It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that time travel will never happen

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I wanted to say that Einstein thought time travel was possible by moving close to the speed of light, Stephen Hawking believes time travel is possible by entering a black hole. There is a video on this www.youtube.com...

There are a couple big reasons your hypothesis is in error. 1st, if someone had a time machine in the future they would probably not tell us they are from the future, and even if they said they were we wouldn't believe them, 2nd time travel may only be possible to go into the future, it is theroized that if we go 50 percent the speed of light we will jump 3 years into the future. 3rd, even if someone came from the future they would not go into our past, but it would cause a break in the space time continuum and divert another timeline separate from our own. So they may change their own future by going into the past but they can never change our because our timeline is fixed.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

How long is the present.. or your 'right now'? A second.. half a second..a millisecond.. Whoops.. goes pretty quick doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
There is no length for right now.
Past, future and present are all one. They all exist at the same time. We just call already happened events past and those yet to happen future.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I remember reading an article once that stated that time travel had been successfully tested in a lab environment using particles and a reflector. The gest of it was that the particles returned before being reflected.

I can't find that article again but this might be related:
Scientists break speed of light in lab test
www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If people did travel to here from the future they wouldn´t be daft enough to show themselves or interact with us would they?

If they were so advanced then they would be intelligent enough to realize that interaction could cause disaster int he future.

Therefore this isn´t a valid argument against time travel.

Time doesn´t exist in the sense to be travel along or in, thats the main reason against it.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Check this out!
www.phys.uconn.edu...

[edit on 16-3-2008 by HarryJohnson]

[edit on 16-3-2008 by HarryJohnson]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmintI hate to be the party pooper here, but the future does not yet exist, and the past does not exist anymore either.

The multiverse provides for all logically possible versions of reality. There is a version in there somewhere where you are right right now and will still be tomorrow, and one where you're run over by a bus tomorrow. And maybe there's at least one in there where you never existed, and thus couldn't possibly be there tomorrow. Or maybe you could be if you possibly knew how. Every possible outcome of your life has already been define and provided for within the infinite matrix of all possible possibilities. The eternal multiverse, which holds the entire never-ending definition of what nothing is not.

Hope that this version of reality you are experiencing right now is the one where nothing tragic happens for a long time to come ~ and that our free will choices allow us to navigate a course through the multiverse to any of the possible versions of reality which we may desire and choose from for tomorrow.

Time travel may simply involve a decision of: into which version of reality do you choose to navigate to and awaken within tomorrow. The one where you missed the bus? The one where space aliens abduct you for lunch? The one where you are 8 years old again, but in an alternate version of what your life was here?

I hear that the multiverse is a pretty big thing. Makes one wonder, if you had a time machine thingy, you could probably explore the matrix for forever and still never get to see it all and every possible version of what you could have done and become tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
On a recent C2C George and William Henry were talking about a few Russian scientists who were worried about the new Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN could rip open the fabric of time and allow time travelers to enter our timeline. I think George said he found the article in the Daily Mail (which obviously sounds very reputable) but I'm not sure. The LHC is going to be fired up in May so who knows, can't wait for it either way.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This one time when I was thinking about the time traveling I came up with an idea that maybe the UFO's are actually piloted by humans from the future. They are flying over us and observing. Trying to realise what have they done wrong in the past that has caused some probable disasters in the future.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have some evidence that time travellers exist:

Shoeprints have been found and carbon dated at times where man or even vertebrates heavy enough to make such prints existed.

half proof because it may be aliens.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
My opinion on Time travel is that its just not possible and just wishful thinking , nor do I believe in a parallel universe both belong in tv shows like Star trek and Stargate. As for travelling into the future how does that work when the future hasnt happened yet .. ?

Ackers...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ackers46

Perhaps, you need to rethink the way you think about time travel. Think of it this way, time travel is not so much about being able to change prior or future events, but about decreasing the distance of space time. Only by warping space time will the realities of interstellar travel become evident.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I am a time traveler.

I'm traveling forward in time right now. It seems impossible to travel backward though.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
By the time we're advanced enough to create time machines, we'll probably also have personal cloaking devices and various other tech to keep hidden.

In fact it would be more efficient to send a probe into the past, record all of it holographically, and then people in the future could witness the past without having to actually go there.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It`s funny, because most people fail to realize the simplicity of time travel paradoxes. If we look away from the multiple-universes theory, there is actually no way you can change the past. Example 1: I know for a fact that i will never be able to go back in time and kill myself or my mother, because i`m alive right now. Same thing goes for someone going back and messing up a historical event, because since it has already gone down the way we remember it, it can be changed.. its in the past.. it has allready happened! Only thing is someone from the future could CAUSE historical events, but they cant CHANGE them.
Example 2: You cant change the future: If i were to see my future self kill someone, I could never not go back in time and not do it.. Because it has allready happened!
I`m sorry if my thoughts are messy, but it really makes a lot of sence when you think about it

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritfilled

You are correct time travel simply cannot occur. Why? Because you are always in the present. Time is just a tool of measurement, numbers which physically do not exist. The numbers are our dates which mark past - present events in this dimension.

The future we set for ourselves is affected by the very things, little or small, that we do every second of our existence. Like that movie sliding doors, a one-second pause to scratch that itch could be the difference between you just missing the car and it hitting you.

However I do believe that all the existence in the universe has been recorded in some kind of frequency in some kind of database that exist everywhere. It could be the place where DNA gets the knowledge (blueprints) of all the DNA based life on Earth.

A theory of mine is that this universal database, if accessed would allow us to view everything that has ever happened in our universe. It would be awesome.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Either way,time travel is all in the mind.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ackers46
My opinion on Time travel is that its just not possible and just wishful thinking , nor do I believe in a parallel universe both belong in tv shows like Star trek and Stargate.?
You know that for certain, do you? Or is that your answer based upon what you currently know and are able to currently comprehend? Are you expressing wishful thinking too, or do you really know for sure?

As for travelling into the future how does that work when the future hasnt happened yet ..
Isn't that a little bit like saying the final chapter in a book you're reading doesn't exist yet, just because you've not read it yet?

Here's a thought, for any god believing and religious folks out there. Certainly all omnipotent deity believers must believe time travel to and fro anywhere is possible, otherwise your god is not so omnipotent and all powerful. Or do religious beliefs and their contrived dogma define and limit their omnipotent gods powers, thus making time travel impossible? I would think every god subscriber would have to admit time travel must be at least possible. An omnipotent deity should be able to make anything possible, even time travel, right? Can anyone confirm this thought and belief? I would hate to think our omnipotent god is not so omnipotent after all, ha.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
check out www.johntitor.com.... maybe your opinion will change..

it is an interesting story that could be true. If it is, then time travle exists.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritfilled

I don't know if this has been said before, but you are looking at this from a very limited perspective. Time travel as a metaphysical possibility is a pretty big topic of debate these days among philosophers. The possibility of time travel seems to be largely dependent on the nature of time itself. The big battle right now is between Endurantism (the idea that when an object exists at a certain time, the whole of the object is existent at that time) and Perdurantism (the idea that when an object exists at a certain time, only a part of that object exists at that time, and the sum of all of the instances that the object existed is equal to the whole of the object), as time travel as a phenomenon can only exist if perdurantism is right about the nature of existence. This is because if an object wholly exists at one time A, and the same object at time B travels back to time A, the object must be identical to itself, as they are both wholly the same object, but they would have contradicting characteristics (such as their locations in space) thus generating a paradox. Time itself would have to be multi-dimensional, because the past cannot be changed in a one dimensional timeline. Thus, if time were multidimentional, going back in time and changing something would merely generate an alternate timeline that branches off of the main timeline, and we would not be able to see time travelers in our own timeline.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join