 miles of hostile ground, in one of the swiftest advances of heavy arms in history. You have shown the world the skill and the might of the American Armed Forces.

This nation thanks all of the members of our coalition who joined in a noble cause. We thank the Armed Forces of the United Kingdom, Australia, and Poland... I have a special word for Secretary (Donald) Rumsfeld, for General (Tommy) Franks, and for all the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States: America is grateful for a job well done...

The character of our military through history — the daring of Normandy, the fierce courage of Iwo Jima, the decency and idealism that turned enemies into allies — is fully present in this generation. When Iraqi civilians looked into the faces of our servicemen and women, they saw strength, and kindness, and good will...

In the images of fallen statues, we have witnessed the arrival of a new era... Today, we have the greater power to free a nation by breaking a dangerous and aggressive regime. With new tactics and precision weapons, we can achieve military objectives without directing violence against civilians. No device of man can remove the tragedy from war. Yet it is a great advance when the guilty have far more to fear from war than the innocent.

In the images of celebrating Iraqis, we have also seen the ageless appeal of human freedom. Decades of lies and intimidation could not make the Iraqi people love their oppressors or desire their own enslavement...

We have difficult work to do in Iraq. We are bringing order to parts of that country that remain dangerous. We are pursuing and finding leaders of the old regime, who will be held to account for their crimes. We have begun the search for hidden chemical and biological weapons, and already know of hundreds of sites that will be investigated. We are helping to rebuild Iraq, where the dictator built palaces for himself, instead of hospitals and schools. And we will stand with the new leaders of Iraq as they establish a government of, by, and for the Iraqi people. The transition from dictatorship to democracy will take time, but it is worth every effort. Our coalition will stay until our work is done. And then we will leave — and we will leave behind a free Iraq.

The Battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11th, 2001, and still goes on. That terrible morning, 19 evil men — the shock troops of a hateful ideology — gave America and the civilized world a glimpse of their ambitions. They imagined, in the words of one terrorist, that September the 11th would be the "beginning of the end of America." By seeking to turn our cities into killing fields, terrorists and their allies believed that they could destroy this nation's resolve, and force our retreat from the world. They have failed."

Really, really scary in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join