It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Your Opinion, what is the best?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
In your opinion, what is the best guns (for the price) to buy from each category? Please give reasons.

Best Pistol?

Best Rifle?

Best Shotgun?

I am looking to start buying weapons . . . and I need some info!

I used to be a cop and used a Glock 17 (9mm). I liked it, and would buy a new one, unless something else is better

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
IMO....

Pistol: Any Glock...very reliable, credible company and good prices. They are the standard for MOST law enforcement departments throughout the world. There are other companies that match/exceed the quality (Kimber/H&K) but don't come close on price a durability for such things as survival.

Rifle: Assault or Hunting? Assault for me is the DPMS AR-15. Very good quality and reputation, and the price tag hasn't gone through the roof like a Colt or Bushmaster. They all use the exact same type casting techniques. Hunting rifle, standard 30-30 brush rifle...

Shotgun: I am a Remington man myself, but if you want great quality with a GREAT price tag..anything by mossberg and your good to go. They make good weapons and have a long history of quality.

Hope that helped

EDIT TO ADD: Don't forget two VERY important things in your prep for survival. A good knife (benchmade,gerber, etc) and a good compact cleaning kit for your weapons....

[edit on 3/16/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the quick reply. Basically you seconded what I was looking at getting (all the way down the knives

As for the type of Rifle . . . dunno yet. AR-15 looks good. I was also looking at the FAL.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Just remember if this ever happens and the world plumits into complete chaos make sure you have a rifle that will be easy to get rounds for. Figure the military and other militia types will be involved.

The .223 round is stockpiled all over, as is the 7.62x39. It will be much easier to take ammo from the dead or stockpiles with these types of rounds. Once you get into odd caliber rounds your supply GREATLY diminishes.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hey, I based my opinions on you being an average size guy.
Best Pistol
Heckler and Koch, usp 45.(internal lazer in guide rod and tac light) Because of quality and accuracy. Well worth the extral $ for a combat pistol.
Best Rifle
Assult m16/ar15/m4 with collapsable stock . Ammo is abundant, easy/cost efficiant to reload, good at 250 yards give or take
Hunting Remmington 700, leupold VX4
Best Shotgun Benelli semi auto. Wicked shotgun….
my favorite (an I am 5ft 125 pounds)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
In regards to a 30-30 brush rifle, if you have ever visited an area that isn't heavily wooded, anything you can see is already out of range. A 30-30 has a max range of 200 yards even with the new leverlution rounds. You would want a rifle ( rem 700 heavy barrel with high quality optic and bipod ) in 300 win mag for the long shots. If every thing goes down the crapper, not only does a rifle such as this come in handy as a sniper rifle, but there would be very heavy hunting pressure on the wild game and you would want to be able to take a longer shot ( 400-700 yards ) to keep yourself well fed. There is something to be said for the .308, but you just don't have the accuracy or the punch at longer ranges. Deer & antelope hunting in the Dakotas, I have found that over the years, the average distace that I have harvested game is at 250 to 400 yards. This is the average, I love a close 50 to 100 yard shot, but I have taken 1 at 735 yards with a good prone position.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by starskipper

Keep in mind, we aren't talking surviving as in the lost hiker kinda deal. This will be survival with enemies around, planes, etc...last place you'll find me is out near or in an open field etc. I will stay in the brush and sit for my kills rather then expose myself. So to me a 30-30 is perfect.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It also depends on weather you will be in the open or waiting in the dark from the comfort of your couch. I suggest a good spotlight for either as it gives you the advantage of blinding your target from close up... Yet then again seeing a red dot on your chest as you enter is always thought provoking too.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Great point,
but half of the United States isn't covered in brush, to wait untill your food comes buy. As for our family plan, we are going to be on the move, versitility is a must for us.
If you haven't visited the upper mid west, I encourage you to do so sometimes. It is not all open fields, it is rolling plaines, grasses grow well over 5 feet tall, scattered trees,cave,valleys and easily found water, very easy to stay "undercover". (and will be more wild if left to go to seed)
Always plan for the unexpected.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
In your opinion, what is the best guns (for the price) to buy from each category? Please give reasons.

Best Pistol?

Best Rifle?

Best Shotgun?

Best Three on a Budget

1. Hi-Point C9
  2. Hi-Point 995C 9mm Carbine
  3. Mossberg 500 12 Guage

I know people are going to starting ragging on the Hi-Points, but I own several, and I dare anyone to find a better gun at twice the price. They shoot more accurately than most people can, they rarely jam, and they come with a lifetime warranty should they ever need servicing. The magazines from the carbines will also fit the handguns as a added bonus. They're also in a common caliber and ammo will be easy to find. The Mossberg needs no buildup, it's a known performer.

Mid-Range Low Profile

1. Ruger GP100 .357/.38 4" barrel
  2. Marlin 336W 30-30
  3. Mossberg 500 12 Gauge

These are all quality firearms, they're common calibers, suitable for hunting and self-protection, and are not threatening or military looking.

I'm a Sitx Warrior Trio

1. M1911A1 .45 Caliber
  2. Garand M1 30.06
  3. Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge

With this trio you're ready for anything, but your wallet is probably much lighter than it previously was. Don't forget to buy plenty of ammo, and some spare magazines.

[edit on 3/16/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Nice on the Hi Point. I will buy a C9 and check it out. If I like it, I will try the carbine. Mossberg is going to be for sure.

The C9 will get me started.

After those, I will be getting a Glock, a FAL, an AR15, and last, a .50 cal just for the hell of it.

Also, I want my kids to know and respect guns. What should I start them with (besides paintball . . . ?
)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I'm not going to rag on a high point c9. The only jamming problems I have had have been all me, not gun related. For 125 bucks the thing works like a charm, it seems awkard when I first got it but it is not to heavy for my hand and balances well. And really important to me is it doesn't get dirty fast.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I guess it would depend on how old, and how large your children are. I started my boys on Davey Crickett rifles. They're single shot .22's, they're inexpensive, and have a short length of pull. Remember, people with shorter arms need smaller guns. They look like toys, but their not. They're real rifles and really shoot well. They even come with integral locks and keys for added safety.

They were easy for them to shoulder and load (one round at a time) and helped them learn the basics of shooting. Even though my boys are older and much larger now, they still like using their cricketts for plinking and target shooting.

The next rifle I bought them was a Ruger 10/22, which is probably one of the best semi-autos on the market. 100% reliable, reasonably priced, have great accuracy, and are a blast to shoot. Hope that helps.

PS
You can't go wrong with the C9. It isn't the prettiest gun on the market, but it will definitely grow on you once you see how realiable and accurate it is. The carbine is even better than the pistol, if that's possible!

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
What is the difference between the 9mm and the 9mm Comp . . . besides the price?

Sorry . . . needed a second line

[edit on 16/3/2008 by xxpigxx]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The compensated model is a little larger, and has a compensator attached to the front of the barrel to help prevent muzzle lift when firing. Honestly I don't think it's necessary. The gun has practically no muzzle lift in the first place, or at least not in my opinion.

My wife can shoot the C9 with no trouble, and she's very petite. An average sized guy should have no trouble. Save your money and just get the plain C9.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Ahh . . . I see . . . Thank you for the answer. I will stick to the lower priced version. Does it come with 8 rnd clip or 10 rnd clip?

[edit on 16/3/2008 by xxpigxx]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
They come with 8rds, but you can use the 10rd ones that fit the carbine as well. There are also 15rd mags for the carbines that will also fit the pistols.

I haven't actually purchased a 15 rounder though, so maybe someone else can speak as to their quality. The 10's work just fine though.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Best Pistol?

Best Rifle?

Best Shotgun?

I used to be a cop and used a Glock 17 (9mm). I liked it, and would buy a new one, unless something else is better

Give me a budget and I will give you some realistic answers.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Wouldn't it make sense to get clear before things start happening, rather than plan to confront massive trained military forces with super-advanced weaponry?

I mean, I know Jones acts like it's gonna be know big deal, but these people can target you with lazers from space anywhere on the planet, not to mention the other types of scalar and HAARP technology - how exactly do you plan on fighting such a force?

I mean, I am all for owning guns, but isn't it totally delusional to even consider violent resistance a valid option at this point?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If you plan to fight an army, you're screwed anyway, but if you just want to get by, a basic assortment of firarms won't hurt. Others will be armed whether you are or not.

I'm not talking about weapons to play Johnny Rambo with, all that will do is get you killed. If you're not a former combat soldier, your best bet is to keep a low profile. Defend yourself if you must.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join