It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Evolutionists"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Since the term that this thread is arguing against is still being used, I'm bumping this thread rather than creating a new one (it's a fairly short thread anyway.)

Please stop using the term 'evolutionist' or even worse 'evilutionist', it's not accurate and it diminishes the scientific understanding involved in the theory of evolution.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
In before the first person says "we didn't evolve from monkeys"

Evolution is fact, you can twist and turn it as you want. Imo the idea of a deity and evolution aren't even mutually exclusive, but I guess some people don't accept that because they're so into their "talking snake" theory.

Sad really...but in 100 years our children's children will look back and laugh at how stupid we were putting faith over facts.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Sad really...but in 100 years our children's children will look back and laugh at how stupid we were putting faith over facts.
reply to post by MrXYZ

If our childrens children are here in 100 yrs. I'm sure they will have much
better names to call us, for much better reasons.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

reply to post by MrXYZ

If our childrens children are here in 100 yrs. I'm sure they will have much
better names to call us, for much better reasons.

Sadly true...we're pretty good at messing things up in general at the moment

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This thread is making my brain hurt, so let me define evolution.

Evolution - The change in the gene pool of a population. This happens all the time. It can be observed and tested for. We know that the process of evolution occurs.

The Theory of Evolution is simply an explanation of how evolution works, and it's actually pretty well established and supported.

"Evolutionist" is a pretty poor term to use. It's pretty much the same as calling a group of people "Additionalists" because they "believe" numbers can be added together, or calling a group of people "Amino Acidalists" because they "believe" proteins are made up of amino acids.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
It would really advance your cause to find an atheist who didnt believe in evolution.

I knew of an atheist once who answered "No" when somebody asked him randomly: "Do you believe in Evolution?"

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

It's possible. Atheism is an answer to the question of the existence of one or more deities, not as to any other questions.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Bumping this again. People are still using the term 'evolutionist'

You cannot be an 'evolutionist' anymore than you can be a 'germist' or a 'cell-ist" or a 'gravitist' or a 'big bangist'

Evolution is a scientific theory in the field of biology, not a belief system. It has nothing to do with anything other than biodiversity.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

It's "gravitistas" and they all talk Spanish...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
New pledge. Whenever someone uses the term 'evolutionist' or 'evolutionism', I'm going to bump this thread. Why? Because such terms are idiotic.

It's not like I practice 'special relativityism'.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Bump. The term 'evolutionist' was used in this post right here, so I'm fulfilling my vow to bump this thread at the drop of this idiotic word.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I full on believe in God, but also believe certain aspects of evolution.
I believe we fell from higher dimensions. We wanted to sample the physical. We were warned not to. (Eating the forbidden fruit). So upon entering this dimension we had to evolve physical vehicles for ourselves(our bodies) Starting with simplistic forms, gradually evolving to higher and more receptive forms, (the soul transmigrates from one form to another when the physical shell dies) And here it stays in a constant birth/death cycle, until it realizes it doesn,t belong in this dimension(spiritual awakening) at which point it can be liberated to it's original position as a spiritual being.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bargoose

Originally posted by bargoose

Nobody is saying that you can't believe in both a deity and science. In fact, I'd say it's downright great to simply accept scientific fact and have whatever metaphysical beliefs you want. It's a step up from denying reality.

I believe we fell from higher dimensions. We wanted to sample the physical. We were warned not to. (Eating the forbidden fruit). So upon entering this dimension we had to evolve physical vehicles for ourselves(our bodies) Starting with simplistic forms, gradually evolving to higher and more receptive forms, (the soul transmigrates from one form to another when the physical shell dies) And here it stays in a constant birth/death cycle, until it realizes it doesn,t belong in this dimension(spiritual awakening) at which point it can be liberated to it's original position as a spiritual being.

...that's got nothing to do with science, that's unsupported metaphysics that has nothing to do with this thread. Please, keep threads on topic, put your metaphysics in another thread. Make your own if you wish.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by bargoose

Nobody is saying that you can't believe in both a deity and science. In fact, I'd say it's downright great to simply accept scientific fact and have whatever metaphysical beliefs you want. It's a step up from denying reality.

...that's got nothing to do with science, that's unsupported metaphysics that has nothing to do with this thread. Please, keep threads on topic, put your metaphysics in another thread. Make your own if you wish.

It is science. The science of self realization.
And if thats the case, your thread should be in a science forum, not Origins and creationism forum.But i shall respect your wishes. Goodbye.
edit on 20-2-2011 by bargoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

It is science. The science of self realization.
And if thats the case, your thread should be in a science forum, not Origins and creationism forum.But i shall respect your wishes. Goodbye.

Last I checked science is kinda important in determining our origins objectively...so this definitely belongs in this forum section. What do you want it to be? A "preach whatever belief you follow" forum, even though all of them fail at explaining our origins with credible evidence??

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Doing the Peter Griffin bump for this thread.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero
Doing the Peter Griffin bump for this thread.

Love how that guy combines nazis, communists, George Soros, Darwin, Huxley, and everyone else who disagrees with being a rightwing fundamentalist nut

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

It is true that weak minds are in every class of people.

Even people that have paid to much for their education can not think freely and rely upon the published works of college indoctrinated parrots to bolster their belief system.

Evolution is a fairly tale story that happened long ago and far away and yet no matter how much we look it does not happen today, none of it.
edit on 27-2-2011 by ACTS 2:38 because: t

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Evolution is a fairly tale story that happened long ago and far away and yet no matter how much we look it does not happen today, none of it.

Actually, we've witnessed evolution (including speciation) not only in the lab, but also in nature. Evolution is happening all the time and the fossil/DNA record fully backs that up.

Of course you already know that, you've been around here long enough, you just chose to completely ignore it because it goes against your religious beliefs. That's fine, just kinda silly given the theory of evolution is based on objective evidence, facts, logic, and rationality...while all you have is a 2000 year old book that at best could be considered subjective evidence of what people believed having not even 1% of the scientific knowledge we have today.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38

It is true that weak minds are in every class of people.

Except for the strong-minded.

Even people that have paid to much for their education can not think freely and rely upon the published works of college indoctrinated parrots to bolster their belief system.

Wow, that's a generally moronic statement. Honestly, you do realize that these 'published works' are based in evidence and reason, not in some parroted dogma? I hope you realize that the works of science aren't like the works of religion where you have to take everything that is established as gospel truth.

Evolution is a fairly tale story

Nope, evolution is a verified scientific fact.

that happened long ago

Nope, happening right now. It's unfolding right before our eyes. I'll let you in on a horrible little secret. You are part of the ongoing process of evolution.

and far away and yet no matter how much we look it does not happen today, none of it.

Well, that's if you put on your patented Bible blinders when reading things. I have shown you and many other creationists positive proof of evolution happening right now. Nylon-eating bacteria. Fish living evolving to adapt to water than has been artificially contaminated. Speciation events. Anytime that you take an antibiotic? You're strengthening your flora for antibiotic resistance. All of this is evolution that's happening right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join