It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Your Opinion, what is the best?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
If you plan to fight an army, you're screwed anyway, but if you just want to get by, a basic assortment of firarms won't hurt. Others will be armed whether you are or not.

I'm not talking about weapons to play Johnny Rambo with, all that will do is get you killed. If you're not a former combat soldier, your best bet is to keep a low profile. Defend yourself if you must.

[edit on 3/16/08 by LLoyd45]

Most of the combat soldiers, at least from this war and the last one, have recieved so many body destroying vaccinations that they will be in no shape to do anything anyway. Look at the state of the boys who went to Iraq War One. "Gulf War Syndrome", most likely from the anthrax vaccine, has decimated their ranks.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Best pistol Glock 34.

Best assault rifle ak-47.

Best long range rifle, I like the Rem 700, I would pick either .308, or .30-06.

Best Shotgun Rem 870, or Benelli.

I would get a Ruger 10/22 also.

Owning an ar-15 is beneficial also, I recommend a heavy barrel model with a good scope. I like the Leupold with the LR reticle, in concert with a laser range finder, you can make instant shots out to 500yd, with no scope adjusting.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by downtown436]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wilsonfrisk

you're right about that. It's a shame they've been used for guinea pigs like that. It's just the government's way of saying thanks for your service.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I fought in the war for 7 years and can tell you from personal experience that there are a lot of guys who are really f***ed up. There are a lot of factors which determine how and why they are how they are, however the most dominant of all of PTSD. Its a real culture shock, going from quiet and peaceful suburbia to the desert where JDAMs and gunfire are going off around you 24/7.

Usually its the grunts who get the most messed up. Spec Ops guys tend to fair better, even though they are doing more intense operations, their training mentally prepares them for it.

When I was in BUD/S I saw so many guys falling out (quitting) because they simply couldn't take it mentally. The physical part they could deal with, but it was the stress the instructors put us under (CONTINUOUSLY) that got to them in the long run. Standard combat units are not put through this type of psychological preparation in their training and therefore do not handle those types of situations as well. That is the primary reason for the high levels of PTSD in these units rotating back to the States.

[edit on 3/16/2008 by StarChild]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
best pistol : single or double action, modern steel revolver in calibers from .357 Magnum to .45 colt( 45 Colt is my preference)

any carbine length lever action rifle in the same caliber range( again my preference .45 colt)

Remington 870 12 gage

A .45 Colt pistol round fired from a modern rifle round will push a 255 gr bullet at 1600 fps and will be deadly out to 400 yards or more. The same bullet from a 6" Ruger revolver will put down any two legged varmints out to 200 yards.

These older style weapons are extremely reliable actions and will draw less attention from those folks who are apt to cooperate with the authorities/gun grabbers. When chambered in .357 Magnum, a strong load with a 180-200 grain bullet from a rifle can reach 2000fps and will be deadly out to 600 yards. Either weapon with a scope sight will be deadly at twice that range with practice.

On the cheap(er) side:

Any Taurus pistol above 9mm/.357 Magnum

The SKS

Any of the 870 import clones

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Thanks for starting this thread, OP. I had the same questions myself, only pertaining to handguns. I will not buy a 9mm, I am a big guy looking for a 40-45. For some reason I've always seen 9's as really poorly calibrated weapons, with many companies.

Anyway, I have been looking at Taurus, they seem reliable, but I'd like to know if spending a few extra bucks is worth the glock or other brand. I honestly want a desert eagle, nothing else, but lets look at possibilities.

So basically, should I just spring for the DE right away or start with a smaller 40 or 45? I am experienced with guns, just never owned one. Shotguns? Ehh, I love to shoot them, but owning one would be over doing it. I want a handgun simply for the fact that I recently became over-aware of the recent push to get rid of them in this country and the control they hang over our heads.

I guess off topic, but I am a passive-ist and never thought a person should own a gun, after all, they kill. But in this time when our economy is hurting and people are being put in jail without trial (check the fed res) I just want the insurance that we as Americans are able to protect ourselves.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Best pistol: Sig Sauer P226 or Glock 17. There is no need for .45 unless you can't aim or are shooting zombies or people on pcp, 9mm is optimal.

Best rifle: AK-47/74, although I am liking my new Sig 556 alot.

Best shotty: Remington 870 Express in 12ga.

Of course you going to want night sights on that pistol, lasers are for people who can't shoot, and a folding Knoxx stock for that 870.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
why do you need a gun? is someone trying to kill you or something? or do you want to kill someone? I never owned a gun and never will. And i'm fine without one. just trying to undertand the fascinations with guns. the number one killer in the world.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
why do you need a gun? is someone trying to kill you or something? or do you want to kill someone? I never owned a gun and never will. And i'm fine without one. just trying to undertand the fascinations with guns. the number one killer in the world.

Yes theyre called armed robbers, rapists, murderers etc. Good luck to your unarmed self, but why come into one of our threads and bash our hobby/ self defence rights? The number one killer in the world is lack of drinking water, malnutrition, cancer, then heart disease, then malaria; dont make crap up about gun muders.

The fascination with guns that we have arises from our ridiculous and totally moronic obsession with wanting to protect ourselves and our families. Oh how foolish and backwards of us.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I read mention of a Mossberg 500. I have one and no matter how clean I keep it it tends to jam up on me so much. It always has. I had a Glock 45 and did not like it at all. It may just be the 45 itself and have nothing to do with Glock. I had a Ruger P95 9MM and it was the best gun I ever had. It had a decocker with no safety which was very important to me. They are hard to find. I currently carry a Sig SP2340. Sig Sauer is a slightly pricey gun, but I love it. Light, it came with two sets of grips, decocker, no safety. It shoots .40 S&W and 357 SIG
If you can get your hands on some Black Talons, grab em. They don't make them anymore. I have a case and they do serious damage to whatever they go through.
Rifle wise, for an open shot I love my Savage 7 mag. It'll take a 300 - 400 yard shot with ease. Fairly inexpensive gun but lacks features.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

And no one is telling you that you have to buy a firearm. If you don't want one, don't buy one. It really is that simple. The rest of us simply choose to exercise our constitutional right to firearm ownership in order to protect ourselves and our families. Hopefully, none of us actually will ever need them.

Oh, and by the way, you're statistically almost five times more likely to die in a car accident in the United States than you are to be killed by someone using a gun.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I keep a forged shovel staked on all four corners of my land at all times.
I keep a meter long demolition bar at my front and back door.
I keep a baseball bat next to my bed.
I keep a hatchet in my back yard, stuck in a stump.

...I garden vegetables on my land.
...I am a carpenter.
...I slam home runs with tennis balls for my Labrador every morning.
...I cook outside on a wood stove.

And if you think you're going to rob me in my kitchen... watch out for the cleaver.

Anything is a weapon in the hands of a master. And this master does not leave his land; nor does he need a gun.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This will answer all your questions!

Courtesy of a zombie survival board whos name I can't mention.

But seriously, whatever you can afford.

Rifle: Anything chambered in 5.56mm/.223cal, preferably a gas-operated firearm like the AK-47 series.
Pistol: Springfield XD series should provide a good reliable and accurate weapon that is easilly disassembled and cleaned.
-Shotgun: Nothing wrong with a Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 but for a little extra dough you can get a nice 870, there are many cheaper alternatives as well.

I am a big fan of Hi-Point, they are affordable weapons which are accurate and reliable, the pistols are a tad large though and a bit top-heavy.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Yeah, but here's the thing: any attacker worth his salt is not going to give you a chance to fight back. Its not going to be a fair fight. If he's determined and smart, your odds of survival are practically zero, because you'll never know he's there. He'll just sit down and wait for you, not knowing he's there, to stick your head out the front door the next morning.

That's true if you have a gun or not.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Have you guys ever heard the expression "don't bring a knife to a gunfight"? In other words, you're outclassed and have no chance of winning.

Guns are ranged weapons, and no matter how good you might be with a shovel or a meat cleaver, the bad guy will blow you out of your sneakers before you ever get a chance to wield it. Remember criminals don't play by the rules, and they'll never ever give you a fair break.

They want something you have i.e. you're money, your possessions, your car, your wife, etc. You'll be of little use to yourself, or anyone else for that matter, if you're lying on the floor bleeding to death or already dead.

Let's assume you are a master of the meat cleaver, and can deflect bullets with the broad side of the blade.. Can your wife, girlfriend, child, or elder parents do that? If not, how should they defend themselves against an armed and determined attacker?

A gun will not gaurantee your survival, but it puts the odds more in your favor. Even a gun is useless though if you don't learn how to shoot it correctly and are oblivious to your surroundings.

[edit on 3/17/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Lets start by the knife:

Normal stainles steel survival knife!matches,vissing hooks....
$16.95

NEXT

Barreta 9mm, 15 rounds mag, one in the chamber!
Durible and law enforcement all over!
i shot of 700 rounds with one of these babies no jam!

NEXT

Remmington 1100
What can i say!

NEXT
The big daddy

Galil 5.56 or 7.65 mm, 650 rounds a minute, range 450 meters.
30 or 50 mag
Weight 30 pounds with magazine!
And the best of the baby is that it is accurate as Hell and a tripot!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
1.Colt 1911A1
good stopping power,reliable
2.Ak-47
reliable,powerful,easier to maintain the the ar/m16 series
3.mossberg 500
many options for stocks and other accessories

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

So it would seem that the colonists from the Revolutionary War would have done fine fighting the British without their rifles, right?? Please, with all due respect, the number one killer in the world is not the gun as it is an inanimate object. The number one killer would be human beings who use those guns for terrible acts. That type of rationale is what the political scum of this country use to take our guns away from us while they should be getting them out of the criminals hands who make law abiding gun owners look bad.

Anyway, back to topic....I own a Benelli M4 S/A shotgun! I would say it's the best but that is just my opinion. I am planning on purchasing a Remington Super Shorty as they are not really that expensive but the paperwork is what takes the time to get it. Oh, and get plenty of ammo!!

Purduegrad05

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I love threads like this, it allows you to brainstorm, and do a little daydreaming too
. Here's my opinion on budget, midrange and dream setup, and some explinations.

Budget:

Pistol: Hi-point 9mm ($125-150)
Long Rifle: Mosin Nagat 91/30 - 7.62x54R ($80-$120)
Battle Rifle: AK-74 5.45x39 ($300-$400)
Shotty: Maverick 88 12ga. (

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DropInABucket

Money is the bottom line no matter what you choose. If you can afford the top of the line stuff, do so. If you can't, set your sights a little lower and go for reliable yet inexpensive. Your budget picks and Mid Range picks are good choices to me. I own all but one of the two groups, and I'm more than satisfied with their quality and performance.

A name brand is not necessary for a firearm to carry out the role of protection. It simply has to shoot straight, be easy to maintain, and reliable. Everything else is window dressing. Military surplus guns are a great bargain if you exercise a just a modicum of caution when purchasing them.

[edit on 3/17/08 by LLoyd45]

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join