It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to turning the other cheek?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I know we are not allowed to use bad words in our posts so i will not use them myself, but this video I feel is something people need to see if they haven't already seen this... It has a couple guys teasing what look to be mormon missionaries inviting them to something... They throw water balloons at them, getting the 2 missionaries wet... I would not post this if the missionaries just left and said they would pray for them, but instead they bust out in anger and violence... This causes the other 2 guys to use a few cuss words... I'm not that good at editing video so I can bleep them out...

I mailed Simon about this video to see if it was ok, so if not this may get deleted, but I feel it's important if the video is an actual occurrence...

Not only does it show what the missionaries go through, but doesn't this also show how the religion they represent is a bunch of hot air? Kind of scary if you ask me... They go from "hello brother" to Satan at a flip of a water balloon, is this the true side of the mormon religion?

[edit on 13-3-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Sigh. It is a very sad world we live in now. Force overiding someone just having a meltdown. Which is so much more prevalent nowadays. It is sad. Does anyone remember the cops or american most wanted of the cop with some kind of psychic stuff going on. He kept dreaming of the boy with the red rose. Finally found him in a diner, it was a tatoo. This officer turned so many around when he died he had a waiting area for so many to speak of him and what he did for their lives. It was new york if i remember.

[edit on 13-3-2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 13-3-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Ya I don't know what is sadder the fact that the guys in the house teased them or the fact that the missionaries acted the way they did? Tis the dismal tide...

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Guily as charged. I can get really pissed at telesales people. In all fairness, theyre invading my privacy and wasting my time so its totally justified!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

I found this video quite entertaining. Yeah, the guys were a bit harsh, but c'mon! They were just trying to get the missionaries to leave them alone, while making a statement against their intrusion of waking the dude up. You can see the guy throwing balloons is making a careful effort to lob them so that break on the ground - not like he's chucking them full force into the sheep's faces.

If you are a missionary, you must expect some resistance. And if you truly persist in forcing your beliefs on someone, you get what you deserve. As the OP said, these missionaries should have taken the hint politely and walked away in Christlike humility. But of course those rules don't apply to adherents of dogmatic evangelical religion - the only rule that goes is, if they won't convert, they must suffer...whether in the afterlife or even RIGHT NOW. So the missionary guy resorts to a violent attack...

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Looks contrived to me.....

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
yeah, that is a tough one.
I would like to hear a Morman's perspective on this.
My take, or explanation would be; (for those of us that are American's)
some of us are Republican, Democrat, or other. We are still all American's like I guess the Morman's are Christian. But us Christian's are as diverse in beliefs as Republican and Democrat or others are as American's.
Hopefully that helps explain to non-Christians the difference between Christian's
Nope, I sucked at that explanation but maybe you can parse it out.
They are hostile though because I invited them in once to try and convert them to mainstream Christianity and that went over like a fart in church.
(oh, I am against ramming my beliefs down some poor person's throat but these guys were fair game)
Try getting them to explain how only 144,000 people are going to heaven and there are more Morman's alone than that number.
Like I said, I would love to hear a Morman's view on that video, but I think I will be the first person they are going to say is going to hell on this thread.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Same here. It looks pretty staged to me. And I don't think I've ever heard Mormons not gush about how wonderful it is to meet you and speak to you and oh by the way stop by the church would you?

I'm calling hijinks

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
Try getting them to explain how only 144,000 people are going to heaven and there are more Morman's alone than that number.
Like I said, I would love to hear a Morman's view on that video, but I think I will be the first person they are going to say is going to hell on this thread.

I think they believe only 144,000 will actually be in Heaven (with God) while the remaining saints dwell on the Earth (with Jesus) in the eternal Messianic Kingdom. Something like that at least. It doesn't mean only 144,000 will be saved.

But if you listen closely, the video refers to them as Jehovah's Witnesses and not Mormons so I don't know. I can't ever keep those two apart.

All theology aside and assuming this video is legit, it looked like the guy didn't really 'lose it' until the guy threw a water balloon at the woman missionary behind the car. Instead of holding their Mormon or JW beliefs against them (still not really sure what they are), it is a typical human male response to 'defend the female.'

It would have been a heck of a lot more funny if they had the good sense of humor to pick up some balloons and to all get into a water balloon fight in a friendly fashion but oh well. This, again, is assuming the events weren't completely faked.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well I'm really not sure if that video was legit or not. If it was it really makes me sick.

I'm not a JW or a Mormon. I do not agree with their beliefs. But I'm not going to be rude to them just because they knocked on my door to try to get me saved or whatever. There is really no need for that type of behavior. And I really don't blame the missionaries for getting upset at those snot-nosed punks for throwing water balloons at them.

And no, it does not prove that their religion, or any religion for that matter, is just a bunch of hot air. The missionaries responded in a way that anybody would when treated in such an unkind and disrespectful manner. Nobody is perfect, regardless of what they claim to believe.

Some may see this as "proof" of hypocrisy in religion. But all I see is a bunch of snot punks having a laugh at the expense of another human being.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightmare

I'm going to disagree... You step onto my property, invade my privacy, and then ask me to join your religion so that you can get "extra credit" in heaven (or at least, in your church) and yeah, I'm going to put you through the wringer.

Last guys who showed up on my doorstep, I tried to convert to Islam. I also enjoy answering the door in the nude.

If you want to convert me, bugging me first thing in hte morning isn't going to win you any points.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I believe those guys were definatly in the wrong. People deserve a little respect. However, I have been known to hide from the JW and Mormons in my area. I don't want to join their group even if it is the 20th time you've asked me. And standing at my door knocking for 5 minutes at 8:30 in the morning on my day off is a good way to make me angry, but the worst I've ever done is yelled not intereseted at them from behind the closed door. I beleive some of these groups go a little over board. If a person says no once thats that. Don't keep asking or pushing the issue!

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightmare
Nobody is perfect, regardless of what they claim to believe.

There is actually one person who was, his name is Jesus... It was him that taught to turn the other cheek and pray for those for they do not know what they do... Am I wrong here? If you don't believe in the lord, then yes your point of view would be correct... Are you saying the missionaries are "any other people" and don't believe in God and this is the reason they reacted like this? The missionaries aren't just "any other people" they are representing God as missionaries... right? If these guys threw balloons at a couple random people walking on the street for no reason then a reaction like this would be warranted...

[edit on 13-3-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Sorry to disappoint you. But the missionaries are not Jesus. So yes, they are just people, regardless of their beliefs.

A person can try to represent God all they want but they are still only human. Still sinners. Still mortal. Still imperfect.

Christians are not perfect. They're just forgiven for their imperfections.

[edit on 3/13/2008 by Lightmare]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightmare

Good point, but just for the record I did not say they were Jesus, they are representing the lord, they are on a mission at which point they should be at their best right? Walk away and go home and punch a wall or something... The fact they blew up so fast is what got me... It's not like the 2 guys tormented these 2 missionaries to the point of breaking, they just blew up and for very little... At least you can see that much... I agree with you that everyone is human and everyone is not perfect and yes it's human nature to defend yourself and yes people loose it sometimes... That being said my opinion is wrong place wrong time...

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I live by the motto live and let live. Unless you are about to hurt me or a friend/family member.....In that case it's two to the pumper and one to the computer....Let Jesus forgive them, and judge me.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Those punk ass scum deserve to be stomped bloody. No matter what your religous beliefs, those people came to their door trying to do what they believe was gods work trying to do good. If they had done that to anyone I know...well, they would be lucky to survive the consequences. Turn the other cheek..my ass!! They better hope that couple aren't Mormons. People who deserve no respect, respect no one. Punk Ass Cowards.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ahahaha! That is hilarious. Why are so many of you taking this seriously?

And the best thing to do when these people approach you is to tell them that you're muslim, they'll quickly get off your face.

posted on Mar, 14 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I have to add a few more points pertaining to that video but more, about the reactions I am seeing that to the video itself.

None of us likes having preachers and salespeople invading our space, until we need what they have to offer. However, this is supposed to be a civilazation where people treat each other with mutual respect. We have laws for those who do not know how to act civilized and whether any of you believe or recognize it or not, those "Boys" assaulted that couple and if the police had been called, they would be in jail, not the "Door To Door Preachers. If you doubt this, then you may well learn it the hard way, as our prisons are full of such people.

Don't confuse the crimes our Government and Law Enforcement and those in Authority commit as a blanket release from the laws of our land and standards for civil conduct.

No one likes a s thug and those punks are thugs, bullies. I have no dount if a couple of football players for the local college were going door to door selling raffle tickets, these pissants would not have pulled out those water balloons. Think about it and you will know what cowards they are.

There are many of us who relate and are from the side of our Government, the Cops...LAW and ORDER....we paid for bonds to build more prisons, to hire more cops; we are the Majority..we pay our taxes. If faced with a choice between our Government and Laws, and thugs like those guys and people like them, guess what, they are screwed. Think what you like...be tough..show no respect..go ahead and think your rights include showing no regard or respect for other people..go ahead, act like cool thugs..go a ahead and believe your rights to free speech will protect you...go ahead, you're not my kids or responibility. Show respect for people, know the difference between right and wrong, and live by it, that's being an American...or don't, that is what Operation Garden Plot was designed for and I am sure they will have plenty of room.

As for those Mormon's (I guess that is what they are) I would very much like to hear about what followed because I know Mormons and when that couple goes back and tells what was done, I doubt anyone is turning the other cheek...I know I wouldn't.

This is not a personal attack towards anyone or anything except slimmy behavior

The only chance many people have is to win over those of us

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MajKarma

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but then at the same time what you say does not grant the mormons the right to do what they did... I agree the bullies are out of line and being aholes, but still the reaction of the mormons is rather shocking... It's obvious the bullies are cowards, the mormons whooped them in the end... Did you miss that part?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join